Skills: CAD / CAM, Design Engineer
Experience: 3 + Years
Education: Associates/2 yr Degree/Diploma
Location: Hanover, Maryland, United States
No location/work authorization restrictions found.
Oceaneering is a global provider of engineered services and products, primarily to the offshore energy industry. We develop products and services for use throughout the lifecycle of an offshore oilfield, from drilling to decommissioning. We operate the world's premier fleet of work class ROVs. Additionally, we are a leader in offshore oilfield maintenance services, umbilicals, subsea hardware, and tooling. We also use applied technology expertise to serve the defense, entertainment, material handling, aerospace, science, and renewable energy industries.
Oceaneering Technologies (OTECH) performs a wide range of engineering services and products for unique marine systems for military and commercial customers. OTECH innovates wherever practical rather than inventing making it "faster to field" than others in its industry; the typical development/delivery cycle for complex mechanical, hydraulic, electrical systems is often completed in 12-15 months. Technical capabilities span the entire engineering spectrum. These skills have been demonstrated in successfully delivered systems, including Remotely Operated Vehicles (ROVs); Autonomous Underwater Vehicles (AUVs); saturation diving systems; surface and sub-surface vehicle launch and recovery systems; advanced offshore cranes; and life support systems.
For more information please go to www.oceaneering.com and click on Products & Services, then click Oceaneering Technologies (OTECH).
The Senior Designer applies creative designing skills and computer aided design drafting (CADD) practices to generate layout, assembly, and detail drawings for mechanical, hydraulic, electrical, and electronic equipment for simple to moderately complex ADTECH projects. The Senior Designer may also prepare sketches and other graphic information from technical documents, proposals, and sales-related documents. May act as a technical lead for the work of other less experienced designers and drafters on specific projects.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Works closely with engineers to make drawing corrections and works independently to makes changes in accordance with drawing redlines. Works directly with engineers and manufacturing personnel to make on-the-fly drawing updates.
- Checks technical accuracy and completeness of drawings.
- Independently prepares CADD solid models at the part and assembly level using Dassault Systemes SolidWorks ® ; completes layout and detail drawings, including applying Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing, from simple to moderately complex equipment or mechanisms.
- Creates independent, original designs from simple to moderately complex parts and assemblies; interacts with engineering and manufacturing personnel to ensure manufacturability, maintainability, and proper assembly.
- Prepares engineering drawings, layout, and detailed design of mechanical systems using drafting techniques (SolidWorks or AutoCad).
- Prepares models for export to engineering analysis/simulation software including merging and meshing of parts and application of load vectors under the direction of senior or higher-level engineering staff.
- As required, works independently to select commercial off-the-shelf components (electrical and mechanical) that meet stated performance requirements.
- As required, prepares illustrations for technical documentation, proposals, and sales-related documents.
- May act as a lead for designers and drafters on specific projects to ensure consistency in design and drawings.
- Interfaces with clients as requested by Program Manager.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- Associate's degree in design, drafting, or related engineering field, or equivalent work experience.
- 3-5 years of experience in CAD design work.
- Formal training in use of Dassault Systemes SolidWorks solid modeling software.
- Proficiency using software such as AutoCAD and SolidWorks.
- SolidWorks Advanced Parts and Advanced Assemblies certificate.
- Familiarity with Military Standards and ANSI 14.5 drafting standards including geometric dimensioning and tolerancing.
- Familiarity with phases of production, machining, and manufacturing. Working knowledge of manufacturing and fabrication, such as machining centers (CNC), sheet metal, and welding fabrication.
- Experience in structural design. Working knowledge of SolidWorks Weldment Package.
- Ability to meet stated deadlines and to support design reviews.
- Ability to work independently to develop original designs, modifications to existing designs, and technical drawings of parts and assemblies.
- Demonstrates comprehensive understanding of CAD equipment.
- Good verbal and interpersonal skills necessary to effectively communicate with vendors and customers.
- Ability to interact with managers and engineers to solve difficult technical problems and challenges.
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing.
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft ® Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Must be able to obtain security clearance and pass a drug test.
Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified candidates will receive consideration for all positions without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or other non-merit factors.
Oceaneering pushes the frontiers of deep water, space and motion entertainment environments to execute with new, leading-edge connections to solve tomorrow’s challenges, today.
As the trusted subsea connection specialist, our experience combined with the depth and breadth of our portfolio of technologies allows us to engineer solutions for the most complex subsea challenges. From routine to extreme, our integrated products, services, and innovative solutions safely de-risk operational systems, increase reliability, and enable a lower total cost of ownership.
We are connecting what’s needed with what’s next as the world’s largest ROV operator and the leading ROV provider to the oil and gas industry with over 300 systems operating worldwide. With our safety-focused and innovative approach, we responsively and decisively react to subsea challenges while providing solutions swiftly and efficiently.