Experience: 5 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Employment Type: Full Time Salaried Employee
Location: Richmond, California, United States
In order to apply for this position, applicants MUST meet the following criteria. If your resume does not match these criteria, you will not be able to apply for this position.
Chevron is accepting online applications for the position of QCD Lead Chemist located in Richmond , CA California / United States through October 31, 2019 at 11:59 p.m. (Eastern Standard Time).
Chevron's Richmond Refinery Quality Control Division (QCD) is accepting online applications for the position of Lead Chemist located in Richmond, CA.
QCD is responsible for supporting the refinery process plants by testing process samples and various other samples. Its priority is to analyze all finished product samples to ensure excellent quality. QCD is also responsible for ensuring that samples meet all ASTM, CARB, ERP and Chevron Product Quality requirements. QCD is a 24/7 operation, typically, the Chemists work days on a 40-hour week.
Responsibilities for this position may include but are not limited to:
• Manage Quality Control/Quality Assurance efforts in the lab, including processes, training, audits and Statistical Process Control (SPC).
• Analyze opportunities for application of Raman Spectroscopy technology, Chemometrics, works to generate required data to produce statistically controlled Raman Models and supports these models.
• Evaluate new equipment or technology and it's applicability in the lab. Recommends purchase of any new equipment, works with appropriate department to appropriate funds for purchase, install the new equipment, develop SOPs and help train Lab and operating personnel as required.
• Develop and maintain technical expertise in more complex lab equipment and test methods: e.g. GCs, AA, X-Ray, Octane/Cetane engines.
• Troubleshoot, repair, calibrate and implement preventive maintenance requirements on complex equipment.
• Ensure that laboratory analytical instruments and methods meet ASTM, EPA and CARB standards.
• Keep up with ASTM, EPA, and California Air Resources Board (CARB) methods and regulations. Understand impact, communicates to Lab personnel and lab customers.
• Incorporate required method changes to lab processes and Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) documentation and assist in training Lab personnel as needed.
• Lead the Lab's participation in ASTM/PCRG round robin testing. Keep track of Lab Control Samples (LCS) created via the round robin process.
• Participate in and/or lead audits of: Richmond labs, other refinery labs, contract labs, ISO9001, Product Quality Testing Audits (PQTA)
• Participate in the Lab Business Improvement Team (LAB BIN) as a backup to the Lab Manager.
• Develop new methods as needed to meet the needs of the engineers, operating units and other customers.
• Work with operations and planning department personnel to coordinate short term and long term analytical needs, new test development and support of refinery plant laboratories.
• Learn and maintain familiarity with the Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS)
• Provide back up to the Lab Supervisors as needed including some aspects of scheduling and payroll.
• Effectively coaches, trains, and leads Operators to achieve high performance standards.
• Champion incident-free operation and ensures that safe work practices are followed.
• Steward and practice the Loss Prevention System (LPS), conducts audits, investigates all incident reports and takes action to prevent recurrence.
• Identify work needs (long and short term), set priorities / boundaries and provide direction and resources to Chemists and Quality Control Crew.
• Bachelor's Chemistry Degree, Natural Sciences or Chemical Engineering
• 5 years of experience in Lab equipment troubleshooting and repair and Lab Analytical Testing with refining products and process streams.
• The successful candidate will have the opportunity to bring and gain experience in a highly technical energy company while working with a group of approximately 30 skilled employees.
• Must have strong chemistry knowledge and technical expertise in the areas or Method Development, QA/QC, ASTM, EPA and CARB Regulations and will work closely with Richmond Process Engineers and Operations personnel. This person will also participate in Global Refining initiatives related to the refinery laboratories as well as work closely with Chevron Energy Technology Company (ETC).
• Understands Statistical Process Control (SPC) and champions its use in the Laboratory.
• Understands Chemo metrics, i.e. Raman Spectroscopy, modeling and application.
• Ability to quickly grasp new concepts and understand the impact of technology.
• Experience with ASTM Testing Methods. Experience in Chemical and Physical analysis, Gas Chromatography, X-ray, Atomic absorption, Octane and others.
• Has knowledge and support of safe work practices, EPA and CARB gasoline and diesel compliance, and methods of statistical quality control in laboratories.
• Ability to troubleshoot, repairs, installs and calibrates lab instrumentation and equipment.
• Has broad knowledge of Lab test methods and procedures.
• Able to relate Lab results to Process Units with basic understanding of variables.
• Ability to build working relationships that contribute to business results
• Demonstrated ability to grow the skills and capabilities of a team that will enable both individual and business success
Relocation may be considered.
Expatriate assignments will not be considered.
Chevron regrets that it is unable to sponsor employment Visas or consider individuals on time-limited Visa status for this position.
Regulatory Disclosure for US Positions:
Chevron is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status, or other status protected by law or regulation.
Chevron participates in E-Verify in certain locations as required by law.
Nearest Major Market: San Francisco
Nearest Secondary Market: Oakland
Chevron is one of the world’s leading integrated energy companies. Our success is driven by our people and their commitment to get results the right way – by operating responsibly, executing with excellence, applying innovative technologies and capturing new opportunities for profitable growth. Some of our specialties include generating power and produce geothermal energy; investing in profitable renewable energy and energy efficiency solutions; and developing the energy resources of the future, including researching advanced biofuels.
Our diverse and highly skilled workforce consists of approximately 64,700 employees, including more than 3,200 service station employees. At Chevron, we’re focused on safely delivering the energy needed to power human and economic progress worldwide. But how do we do that when harnessing fossil fuels can be inherently risky? To meet these challenges, Chevron has spent more than 20 years expanding systems that support a culture of safety and environmental stewardship that strives to achieve unequaled performance and prevent all serious incidents and fatalities. We call this Operational Excellence, and it drives everything we do.
Diversity & Inclusion
We’re committed to reflecting in our workforce the rich diversity of cultures and racial and ethnic backgrounds in the communities where we live and work. We’re also devoted to encouraging a diversity of ideas.
Diversity is one of the cornerstones of our values, which we call The Chevron Way. The Chevron Way states:
“We learn from and respect the cultures in which we work. We value and demonstrate respect for the uniqueness of individuals and the varied perspectives and talents they provide. We have an inclusive work environment and actively embrace a diversity of people, ideas, talents and experiences.”
As a core value, diversity is critical to developing a talented, high-performing workforce needed for ongoing business success. The Chevron Way’s focus on people has helped establish a culture that attracts, develops and retains more diverse talent.
We Support Career & Personal Development
We value the importance of managing work/life priorities by offering flexible work schedules, on-site child care at some facilities, adoption assistance, dual-career couple support, scholarships and tuition reimbursement.
At Chevron, you’ll find a workplace committed to your professional development. You’ll receive support and tools to create your own career path, including education assistance support which pays up to 75% of the cost (including tuition, textbooks, lab fees, and registration and administration fees) for approved courses. To strengthen organizational capability, we develop our employees’ and contractors’ skills and experience through our Invest in People strategy. As part of this strategy, discussions focused on continually improving individual performance are held between managers and employees.