Skills: IT - Software Development, Student / Recent Grad
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Hanover, Maryland, United States
No location/work authorization restrictions found.
Oceaneering knows robotics. From operating the world's largest ROV fleet conducting mission-critical operations deep under the oceans, to deploying cutting-edge autonomous vehicles in theme park rides and automotive operations, we know a thing or two about applying robotics technologies and solid cross-disciplinary engineering to help our clients bring automation to some of the harshest, dangerous, and most demanding environments.
Oceaneering Advanced Technologies' Mobile Robotics Innovation Lab (MRIL) is the latest initiative to continue growing Oceaneering's pioneering robotics heritage and portfolio in an ever-exciting time for autonomous systems and AI. Our group investigates and develops new markets, products, technologies and business models in order to drive long-term growth for our lines of business. We work hard to continue being a leader in mobile robotics solutions for customers' mission-critical needs, working with like-minded partners and taking risks in delivering new and innovative solutions that push the industry and push ourselves.
As a Software Engineering Intern at MRIL, you'll join a fast-paced, mission-oriented team at the heart of Oceaneering's mobile robotics efforts. Play a critical role in the success of prototyping and testing new product and service offerings for our commercial business units in material handling automation, and in people mover applications, among others. Here's your chance to be a part of something big, with the mission focus and pace of a startup, and the stability and resources of a large company backing you up.
Engineering Internship positions at Oceaneering will provide opportunities to gain experience in the "real world" work environment. The student will typically be assigned a mentor who will direct their experience. Work or project assignments (some with strict deadlines to meet) will be commensurate with the student's academic background to take advantage of their expertise and provide real life application of their classroom knowledge. At the same time, opportunities will be provided for students to expand their knowledge outside the boundaries of their classroom.
Oceaneering is a global provider of engineered services and products, primarily to the offshore energy industry. We develop products and services for use throughout the lifecycle of an offshore oilfield, from drilling to decommissioning. We operate the world's premier fleet of work class ROVs. Additionally, we are a leader in offshore oilfield maintenance services, umbilicals, subsea hardware, and tooling. We also use applied technology expertise to serve the defense, entertainment, material handling, aerospace, science, and renewable energy industries.
For more information please go to https://www.oceaneering.com/mobile-robotics-innovation-lab/
Duties & Responsibilities
- Work in an Agile-driven multidisciplinary team to apply your knowledge of modern software development, mobile robotics, AI/ML, and/or cloud platforms to rapidly and iteratively prototype cutting-edge software and mechatronic products and services toward finding product-market fit.
- Interact with technical and non-technical customers and partners to generate feedback for product improvements from targeted experiments, pilots and proof-of-concepts.
- Collaborate with colleagues to develop, simulate, test and validate actionable technical requirements that may bridge disciplines, and coordinate with technical personnel from across the company and around the world.
- Stay abreast of industry, technology and competitor trends and creatively apply out-of-the-box thinking in innovation projects.
- Currently enrolled in a Bachelor's degree program or higher with an anticipated graduation date on or after May 2020
- Degree should be from an ABET-accredited course of study in Computer Science, Engineering, Robotics or similar
- Self-starter and intrapreneurial mindset with a passion for robotics and automation solutions that solve real customer problems
- Interest in Entrepreneurship and business. Prior startup or business coursework/experience a plus.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Proficient with modern C++, object-oriented programming, design patterns, sound software development practices, and continuous integration / continuous development
- Experience with one or more cloud platforms: AWS, Azure
- Experience with GUI development frameworks and UI prototyping
- Proficient with developing and deploying software on Linux
- Familiar with Python, Bash or similar for prototyping, utilities and scripting
- Able and eager to quickly learn new skills and technologies in a fast-paced environment
- Formal coursework in perception, computer vision, machine learning, path planning, kinematics and dynamics, multi-robot coordination, modeling and simulation, or similar
- Familiar with Industry 4.0, AGV, AMR technologies and trends
- Experience with app development (iOS, Android)
- Position will be based in Hanover, MD
- Travel requirements for customer site visits and product testing up to 25%.
- Off-site testing could include extended periods in outdoor environments with some exposure to the elements.
Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified candidates will receive consideration for all positions without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or other non-merit factors.
Oceaneering pushes the frontiers of deep water, space and motion entertainment environments to execute with new, leading-edge connections to solve tomorrow’s challenges, today.
As the trusted subsea connection specialist, our experience combined with the depth and breadth of our portfolio of technologies allows us to engineer solutions for the most complex subsea challenges. From routine to extreme, our integrated products, services, and innovative solutions safely de-risk operational systems, increase reliability, and enable a lower total cost of ownership.
We are connecting what’s needed with what’s next as the world’s largest ROV operator and the leading ROV provider to the oil and gas industry with over 300 systems operating worldwide. With our safety-focused and innovative approach, we responsively and decisively react to subsea challenges while providing solutions swiftly and efficiently.