The Refinery Process Engineer provides process engineering support to the 24x7 production organization to ensure excellence in process safety, reliability, margin/energy optimization, and cost management. The Refinery Process Engineer works closely with the production team to provide technical assurance to unit operations and ensure production plan delivery. In addition, the Refinery Process Engineer plays a key role in proactive technical monitoring, process optimization and troubleshooting support, process safety assurance, continuous improvement, process engineering support for capital projects, and turnaround (TA)planning/execution.
Key activities include:
- Perform proactive technical monitoring to understand process unit performance, troubleshoot operating issues, and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Provide technical assurance to ensure the process units operate within established limits.
- Identify threats to meeting the production plan and business objectives and develop and implement plans to mitigate these threats.
- Utilize a causal approach for problem solving and determining root and contributing causes to unit upsets and reliability events.
- Lead and participate in Management of Change (MOC) activities to ensure robust design for changes to be implemented.
- Participate in Process Hazard Analyses to identify and assess process safety threats and develop recommendations to mitigate these threats.
- Identify opportunities for margin and energy improvements and drive changes to capture these opportunities.
- Ensure optimization of catalyst and chemicals usage.
- Provide process engineering support to TA planning and execution to ensure reliability and TA objectives are met.
- Provide support to capital projects to ensure proper implementation and performance when integrated into existing operating units and systems.
The Refinery Process Engineer will be assigned to a specific process unit to support as part of an area production team. At times, the Refinery Process Engineer may instead be assigned to key studies, projects and improvement activities. Expectations and role will be adjusted to align with experience level.
- Application of both technical competencies and leadership skills to drive unit improvements and problem resolution.
- Management of multiple activities with varying timelines and stakeholder engagement.
- Development of a broad range of technical skills and capabilities to allow for back up support for other operating units.
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemical companies with about 84,000 employees across more than 70 countries. We aim to meet the world's growing need for more and cleaner energy solutions in ways that are economically, environmentally and socially responsible. We have expertise in exploration, production, refining and marketing of oil and natural gas, and the manufacturing and marketing of chemicals. As a global energy company operating in a challenging world, we set high standards of performance and ethical behaviors. We are judged by how we act and how we live up to our core values of honesty, integrity and respect for people. Our Business Principles are based on these. They promote trust, openness, teamwork and professionalism, as well as pride in what we do and how we conduct business.Building on our core values, we aspire to sustain a diverse and inclusive culture where everyone feels respected and valued, from our employees to our customers and partners. A diverse workforce and an inclusive work environment are vital to our success, leading to greater innovation and better energy solutions.
An innovative place to work
There's never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you'll add your talent and imagination to a business with the power to shape the future - whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We're huge advocates for career development. We'll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.Note: Equilon Enterprises LLC d/b/a Shell Oil Products US (Shell) announced it has reached an agreement for the sale of Shell's Martinez Refinery in California to PBF Holding Company LLC, a subsidiary of PBF Energy, Inc., for $1.0 billion consideration, plus the value of hydrocarbon inventory, crude oil supply, and product offtake agreements, and other adjustments. The transaction is subject to closing conditions and regulatory approvals and is expected to close in 2020. Individuals hired to the Martinez Refinery, including, but not limited to, individuals hired through this job posting, are not expected to continue employment with Shell after completion of the sale. PBF Holding Company, LLC is expected to extend offers of employment to Shell's Martinez employees upon the completion of the sale, subject to the terms and conditions of the sale. The information contained herein is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of the duties, responsibilities, terms, and conditions of the job, and may be subject to change at any time.Requirements
- Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer.
- BS in Chemical Engineering or Petroleum Engineering
- Minimum three (3) years experience in refining, petrochemical or other relevant industries in process engineering roles.
- Technical skills:
- Knowledge of refinery or petrochemical processes/equipment and understanding of the interaction between process units is essential
- Knowledge of the MOC work process,
- Knowledge of process safety and safeguarding,
- Heat and mass transfer capabilities,
- Process simulation experience desirable
- Interpersonal skills:
- Ability to work effectively with a broad range of roles and individuals in an industrial setting,
- Stakeholder management, including to senior site leaders,
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.?
- Active TWIC and ability to get TWIC card required
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date.
Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world.
The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand.
Shell participates in E-Verify.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, citizenship, genetic information or other protected status under federal, state or local laws.
Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability.