Skills: IT - Programming & Database, Design Engineer
Experience: 5 + Years
Education: Masters Degree
Location: Houston, Texas, United States
No location/work authorization restrictions found.
The Data Engineer is responsible for expanding and optimizing the current data and data pipeline architecture as well as optimizing data flow and data collection for various teams (Data Analytics, Software, IOT). The Data Engineer is an experienced data pipeline builder and data wrangler who can optimize data systems and be able to build them from the ground up. The Data Engineer will support our software developers, database architects and data scientists on data initiatives and will ensure optimal data delivery architecture. Data Engineers must be self-directed and comfortable supporting the data needs of multiple teams, systems and products.
Essential Responsibilities & Duties
- As and when required, design, build and maintain optimal data pipeline architecture, including for cloud applications.
- Design scalable infrastructure for consuming and processing big data as and when required.
- Manage large, complex data sets and ensure they meet functional / non-functional business requirements.
- Identify, design and implement internal process improvements: automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery, re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability.
- Develop and maintain data warehouse architecture, schematics and relational/non-relational databases for Analytics requirements.
- Build the infrastructure required for optimal extraction, transformation and loading of data from a wide variety of data sources using SQL, XML and other technologies.
- Work with stakeholders including the Business segments, Data Scientists and Software teams to assist with data-related technical issues and support their data infrastructure needs.
- Work with Data Scientists to support key use cases for machine learning to improve functionality in our data systems.
- Create data tools for analytics and data scientists that assist them in building and optimizing our product into an innovative design.
- Examine data using descriptive analytics to answer questions.
- Keep data secure using industry standards and strategies for security.
- Manage data bases and data models as required. Design and build data pipelines and data streams.
- Design and build data services APIs.
- Build dashboard and reports within BI/visualization tool to specification for data visualization.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's or Masters degree in Applied Mathematics, Science, Engineering or equivalent experience
- 5+ years in a Data Engineer position.
- Experience with RDBMS including one of mysql, postgres, MS SQL, or Oracle.
- Experience developing in NoSQL databases such as HBase, Cassandra, or Accumulo.
- Experience with Cloud Platforms and with cloud data storage and processing techniques such as BigQuerry, GCS, Dataproc etc
- Experience with big data tools: Hadoop, Spark, Kafka, etc.
- Experience with data pipeline and workflow management tools: Jenkins, GitLab, Airflow, etc.
- Experience with Kubernetes, Docker, Jenkins
- Experience in use of BI and visualization tools like Spotfire
- Utilize Python, Java, C#, Scala, SQL, HiveQL and other Big Data tools for data operations
- JSON, Delimited files, HL7
- Analytical thinker
- Conscious of data quality
- Strong communication skills
- Function independently and in a team
- Provide creative and innovative solutions
Schlumberger is an equal employment opportunity employer. Qualified applicants are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
Schlumberger is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor-priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
A tradition of excellence and innovation
We’re the world’s leading provider of integrated pore-to-pipeline technology solutions to the oil and gas industry. We’re also a leading employer in our sector—with a reputation for hiring the best and the brightest people and keeping them at the top of their game through rewarding career-long development opportunities.
Each day, in 85 countries, we help our customers find and produce oil and gas in ways that demonstrate respect for both people and the environment. Today’s industry challenges call for new ideas, techniques, and solutions. If you want to drive your career and want to grow with a company that’s embraced new ways of thinking since 1927, we may have the career for you.
Schlumberger is ranked in the Global Top 10 in Rigzone's 2019 Ideal Employer Rankings.