Skills: Instrument & Controls Engineer
Experience: 8 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Rosyth, Scotland, United Kingdom
No location/work authorization restrictions found.
Oceaneering is a global provider of engineered services and products, primarily to the offshore energy industry. We develop products and services for use throughout the lifecycle of an offshore oilfield, from drilling to decommissioning. We operate the world's premier fleet of work class ROVs. Additionally, we are a leader in offshore oilfield maintenance services, umbilicals, subsea hardware, and tooling. We also use applied technology expertise to serve the defense, entertainment, material handling, aerospace, science, and renewable energy industries.
The position holder will be responsible for the development & provision of effective & capable manufacturing processes, ensuring operational risk is established & reduced in support of operations.
They will support continuous improvement and the delivery of strategical projects for the site in alignment with Oceaneering's Enterprise Strategic Objectives (ESO's) and site performance metrics.
They will support the Process Engineering Team in developing & driving towards a recipe driven / automated process operating environment on all manufacturing processes through innovation and technology advancement.
Duties & Responsibilities
- * Individual contributor that works under limited supervision.
- * Is able to manage & navigate ambiguous projects with minimal support from others.
- * Experienced professional with adequate understanding of one's own job area.
- * Provides solutions to a variety of technical problems of moderate scope and complexity.
- Develop & implement effective & capable manufacturing processes to meet all critical to quality (CTQ) and critical to process (CTP) requirements within operations.
- Develop & implement effective systems of work for QHSE, capability, efficiency and repeatability within operations.
- Support Continuous Improvement throughout the business through the application of Total Quality Management and Lean methodologies.
- Identify & reduce operational risk in support of operations.
- Design, develop, implement and test new / existing control systems on the manufacturing processes.
- Design, develop & implement engineering control / automated solutions to improve the level of QHSE control within operations.
- Design, develop & implement improvements to enhance process performance, control, quality & capability through analysis and statistical process control (SPC), where applicable.
- Design, develop & implement new manufacturing processes, equipment & upgrades to improve process performance, capability, capacity, throughput, cost modelling, waste reduction, QHSE, technology & innovation.
- Technically support identified improvement projects through full project lifecycle. To include justification through CBA, technical specification, vendor selection & clarification through manufacture, installation, commissioning, operator training, governing documentation and final sign-off.
- Develop & maintain the Manufacturing Process Controls & Data Network driving towards a recipe driven / automated process operating environment (server system, data logging, historian).
- Develop & maintain all detailed documentation & governance to support the Manufacturing Process Controls & Data Network (operating procedure, revision control, system redundancy).
- Develop & implement improvements to drive towards a recipe driven / automated process operating environment on the manufacturing processes (Production Packages, Process Recipes, Closed Loop Control, CTQ's & CTP's).
- Lead structured problem solving, fault diagnosis, trouble shooting, root cause analysis & quality improvement on equipment, controls & manufacturing process failures. Identify & implement corrective actions and improvements to prevent reoccurrence.
- Create & present reports / data / metrics / material to all levels of the organization.
- Provide controls / automation technical support to the Process Engineering Team, manufacturing processes & personnel on a day-to-day basis.
- Support & collaborate with all internal disciplines & departments as required to support business needs and improve performance.
- Support the organization's drive towards excellence in QHSE performance.
- Consistently display required levels of engagement and a positive 'can-do' attitude while consistently supporting Oceaneering's culture of Safety, Quality, ongoing learning and continual improvement.
- Any other roles or tasks as required to support our business needs.
Ensure that the Safety policies and procedures are understood and adhered to so far as is reasonably practicable in order to ensure a safe working environment.
Carry out work in accordance with the Company Health, Safety, Environmental and Quality Systems.
Perform the assigned tasks with due diligence regarding the Integrated Management Systems of the Company.
Eliminate waste of whatever form to suggest the use of more environmentally friendly substances & practices and contribute to the continuous improvement of the environment.
This position has no direct supervisory responsibilities.
- This position reports directly to the Process Engineering Manager.
- Critical relationship with others / engineers within the Process Engineering Team.
- HND (or equivalent) in a relevant engineering or technical field (preferably in Electronic, Controls / Automation, Electrical Engineering or equivalent).
- Minimum of 8 years relevant experience in a Controls / Automation Engineering role or related discipline with demonstrable evidence of systems and process improvement.
- In-depth understanding, skills & experience in the use of Industrial Communication Protocols (PROFIBUS, PROFINET, Ethernet/IP, Modbus RTU, Modbus TCP, IP, OPC, OPC-UA).
- In-depth understanding, skills & experience in the use of specific control disciplines (PLC, SCADA, HMI, APC).
- In-depth understanding, skills & experience in the programing, configuring and diagnosis of PLC / HMI systems.
- Basic understanding, skills & experience with drives, programs & software (Rockwell, Siemens, Parker).
- Basic understanding, skills & experience of networking (IP Address allocation, cisco switches).
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and other related systems as required for the role.
- Bachelors' Degree in a relevant engineering or technical field (preferably in Electronic, Controls / Automation, Electrical Engineering or equivalent).
- Relevant experience in a Continuous Improvement / Process / Manufacturing / Industrial Engineering role or related discipline with demonstrable evidence of systems and process improvement.
- Lean Six Sigma Certification.
- Project Management Certification.
Knowledge, Skills, Competencies, Abilities, and Other Characteristics
- Analytical - Synthesizes complex or diverse information; Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and experience to complement data; Designs work flows and procedures.
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Technical Skills - Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; Pursues training and development opportunities; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others.
- Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills; Participates in meetings.
- Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
- Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
- Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; Develops and implements cost saving measures; Contributes to profits and revenue; Conserves organizational resources.
- Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
- Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Project Management - Develops project plans; communicates changes & progress; completes projects on time and budget; manages project team activities.
- Judgment - Displays willingness to make decisions; Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; Supports and explains reasoning for decisions; Includes appropriate people in decision-making process; Makes timely decisions.
- Basic understanding of the key principles, concepts, tools and techniques of total quality management and continuous improvement. Awareness of how these can be used to design and deliver a continuous improvement programme.
- Basic understanding of quality improvement tools (5S, DMAIC, FMEA, lean methodologies, Kaizen).
- Basic understanding of problem solving tools and techniques (5-Whys, 8D, Cause & Effect) and how to apply them to identify & eliminate problems.
This position is considered OFFICE WORK with frequent exposure to & interaction with SHOP which is characterized as follows.
- Almost exclusively indoors during the day and occasionally at night
- Occasional exposure to airborne dust in the work place
- Work surface is stable (flat)
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position is considered LIGHT work.
We offer a competitive salary, a comprehensive benefits package and the opportunity to advance in an international company. To apply, click 'Apply Now'.
Oceaneering pushes the frontiers of deep water, space and motion entertainment environments to execute with new, leading-edge connections to solve tomorrow’s challenges, today.
As the trusted subsea connection specialist, our experience combined with the depth and breadth of our portfolio of technologies allows us to engineer solutions for the most complex subsea challenges. From routine to extreme, our integrated products, services, and innovative solutions safely de-risk operational systems, increase reliability, and enable a lower total cost of ownership.
We are connecting what’s needed with what’s next as the world’s largest ROV operator and the leading ROV provider to the oil and gas industry with over 300 systems operating worldwide. With our safety-focused and innovative approach, we responsively and decisively react to subsea challenges while providing solutions swiftly and efficiently.