The Subsurface Interpretation Technology Department is accountable for developing and implementing modelling and experimental differentiating capabilities to support and execute a robust geoscientist and technological program of Geosciences Technologies. This work is conducted seamlessly with the Upstream and through close cooperation with several groups in the P&T Upstream and Development organizations and top academic institutes. The mission and primary purpose of the Geoscience Subsurface Interpretation Technology theme is to provide differentiating capabilities, including the ones to improve efficiency, to support exploration, development and production of hydrocarbon resources, while in a safe environment.
- Support R&D projects in deep learning and artificial intelligence for geoscience, with focus on both exploration and production topics related to geology and geophysics.
- Build and develop, test and deploy new Deep Learning and Artificial Intelligence (AI) algorithms and collaborate with data scientists and geologists to enable a step-change in subsurface interpretation capability
- Disseminate skills and knowledge of Artificial Intelligence (AI) to the broader specialist and non-specialist geoscientist communities
- Strength innovation of geology and geophysics, while driving integration between geology, petrophysics, seismic interpretation and modelling of both siliciclastic and carbonates rocks, in both knowledge-based and machine learning spaces. Agile mode to achieve these goals is encouraged.
- Demonstrate and deploy innovative geoscience technologies at different scales of investigation -from thin section to seismic scales
- Optimize AI network performance for training and inference on high-performance compute cluster, influence Shell technology teams regionally to maximize the value of such technologies.
- Provide contributions and mentor other team members, and influence and collaborate with the greater geoscientist community and E&P project teams
- Coordinate and work closely with stakeholders in UIX, UAX and P&T and external stakeholders (third party companies and academia) to ensure timely and effective development and deployment of new technologies and research results.
- Ensure project execution and delivery of high-quality results within given budget and time constraints.
The team currently consists of some 10-11 staff, out of which only few are strong in computational skills (MatLab).
In the role you will be responsible for the analysis and integration of copious amounts of information from a wide range of geological data types - from cores to well logs as well as seismic data, including solving problems with AI. Also you will be able to progress and evolve existing workflows and suite of tools, which are required to produce realistic subsurface interpretations in shorter periods of time.
The successful applicant will contribute significantly to making multi-million-dollar decisions related to the research program, consulting efforts, EMRs and external collaborations. Company Description
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemical companies with about 84,000 employees across more than 70 countries. We aim to meet the world's growing need for more and cleaner energy solutions in ways that are economically, environmentally and socially responsible. We have expertise in exploration, production, refining and marketing of oil and natural gas, and the manufacturing and marketing of chemicals. As a global energy company operating in a challenging world, we set high standards of performance and ethical behaviors. We are judged by how we act and how we live up to our core values of honesty, integrity and respect for people. Our Business Principles are based on these. They promote trust, openness, teamwork and professionalism, as well as pride in what we do and how we conduct business. Building on our core values, we aspire to sustain a diverse and inclusive culture where everyone feels respected and valued, from our employees to our customers and partners. A diverse workforce and an inclusive work environment are vital to our success, leading to greater innovation and better energy solutions.An innovative place to work
There's never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you'll add your talent and imagination to a business with the power to shape the future - whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently.A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We're huge advocates for career development. We'll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.Requirements
- Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer
- Ph.D in Geophysics with strong data science background as well as experience using geological data and Masters in Data Science and Analytics
- Minimum of 3 years of work experience in industrial field
- Machine learning applications with Geoscience data, including rock data (core and thin sections images), seismic data. Understanding of a wide range of geophysical and geoscientific data is a plus. Familiarity with carbon sequestration projects is a plus.
- Experience developing geoscience-guided deep learning models for geology tasks
- Skill set must include expertise in:
- Deep Learning
- Convolutional neural networks
- Unsupervised learning
- Image Processing
- Programming skills in Python and Matlab; others are a plus
- Some experience working with large datasets
- Experience with remote sensing and geospatial data is a plus
- Competence in seismic imaging and processing (from noise attenuation to post-migration)
- Academic/Teaching and Industry experience
- Strong internal and external publication record
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date.
Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world.
The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand.
Shell participates in E-Verify.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, citizenship, genetic information or other protected status under federal, state or local laws.
Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability.