The position is for a Mechanical Design & Research Engineer who will work as part of the Artificial Lift Systems Research and Technology Development team. Said team is tasked with researching, conceptualizing, designing and qualifying next generation artificial lift systems. The candidate will work in an innovative, challenging and rewarding environment with a team of highly qualified diverse professionals focused on pushing the limits of artificial lift technology through customer focus, creative thinking, research, design, analysis, prototyping, engineering test and field testing. The candidate will interact customers along with a board range of internal and external technical experts to create and validate new technology to be integrated into internal business solutions or external commercial product offerings.Essential Responsibilities:
- Mechanical systems design of artificial lift technologies for both surface and subsurface equipment from the conceptual design phase and progressing though the preliminary and detailed design phases to culminate in equipment qualification and test
- Design and or selection of mechanical elements or subsystems including but not limited to seals, mechanisms, power train, hydraulics, pneumatics, couplings, sensors and enclosures which could involve many aspects such thermal analysis, structural analysis (static and dynamic), tolerance and GD&T analysis, fluid dynamics and materials engineering
- Create detailed mechanical design packages sufficient to fully define and validate the integrity of the design. Said design package to include: analyses / calculations necessary to substantiate the design, drawings, tolerance and GD&T analysis, test plans and a formal whitepaper summarizing the design and lessons learned.
- Hands on assembly, trouble shooting and root cause analysis of mechanical systems
- Support the development and execution of project plans which could include, schedule and budget planning, conceptual design, prototyping, design for reliability and manufacturability, interfacing with vendors, qualification testing and documentation
- Support development and documentation of system, subsystem and component requirements
- Interface with internal and external customers on items including project scope, requirements, detailed drawings, field testing, root cause analyses and additional topics as required by the project
- Support the development of project plans by developing: task lists, engineering estimates, resource requirements, project schedules, technical risk assessments and mitigation plans
- Capability to effectively collaborate with other functions such as Supply Chain, Field Operations, Product Line Managers and Customer Relation teams to: ensure project tasks are completed within allocated schedule and budget, develop understanding of business operations, and disseminate technical knowledge
- Interface with internal and external customers in professional manner
- Perform special projects as required
- Degree in Mechanical Engineering: Bachelor's Degree with 6+ years' experience or Master's Degree with 4+ years' experience. Work experience shall be in relevant mechanical design engineering role. Compensation will be commensurate with level of experience and skill set.
- Legal authorization to work in the US. Sponsorship of employment visas will not be offered.
- Strong mechanical engineering skills and the ability to develop a solid working knowledge of wide range of technologies including artificial lift technologies, applications and design practices
- Demonstrated capability to apply closed formed engineering analyses for the design and development of system hardware. This shall include but not be limited to the ability to perform a wide range of engineering calculations in either Excel, MATLAB or Mathcad with a demonstrated proficiency in closed form analyses of component stress, tolerance stack-up, fluid flow and thermal effects.
- Proficiency in:
- Development of detailed mechanical designs and drawings using industry standard 3D modeling packages such as SolidWorks, PRO-E or NX CAD (NX CAD is preferred)
- GD&T & Tolerance Analysis
- Checking and release of engineering drawings and specifications
- MS Office applications such as Word, PowerPoint and Excel
- ANSI/ASME Y14 drawing standards
- Understanding of design for manufacture, assembly and reliability methodology
- Skilled at written and verbal communication
- Ability to build strong peer relationships as well as work independently
- MS Office applications including Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Visio
- Demonstrated ability to complete project work on time and within budget
- Must be action oriented and driven to achieve results while receiving moderate to minimal supervision
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to build strong peer relationships
- Must be willing to travel
- Must be willing to office in Claremore, OK.
- A practical and theoretical background in new product design (conceptual, preliminary, detailed design), manufacturing, prototype development and engineering which is supported by prior work experience
- 4+ years working as mechanical design engineer in a new product development role focused on design, analysis and manufacture of mechanical components and systems. Experience with the design of electromagnetic motors is desired.
- Experience with the following analysis tools: FEA and CFD
- Experience in working in cross functional teams and matrix organizations
- Prior experience in aerospace, automotive or oilfield environment is a plus
- Programming experience in: Fortran, C, C++, Java or other comparable languages
- Experience use of LabVIEW
- Experience working in an innovation and research environment
- Proven ability to think customer-first and effectively prioritize and pivot as required
This is your opportunity to learn more, do more, live the career you have imagined and be part of a truly diverse organization
Baker Hughes is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law. Learn more