Martinez, California, United States
Martinez, California, United States
Skills: Electrical Engineering, Instrument & Controls Engineer
Experience: 5 + Years
Education: Associates/2 yr Degree/Diploma
Employment Type: Full Time Salaried Employee
Location: Martinez, California, United States
No location/work authorization restrictions found.
The Analyzer and Measurement Technologist (AMT) has two main job responsibilities: Supporting a set of analyzer technologies throughout the refinery and ensuring the integrity of custody transfer measurements for all hydrocarbons purchased or sold by the site. The AMT is a standing member of the site Measurement Loss Control Team and reports to the Control Systems Infrastructure Supervisor in the Control and Process Engineering department.
Process Analyzer Technologies
- In support of analyzer technologies, the AMT is the site's subject matter expert on maintenance of selected analyzer technologies everywhere they are installed within the site. In this role the AMT provides second line maintenance assistance to the Production departments, supporting the first line analyzer technicians where needed for troubleshooting more complex or repeated problems.
- The AMT provides technical mentoring to analyzer technicians and assists the analyzer technician Team Leader in performing skills assessment, arranging appropriate vendor provided training, providing direct training to technicians, and qualifying them on given technologies.
- The AMT provides primary support for the following online analyzer measurement types and categories:
- Total Organic Carbon (TOC)
- Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC)
- Calorimeters for BTU measurement
- Thermal Conductivity Detectors (TCD)
- Gravity and Density of Hydrogen and other compounds
- H2S measurement via Paper Tape and other methods
- The AMT also provides backup support for other Analyzer Technologists for the following online analyzer measurement types and categories:
- Sulfur Tail Gas and Air Demand
- Fourier Transform Near Infrared
- Water Hardness
- NOx/SOx and other Ultraviolet methods
- Opacity for furnace stack gas measurements
- As new capital projects are developed, the AMT is responsible to follow the design progress on the technologies they support to ensure that features required for equipment maintainability are included in the base scope of the project prior to final project approval.
- Technology support responsibilities will be periodically rebalanced among the Analyzer Technologist staff group, and the AMT may become responsible for any of the following online analyzer measurement types and categories:
- Mass Spectrometer
- Raman Spectroscopy
- Tunable Diode Laser (TDL)
- Gas Chromatograph (GC)
- Fuel Cell, Parametric or other O2 measurements
- Infrared (IR)
- H2Scan Solid State Detector
- Dissolved Oxygen
- Trace Gas detection in Air
- Furnace Fire Eye Flame Scanners
- Process Composite Samplers
- The AMT is frequently required to inspect installations in the field to verify proper operation, audit the effectiveness of routine maintenance practices, identify poor equipment reliability, performance or accuracy, and assist the Production departments with urgent repairs.
- The AMT maintains a log of repeat analyzer problems known as a Bad Actor List.
- The AMT is responsible to set criteria for detecting unusual or unacceptable failure rates, and create plans to address such problems
- The AMT periodically reviews and updates site analyzer maintenance procedures and work instructions.
Custody Transfer Measurement
- The AMT is the site subject matter expert on custody transfer measurement (CTM) applications.
- The AMT must be familiar with the refinery's contractual terms for material receipts and deliveries.
- The AMT must enforce the refinery's rights with 3rd parties to witness testing, observe operations, and obtain and review all relevant process data.
- The AMT reviews all transfer data and performs volume and mass reconciliations that will be provided to the refinery Accounting group.
- The AMT maintains a 2-week lookahead of all CTM verification activities for internal and external custody transfer points.
- The AMT contributes to the development of annual goals for the Control and Process Engineering (CAPE) department.
- The AMT works closely with the site Yield Analyst to determine whether yield anomalies may be attributable to measurement inaccuracies.
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemical companies with about 84,000 employees across more than 70 countries. We aim to meet the world's growing need for more and cleaner energy solutions in ways that are economically, environmentally and socially responsible. We have expertise in exploration, production, refining and marketing of oil and natural gas, and the manufacturing and marketing of chemicals. As a global energy company operating in a challenging world, we set high standards of performance and ethical behaviors. We are judged by how we act and how we live up to our core values of honesty, integrity and respect for people. Our Business Principles are based on these. They promote trust, openness, teamwork and professionalism, as well as pride in what we do and how we conduct business. Building on our core values, we aspire to sustain a diverse and inclusive culture where everyone feels respected and valued, from our employees to our customers and partners. A diverse workforce and an inclusive work environment are vital to our success, leading to greater innovation and better energy solutions.
Note: Shell announced on June 11th that it has reached an agreement for the sale of the Martinez Refinery to PBF Holding Company, LLC, a subsidiary of PBF Energy, Inc. Although this position is being advertised through Shell it is the intent that the candidate will transition with the sale. The sale is expected to close, pending regulatory approval, in the next several months.
- Legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer
- Associate degree in Instrumentation/Control, Electrical/Electronic Engineering/Technology is preferred.
- Minimum five (5) years prior experience in an Oil & Gas, Petrochemical or Chemical facility.
- Experience in analyzer maintenance execution and project support.
- Extensive knowledge of industry standards in Analyzer/QMI area.
- Demonstrated analytical and decision-making skills.
- Strong troubleshooting and problem-solving skills
- Ability to cope with a variety of issues and situations.
- Able to work with diverse groups.
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date.
Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world.
The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand.
Shell participates in E-Verify.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, citizenship, genetic information or other protected status under federal, state or local laws.
Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability.
Learn More about Shell: Watch their Life at Shell Video