The Civil Engineer
role will provide assurance of the safe performance and reliability of new civil infrastructure and will provide technical quality assurance and value engineering to civil maintenance and new construction projects in order to ensure Goal Zero, reliable production.
As a member of the Shell Puget Sound Refinery MEC and Reliability Department, reporting to MEC and Reliability Manager, Civil Engineer will:
- Responsible for site civil assurance and strategy
- provide technical support, assurance, and value engineering to capital and maintenance projects.
- Responsible for the civil inspection program, including scope, inspection, documentation, and repair recommendations as appropriate
- Responsible for civil infrastructure plan, including civil infrastructure strategies, update of 10 year plan and/or MTO database
- Responsible for writing appropriate NRM and Maintenance Capital IPs as required to initiate funding for civil assets as well as updates monthly
- Provides support (ad hoc) to the Reliability Production Teams
- Works with environmental department to ensure appropriate permitting - example wharf maintenance permits
- Responsible for assuring appropriate drawings, data (GSAP), and reports for civil disciplines are assigned / maintained
- Inspect and repair based on strategies in Civil Master Plan.
- Support with timely technical advice, best practices and competitive specifications/standards to enable top quartile operating performance and goal zero.
- provide oversight of engineering consultants' activities to ensure technical integrity, constructability, functionality and reliability of the deliverables.
- serve as Civil Management of Change (MOC) technical reviewer.
- act as a technical authority of PCAP control points.
- As needed, may serve as project engineer for small capital jobs for civil engineering work
- support departmental initiatives.
- be the civil representative for abnormal situation management and deliver single-discipline in-house designs as requested.
- Contribute to the development and update of Specifications, Standards, best practices, and design tools within skill pool.
- Responsible for submitting appropriate TA scope, writing or assuring BOMs for TA, and supporting inspection, execution phase and documentation as appropriate.
- May be Contract Holder (Contract Safety HSSE management)
- Accountable for delivery of Civil technical assurance and value engineering for the capital & maintenance projects and civil infrastructure programs.
- No direct reports. Manages priorities of Contract Civil Inspector (part time)
- Active member of the COP discipline skill pool network.
- Because this is a run/maintain manufacturing facility - there are both reactive and planned work events that require support beyond 9/80 schedule. For larger events - this can include taking vacation around these events
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemical companies with about 84,000 employees across more than 70 countries. We aim to meet the world's growing need for more and cleaner energy solutions in ways that are economically, environmentally and socially responsible. We have expertise in exploration, production, refining and marketing of oil and natural gas, and the manufacturing and marketing of chemicals. As a global energy company operating in a challenging world, we set high standards of performance and ethical behaviors. We are judged by how we act and how we live up to our core values of honesty, integrity and respect for people. Our Business Principles are based on these. They promote trust, openness, teamwork and professionalism, as well as pride in what we do and how we conduct business.Building on our core values, we aspire to sustain a diverse and inclusive culture where everyone feels respected and valued, from our employees to our customers and partners. A diverse workforce and an inclusive work environment are vital to our success, leading to greater innovation and better energy solutions.Requirements
- Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer.
- Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering required; Master's Degree in Civil/Structural Engineering preferred.
- Minimum seven (7) years in Civil & Structural Engineering required; preferably in the Oil & Gas Industry.
- Technical Competencies per Civil Engineering Competency Management Framework. Will be expected to achieve Shell's TA3 within 1 year in role, TA2 eventually.
- Must have demonstrated Proficiency Skill Level on several of the competencies: site and route characterization, concept development, basis for design, materials selection including QA/QC methods and inspection requirements, safety in civil design, geotechnical design, foundation engineering, development of ground works & enabling infrastructure, design and construction management for civil works, detailed design of steel and concrete structures, advanced civil design and analysis, development of coastal and marine facilities, fabrication, construction, commissioning, structural integrity assessment and life extension.
- Experience with Operations, operating unit exposure and support, and asset integrity management is an advantage.
- Experience in technical evaluation and cost estimating for facilities options.
- Experience with project construction.
- Skilled in structural steel and concrete design and fabrication.
- Skilled in STAAD and/or RISA 3D required.
- Skilled in the design of deep and shallow foundations for static equipment.
- Skilled in marine facilities and coastal protection.
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date.
Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world.
The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand.
Shell participates in E-Verify.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, citizenship, genetic information or other protected status under federal, state or local laws.
Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability.