Skills: Laboratory Ops / Tech
Experience: 2 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Employment Type: Full Time Salaried Employee
Location: Saint Rose, Louisiana, United States
In order to apply for this position, applicants MUST meet the following criteria. If your resume does not match these criteria, you will not be able to apply for this position.
Performs routine laboratory tests under close supervision to determine chemical or physical characteristics designated by the client.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Read and understand all analysis and safety standards in English, including ASTM, UOP, IP and other well-defined analytical standards and procedures used in the laboratory.
- Assist senior laboratory personnel in setting up, adjusting and operating laboratory equipment for which the technician has been adequately trained and has been verified to operate correctly in accordance with applicable standards and sound laboratory practice.
- Assist in or perform basic analytical tests from well-defined standards and procedures as assigned by the Laboratory Manager. Laboratory technicians must be verified to be able to perform all tests in accordance with applicable standards and sound laboratory practice.
- Clean and sterilize laboratory equipment.
- Assist in calibrating laboratory instruments for which the technician has been adequately trained and has been verified to operate correctly in accordance with applicable standards and sound laboratory practice.
- Prepare chemical solutions according to standard formulas.
- Exercise procedural, safety and quality requirements specified in Laboratory Manual #5, Safety Manual #7, and the Core Laboratories Safety and Environmental Manual, and company policies.
- Attend training and pass appropriate examinations in petroleum, chemical and gas analysis, including Right-to-Know training, hazardous materials disposal, and other safety and compliance training required by applicable regulations.
- Understand and be able to complete laboratory raw data sheets and make accurate entries into Petroleum Service's laboratory computer programs.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with certain disabilities to perform the essential job functions when safety is not compromised. A 90-day initial review period applies to Laboratory Technicians, during which time the technician and Petroleum Services' will determine the technician's suitability for the job.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- A high school diploma or equivalent required
- Bachelor of Science degree preferred
- Two to four years of related experience and/or training preferred.
Ability to read, analyze and interpret instructional and technical materials relating to procedures and safety; and applicable government regulations. Ability to write applicable reports and correspondence clearly. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from managers, schedulers and clients.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, percent, and quantities (linear, volumetric, or weight) and to read and interpolate applicable data and tables. Able to draw and interpret applicable graphs and control charts.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule formats.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Familiarity with basic computer skills in word processing and spreadsheet programs is helpful but not required; however Laboratory Technicians must possess the capability to learn these applications through instruction provided by Petroleum Services.
Laboratory technicians must be ready to accept job assignments at any time, including scheduled days off. Overtime must be worked as required. Attendance at monthly safety meetings is required.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Valid driver's license and a good driving record.
The physical demands described here are representative, but not necessarily all-inclusive, of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with certain disabilities to perform the essential functions when safety is not compromised.
Physical Qualifications for Petroleum Laboratory technicians:
- Laboratory Technicians must meet the following physical qualifications.
- Pass the drug and alcohol test specified for safety-sensitive employees.
- Be able to work in the presence of odors typical of petroleum or petrochemicals without allergic reactions or nausea. When such odors are within OSHA-designated permissible exposure limits (PELs).
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; talk or hear; and test or smell. The employee frequently is required to walk, sit, and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- Laboratory personnel must regularly lift or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions when safety is not compromised.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be exposed to fumes, airborne particles, and toxic or caustic chemicals. The department provides product information, training, engineering controls, and personal protective equipment in an effort to protect employees from exposure to potentially harmful levels of those materials. Employees are required to read product information, use available engineering controls, follow guidelines presented during training, and be able to wear and use appropriate protective equipment, including respiratory protective equipment, as may be required by the work environment.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Smoking and consuming food or drinks are not permitted in the laboratories.
Core Laboratories is a leading provider of proprietary and patented Reservoir Description and Production Enhancement.
Located with over 70 offices in more than 50 countries in every major oil-producing province in the world. Core Laboratories remains dedicated to providing the technology our client’s need to enhance their production. We continue to develop and acquire technologies that complement our existing products and services, and we disseminate these technologies throughout our global network.
Our Clients are the world’s largest major, national and independent oil companies. Core Laboratories' reservoir optimization technologies are used to increase total recovery from existing fields. Our services enable our clients to optimize reservoir performance and maximize hydrocarbon recovery from their production fields.
Core Laboratories has taken extensive measures to ensure the services and data provided by all of our worldwide companies are of the highest quality and integrity. Our commitment to applying and developing new technologies to optimize reservoir performance is unsurpassed in the oilfield service industry. This commitment to technology and to our client’s bottom line makes Core Laboratories, The Reservoir Optimization Company™.
Our Culture has been defined by over 70 years of business built on the principles of integrity and ethical conduct in the support of our clients. Our continuing primary goal is “to produce a quality product on time at a competitive price” in a manner consistent with these principles. The integrity of our company and ability to provide quality products and services to our clients are the essence of our business.
These same ethical standards are what we expect from our employees. We could not accomplish the extraordinary results we have in our past and will in our future without talented and dedicated employees – such as we have now.
It is the talented and dedicated employees that have positioned Core Laboratories as the leading provider of reservoir- optimizing technologies. You can feel and see this in our culture. Core Laboratories strives to create an environment for our employees so they can advance in their careers enabling both the company and its employees to build value. Our inclusive culture thrives on team-work and mutual respect for our differences. There are opportunities for everyone to grow.