Chicago, Illinois, United States
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Skills: Civil Engineering, Design Engineer
Experience: 1 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States
In order to apply for this position, applicants MUST meet the following criteria. If your resume does not match these criteria, you will not be able to apply for this position.
Authorized to work in: US
Innovation and excellence create a platform for growth. We have a range of businesses in the United States and Canada, including clean power generation, cogeneration, and energy storage; retail energy sales; and comprehensive services to help customers run their facilities more efficiently and optimize energy and other resource use and expense. Nearly 100 percent of our power generation portfolio is low carbon or renewable. Globally, we are the largest independent power producer and energy efficiency services provider in the world, with operations in 70 countries employing 150,000 people, including 1,000 researchers in 11 R&D centers.
We are looking for talented and motivated individuals to create the future of energy and customer solutions. Join a rewarding and flexible work environment that encourages innovation and creativity to help customers meet their energy challenges today and in the future.
As a Civil Design Engineer for), you will be responsible for all non-electrical aspects of design and site layouts for ground-mounted solar PV installations throughout the USA. This individual's work will be provided to installation contractors, geotechnical firms, permitting authorities, clients, and system owners as part of the complete design of the solar photovoltaic systems. This individual will collaborate with various departments on requests to develop, design, and optimize the projects.
Rate Expectation : 65K Approx.
Essential Job Functions
- Evaluate potential project locations for site suitability, geology, hydrology, topography, and other relevant characteristics to inform PV System Design.
- Potential travel to perform site assessments and due diligence field work throughout the USA in support of project bids, environmental studies, surveying, and construction activities.
- Support Sales and Project Development Departments by sizing potential customer sites using satellite imagery, publicly available land data, and PV system design experience.
- Design PV system including selecting racking/mounting equipment, designing access roads, drainage plans, performing relevant calculations, erosion prevention, and other tasks throughout the design and construction process.
- Assemble system drawing sets in AutoCAD for purposes of bidding, permitting, and construction in accordance with our design standards and methodology.
- Prepare and/or evaluate technical specifications for foundation designs and construction site plans from contractors; Assist Supply Chain department in running RFPs and managing installation, civil, and geotechnical sub-contractors.
- Document completed installations for client as-built drawings for purposes of operations and maintenance.
- Remain up-to-date on new technologies and regulatory conditions including building codes, fire codes, utility requirements, vendor qualifications, industry best practices, safety standards, and relevant standards development.
- Proficiency in design tools such as AutoCAD is required.
- Flexible attitude and technically proficient.
- Creative thinker, first-rate problem solver.
- Entrepreneurial mindset.
- Contributes to companywide strategy.
- Communicates effectively (written and verbal).
- Encourages innovation.
- Takes ownership of projects.
- Shares engineering knowledge.
- Develops leadership skills.
- Self-motivated with the ability to work well within a team environment.
- Must hold a valid driver's license.
Essential Physical Abilities
- Ability to meet highest attendance requirements.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both written and verbally.
- Ability to handle multiple assignments on a timely basis with a high degree of accuracy.
- Ability to use personal computer, calculator, etc.
- Could involve some lifting.
- Travel required (up to 25%).
- Physically able to climb a ladder in excess of 30 feet and work at elevation on roof for extended periods of time in hot or cold weather conditions.
- Bachelor's degree in Civil or Environmental Engineering degree from ABET-accredited university or comparable technical knowledge through demonstrated work experience with a solid understanding of civil site design, land development, and construction operations.
- 1-2 years' experience in a similar position, designing civil land development projects and producing construction drawing sets and documentation, ideally in a power systems industry
- Experience with Adobe and Office suite