Skills: Environmental Engineer, Environmental, Safety & Training, Regulatory Compliance
Experience: 2 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Employment Type: Full Time Salaried Employee
Location: Martinez, California, United States
No location/work authorization restrictions found.
The Refinery Multi-Media Environmental Engineer provides environmental regulatory support to Martinez Refinery to ensure excellence in regulatory compliance, process safety, reliability, and cost management. This role includes responsibilities across multiple environmental media include water, waste, and air.
Key Environmental activities include:
- Oversee and Coordinate compliance assurance for Refinery operations for applicable environmental permits and regulations. This requires the ability to interpret complex technical, legal and regulatory language with numerous regulations.
- Negotiate issues from a technical perspective with a broad spectrum of stakeholders (e.g. agencies, non-governmental organizations, contractors, internal resources). This includes negotiation and management of any ongoing compliance issues with applicable agencies using strong verbal and writing skills.
- Engage in new rule development by contributing both a technical and regulatory effort. Includes coordinating with multiple departments (operations, engineering, etc) to implement new regulations.
- Lead/participate in agency inspections and compliance/enforcement issues as appropriate
- Lead/participate in internal and external regulatory audits (e.g. ISO 14001) as appropriate
- Promote the identification and development of environmental opportunities and improvements to the organization
- Monitor and evaluate emerging environmental regulatory requirements for business impact and assist in the implementation
- Participate in the refinery 24/7 on call environmental duty rotation and respond to refinery during environmental incidents
Key Process Engineering Activities include:
- Utilize a causal approach for problem solving and determining root and contributing causes to unit upsets and compliance issues.
- Lead and participate in Management of Change (MOC) activities to ensure robust design for changes to be implemented.
- Participate in Process Hazard Analyses to identify and assess process safety threats and develop recommendations to mitigate these threats.
- Identify opportunities for margin and energy improvements and drive changes to capture these opportunities.
- Ensure optimization of catalyst and chemicals usage.
- Provide process engineering support to TA planning and execution to ensure reliability and TA objectives are met.
- Provide support to capital projects to ensure proper implementation and performance when integrated into existing operating units and systems.
- Application of both regulatory support, technical competencies and leadership skills to drive Refinery compliance assurance, unit improvements and problem resolution.
- Management of multiple activities with varying timelines and stakeholder engagement.
- Development of a broad range of technical skills and capabilities to allow for back up support for other operating units.
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemical companies with about 84,000 employees across more than 70 countries. We aim to meet the world's growing need for more and cleaner energy solutions in ways that are economically, environmentally and socially responsible. We have expertise in exploration, production, refining and marketing of oil and natural gas, and the manufacturing and marketing of chemicals.
As a global energy company operating in a challenging world, we set high standards of performance and ethical behaviors. We are judged by how we act and how we live up to our core values of honesty, integrity and respect for people. Our Business Principles are based on these. They promote trust, openness, teamwork and professionalism, as well as pride in what we do and how we conduct business.
Building on our core values, we aspire to sustain a diverse and inclusive culture where everyone feels respected and valued, from our employees to our customers and partners. A diverse workforce and an inclusive work environment are vital to our success, leading to greater innovation and better energy solutions.
An innovative place to work
There's never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you'll add your talent and imagination to a business with the power to shape the future - whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We're huge advocates for career development. We'll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.
- Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Petroleum or Chemical Engineering
The following demonstrated experience for the candidate will be considered:
- Minimum two (2) years work experience in refining, petrochemical or other relevant industries in process engineering roles.
- Refining, petrochemical, or other relevant environmental regulatory experience is a plus.
- Technical and Interpersonal Skills:
- Knowledge of refinery, petrochemical, or other major industrial processes
- Knowledge of the MOC work process,
- Knowledge of process safety and safeguarding,
- Ability to work effectively with a broad range of roles and individuals in an industrial setting,
- Stakeholder management, including to senior site leaders,
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.?
- Active TWIC and ability to get TWIC card required
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date.
Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world.
The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand.
Shell participates in E-Verify.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, citizenship, genetic information or other protected status under federal, state or local laws.
Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability.
Learn More about Shell: Watch their Life at Shell Video