At Baker Hughes, we are transforming the future of energy. With operations in over 120 countries, we are developing and deploying industry-leading technologies and services to take energy forward.
For more than a century, our inventions have revolutionized energy. Today, we are bringing our expertise to make oil and gas safer, cleaner, and more efficient.
Our people are the trusted experts, relied on to solve customer challenges big and small. We invest in the health and well-being of our workforce, train and reward talent, and develop leaders at all levels to bring out the best in each other.
We believe in creating an environment of diversity and inclusion, without bias. We know we are better when all of our people are developed, engaged, and able to bring their whole authentic selves to work.
We're makers, inventors, and leaders who aren't afraid of the tough challenges. We believe pushing boundaries will help to lead the way for a new energy future. Role Summary:
The Lead Designer has responsibility for defining Model Based Designs (MBD) across products of Well Systems i.e System, Well barrier, Structures & Piping, Completions or Tooling products. The role will work collaboratively with the Product Engineers to produce high quality Digital 3D & 2D assets and drawings for downstream and upstream customer consumption.Essential Responsibilities:
- Interpret specifications for definition of layouts, detail and assembly models and drawings.
- Prepare & maintain 3D assembly & parts library meeting design specifications.
- Prepare detail fabrication and assembly drawings/ models using Creo to ASME Y14.5 standards and format.
- Undertake design reviews in the definition of models & drawings.
- Interpret supply chain & manufacturing requirements in the create of models & drawings.
- Undertake design verification, which may include but not limited to: Tolerance studies, Interface checks, Stack-up layouts, Sequence layouts, Max min & nom material conditions, Weight & centre of gravity analysis, required to meeting fit form & function of standard parts.
- Interpret content of procedures e.g testing, and documentation e.g datasheets, where models and drawings are being utilized.
- Identify improvements in existing models & drawings which target cost-out & additive / lean manufacturing practices.
- Collaborate with Product Engineers for improvements in existing models & drawings.
- Ensure models & drawings conform with latest regulatory, environmental & safety standards with implementation of necessary revisions and/or obsolesce of parts.
- Communicate model & drawing information for interpretation & adherence by others.
- Plan and deliver design activities required in product life cycle management.
- Understand engineering metrics e.g First Time Yield (FTY), Cost of quality (COQ), for continuous improvement in modelling and drawing practices.
- BEng or HND in Mechanical Engineering or other technical experience
- Proven experience in the design of mechanical components and systems
- Practical experience of 3D Model Based Design - ideally utilizing Creo, Solidworks or NX.
- Practical experience of 2D drafting tools, such as Autocad
- Ability to synthesize information, identify problems, and deduce design solutions.
- Good awareness of supply chain process e.g forming, machining, fabrication, coatings.
Applications from job seekers who require sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. However, non-EU/EEA candidates may not be appointed to a post if a suitably qualified, experienced and skilled EU/EEA candidate is available to take up the post, as the employing body is unlikely, in these circumstances, to satisfy the Resident Labour Market Test. For further information please visit the UK Border Agency website
- Practical experience of applying drafting standards to ASME Y14.5.
- Familiarity with Health, safety and environmental regulatory requirements for this industry
- Experience if using a PLM Systems, preferably Teamcenter
- Strong Interpersonal and communication skills.
- Report writing and presentation skills.