Skills: Design Engineer
Education: Some College
Employment Type: Full Time Salaried Employee
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland, United Kingdom
In order to apply for this position, applicants MUST meet the following criteria. If your resume does not match these criteria, you will not be able to apply for this position.
Authorized to work in: United Kingdom
Our Client is looking for a Senior Design Engineer, on a permanent staff basis, location in Aberdeen.
The preparation of innovative designs backed with engineering calculations, analysis and manufacturing drawings.
Taking ownership of projects and seeing them through to completion, including concept development, purchasing of parts, overseeing and coordinating build and test of equipment, compiling product documentation and operational procedures, ensuring within budget and on time delivery of products.
- Responsible for multifaceted engineering design projects, from concept through to production, providing project specific bespoke engineering solutions.
- Creation, maintenance and review of engineering drawings and schematics for use in the manufacture, assembly and testing of products; using proprietary CAD packages.
- Preparation of design packages for conducting, recording and actioning design reviews.
- Undertake engineering calculations, source and select supplementary components and materials, enabling effective design optimization and ensuring fitness for purpose.
- Modify existing products to meet internal and external customer requirements.
- Assess cost implications of design changes or new designs, informing projected costs to the Engineering Manager.
- Preparation of test and operational procedures, and quality management documentation.
- Compilation of technical documentation; reports, calculations, specifications, parts lists, assembly, test and operational procedures, manufacturing data, risk and failure-mode analyses.
- Interfacing and technical liaison with other company staff, clients and suppliers.
- Leadership responsibility for assigned engineering designers to ensure successful project completion and team targets are achieved.
- To ensure all work is carried out to high standards and in line with quality system requirements.
Education & Qualifications
- Accredited Honors Engineering Degree with Masters/Post Graduate preferred. Working towards or already achieved Chartered status is desirable.
- Candidates with a non-accredited HNC/HND and relevant experience will also be considered for the position.
- Essential: Track record of engineering competency and delivery in the Oil and Gas industry and able to demonstrate effective project management and leadership skills.
- Experience in the design of Drilling tools and products. Knowledge of Drilling Jars, Fishing tools and other Drilling and Downhole products.
- Must have knowledge of applicable National and International Design Standards.
- Preferred/Desirable: Experienced user of ANSYS engineering analysis software would be beneficial.
Specific Training / Specialist Skills
- Proven track record in design & commissioning.
- Able to travel offshore and abroad as required.
- Proficient in the use of 3D CAD (Autodesk Inventor) preferable.
- Supervision and mentorship of junior staff.
Personal Skills and Qualities
- Excellent oral & written communication skills.
- Strong problem-solving skills and self-motivated,
- Looks for ways to do things better, faster more efficiently.
- Professional, reliable and consistent approach to work.
- Able to work independently and with small teams to agreed deadlines and priorities.
- Flexible approach to working.
- An awareness of the environmental impact of design ideas.
- Methodical, proactive and naturally inquisitive.
There may be a requirement to work offshore at well sites and to travel overseas to oversee, undertake and report on the implementation of new technologies and product deployment and recovery.