Job Description What's the role?
Responsible for 24/7, safe, environmentally sound and reliable operation of asset equipment as a competent member of a high-performance shift team. This includes monitoring, controlling, starting and stopping equipment (such as furnaces, pumps, compressors, etc.), conducting activities that pertain to unit operation, and taking corrective action when necessary to ensure that all unit operations follow safety, environmental, and operating policies and procedures. Olefins/Ethylene Cracking and Polyethylene Gas/Slurry Phase experience desired but not required.
All operators will be expected to qualify on multiple job roles including console operation roles.
ote: During Commissioning and Start-up, Operators will focus on training and other activities including procedure writing and reviews to achieve required operations competence for the start-up of the new facility. Operators will initially work a day shift schedule, but will transition to a 24/7, 12-hour shift rotation schedule to execute commissioning and start-up activities and normal, run-and-maintain operations. Standard Operator Accountabilities are listed below.Accountabilities:
- Support "Goal Zero" safety and environmental culture through:
- Demonstration of excellent personal safety
- Compliance with all safety policies, procedures, and practices
- Intervention in the event a potential issue or unsafe behavior is observed
- Achieve, demonstrate, and maintain required level of competence to safely operate assigned process area of the site
- Execute standardized work processes such as Ensure Safe Production (ESP), Reliability Centered Maintenance (RCM), and Maintenance Excellence (ME)
- Utilize process control computer interfaces to maintain variables within targets
- Demonstrate excellent troubleshooting skills
- Identify and manage abnormal process operation situations in assigned process areas of the site
- Meet defined targets, or identify and communicate constraints
- Identify and communicate 24/7 production threats
- Monitor and accurately record unit operating data (temperatures, pressures, flows, and levels) for upward or downward trends
- Execute the Permit to Work, Lock Out Tag Out, and and Job Safety/Hazards Analysis processes
- Execute daily operating orders
- Prepare equipment for maintenance in accordance with maintenance plans
- Ensure thorough shift turnover by providing effective written and oral communications to the relieving shift and technician that cover routine and non-routine issues, problems faced, unit operating conditions, etc.
- Execute all assigned operator tasks, and document and report findings when needed
- Assure product quality by performing required unit production quality control checks and analysis
- Maintains good communications with other team members, other site teams (Utilities, Logistics, etc.) and support disciplines
- Perform required preventative maintenance and assist in troubleshooting potential issues and give assistance to others when unit problems occur
- Properly utilize Shell issued electronic devices for meeting daily performance expectations and accessing site and unit information and procedures
- Actively assume personal accountability for continuous personal and professional development
- Actively participate in the development and performance of assigned group
- Participate in training and respond to emergency situations as required
- Ensure work stations and the work location is clean and free of hazards
- Exhibit behaviors aligned with the Shell Polymers Monaca culture:
- Take pride in completing activities with excellence and deliver on promises
- Seek out new ideas and perspectives to bring ideas and solutions
- Trust and seek to understand one another and our partners
- Perform the role, knowing positions are interdependent and sharing success as one team
- Be committed to solicit and embrace useful feedback to help learning and growth
- Build strong relationships and mutual trust with our customers
- Proactively listen to and collaborate with our customers
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemicals companies with over 90,000 employees in more than 70 countries and territories. In the US, we have operated for over a century and are a major oil and gas producer onshore and in the Gulf of Mexico, a recognized innovator in exploration and production technology, and a leading manufacturer and marketer of fuels, natural gas and petrochemicals. We deliver energy responsibly; operate safely with respect to our neighbours and work to minimize our environmental impact. We are in search of remarkable people who will thrive in a diverse and inclusive work environment to deliver exciting projects locally and globally. People who are passionate about exploring new frontiers. Innovators and pioneers. People with the drive to help shape our future. Because remarkable people achieve remarkable things.Requirements What we need from you:
- Must be authorized to work in the United States on a permanent basis without the requirement of a work visa
- At least one of the following preferred:
- 3+ years Operator experience in Utilities/Refining/Petrochemicals/Manufacturing
- Formal education and/or training related to production operations or a related skill area such as an Associate's degree from a National American Process Technology Alliance program curriculum
- Prior military experience in a relevant job function such as Aircraft maintenance, Aviation Boatswain Mate, Diesel Mechanic, Fuels/Maintenance Specialist, Petroleum fuels/supply Specialist, Nuclear Mechanic, Plant Operations, Gas turbine Technician, Machinist, Power Plant Mechanic/Operator, Hydraulic Technician or Valve Repair Technician
- Must have the minimum of a high school diploma or GED equivalent
- Willing to take and achieve satisfactory results on Shell's pre-employment testing battery
- Willing to support the company's drug-free work environment which includes random drug screenings. Note: As a part of the pre-employment selection process, candidates are required to submit to and receive satisfactory results from a preemployment medical screening, background check, and drug tests including hair and oral fluids
- With proper training, willing and able to lift 40 lbs with or without accommodation, and able to use safe lifting techniques with the use of heavy equipment
- Must be able to speak, read and write English proficiently
- Willing to support and comply with the company's harassment-free work environment policy
- Willing to support and comply with the company's diversity and inclusion work practices
- Willing to work while wearing a respirator or Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA)
- Willing to work outside in inclement weather with or without accommodation
- Willing to work in compact and confined spaces with or without accommodation
- Willing to climb ladders, walk up and down steps, and work at heights with or without accommodation
- Willing to respond to emergencies as part of the Emergency Response Team with or without accommodation
- To attend to emergencies, successful candidates must reside within 60 minutes of the site, or be willing to relocate to within 60 minutes of the site without relocation assistance
- Willing to work a rotating shift work schedule
- Willing to work overtime, holidays, nights, and weekends
- Willing to be on call and meet call-out standards to respond to site responsibilities and emergencies
- Must possess a current, valid license to operate a motor vehicle in the United States
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date.
Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world.
The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand.
Shell participates in E-Verify.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, citizenship, genetic information or other protected status under federal, state or local laws.
Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability.