The Modeling & Optimization Engineer (MOE)
is a member of the Process Automation Control & Optimization (PACO) Team within the Asset's Technology Department. The MOE provides day to day technical support and assurance for the plant high fidelity model and the multipurpose dynamic simulator (MPDS) / Operator Training Simulator (OTS) system. He/she is also responsible for review of the suggestions for improvements or changes in the plant model or in the control scheme as applicable for MPDS system.
The Modeling & Optimization Engineer
has a functional working knowledge of Process modeling, control systems, process unit operations and theory, operational goals, alarm variable tables, process constraints, key quality specifications for feeds and products, impact on the environment, and major economic variables and how they impact site profitability and goals.
- Provides stable and reliable plant model which helps production operation to maintain the "Digital Twin" to allow safe operation within the defined operating window, and avoids exceedance of safety, environmental, and operational limits.
- Provides support to OTS training platform to have operators trained prior to putting them in critical jobs on site.
- Responsible for day to day support for the plant high fidelity model and the operator training simulator.
- Implement the plant changes based on process engineering and/or operational changes executed thru' management of changes (MOCs) or thru' small site projects.
- Re-evaluates control schemes and model performances due to changes in plant operating conditions.
- Manage the MPDS vendor's (Aveva) man-power site support and warranty requests.
- Manage and apply vendor technology updates (new version and patches) to the plant MPDS system.
- Make changes to the Polyethylene specific Model as needed (vendor support is limited in this space).
- Manages fluctuating priorities dependent on current needs of active projects and MOCs.
- Maintains proper documentation for the OTS and plant model (change log, user notes, description on initial conditions/black starts, upset scenarios, training modules etc.) is maintained.
- Works with the Main Automation Contractor (MAC), MPDS vendor companies along with the project team and Shell P&T SMEs to align their execution activities and manage the overall MPDS/OTS support.
- Works with Production to ensure operators and Production Team Leads (PTLs), operations support engineers (OSEs) are adequately trained and proficient with the MPDS/OTS system.
- Manages and updates the OTS training plan and deliverables as needed once handed over by the Project team.
- Works closely with control system engineers on the DCS Database integration tool for OTS every time the DCS/ OTS configuration is updated.
- Support and participate in the model acceptance tests or OTS Factory acceptance tests as applicable based on project schedules.
- Maintains confidentiality of the Shell confidential process data as well as the licensor process and application data.
- Understands Production priorities, work plans, procedures and goals, and how they fit with overall site plans, strategies and goals and offers guidance.
- Follows applicable standards, Shell approved technologies, procedures (DEPs, DSM, EFAs, TAMAP, local procedures/policies).
- Support the process engineers and process control engineers that focus on increased margin and energy reduction initiatives aligned with plant goals and targets (Carbon Energy Management Bad Actors, Variable Cost reduction, catalyst optimization).
- Assists in the development and implementation of technology plans (capital plans, infrastructure upgrades, reliability improvement strategies, Control Improvement Plan, etc.) for safe, reliable, and efficient process automation, control, and optimization at the site.
- Supports the site Process Control Improvement Plan, in accordance with Global PACO (Base layer, APC, RTO Infrastructure) and Shell Polymer's PACO strategy.
- Identifies continuous improvement opportunities.
- This position supports different plant production units such as Ethylene cracker, all three trains of polyethylene units, Cogen, utilities, storage & logistics.
- These positions has cross-site influence and progresses / champions a site strategic vision within the Technology department. The person in this role will adhere to the Shell Polymers Core Values i.e. Customer Centricity, ownership, innovation, partnership and communityship with the ultimate vision of the asset team to be the unrivaled polyethylene manufacturer.
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemical companies with about 84,000 employees across more than 70 countries. We aim to meet the world's growing need for more and cleaner energy solutions in ways that are economically, environmentally and socially responsible. We have expertise in exploration, production, refining and marketing of oil and natural gas, and the manufacturing and marketing of chemicals.
As a global energy company operating in a challenging world, we set high standards of performance and ethical behaviors. We are judged by how we act and how we live up to our core values of honesty, integrity and respect for people. Our Business Principles are based on these. They promote trust, openness, teamwork and professionalism, as well as pride in what we do and how we conduct business.
Building on our core values, we aspire to sustain a diverse and inclusive culture where everyone feels respected and valued, from our employees to our customers and partners. A diverse workforce and an inclusive work environment are vital to our success, leading to greater innovation and better energy solutions.
An innovative place to work
There's never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you'll add your talent and imagination to a business with the power to shape the future - whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We're huge advocates for career development. We'll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.Requirements
- Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer.
- At least five (5) years of modeling and optimization experience in mega projects or run & maintain phase in petrochemical or refining business.
- BS/MS in Chemical Engineering with demonstrated knowledge of practical work experience in modeling & optimization.
- Experience in a manufacturing or technical support environment is plus.
- Working level experience with Aveva DynSim or equivalent modeling software is a plus.
- Knowledge with Emerson DeltaV system (latest versions) is a big plus.
- Experience with Advanced Process Control Applications (multivariable control, complex control loops, control logic) or real time optimization (RTO) is a plus.
- Demonstrated analytical and decision making skills.
- Strong troubleshooting and problem solving skills
- Ability to cope with a variety of issues and situations.
- Able to work with diverse groups.
- Displays Leadership Attributes for Individual Performers with demonstration of self-directing and results oriented attitude. This person must have the ability to handle multiple tasks with competing priorities while collaborating with the growing Shell Polymers Asset and developing roadmap and skillsets to support his/her discipline
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date.
Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world.
The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand.
Shell participates in E-Verify.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, citizenship, genetic information or other protected status under federal, state or local laws.
Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability.