The purpose of these roles is to provide engineering support for the site to assure safe, environmentally sound, reliable and profitable operation of process units and utility systems.
The role helps to ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations, industry codes, standards and recommended practices, as well as Shell standards and best practices to "build, maintain and improve the site's assets.
This posting is for two position in different workstreams.
One workstream is to provide mechanical engineering technical support in execution of work within the Maintenance, TA, Construction (MTAC) workstream.
Alternatively, the Pressure Equipment Integrity (PEI) workstream is supporting pressure equipment engineering in providing technical support to other refinery departments such as Process Engineering, MTAC, and Operations.
Technical direction and solutions to problems. When required (e.g. PHA studies, HEMP assessments, MOC's , Turnarounds, incident investigations, etc.), coordinate Mech Eng. support from the Materials/Corrosion Engineer, Shell P&T, and other technical resources.
Provide Engineering support to the Production Area and/or Maintenance Teams on technical issues as needed.
Provide input for risk assessment for design and execution options.
Active participant of MOC (Management of Change) process.
Participates in and supports unit specific activities such as Level 2 Investigations, 5-Why Investigations, and RCA's.
- Tank Program
- Establish project controls for the tank program with weekly reporting
- Support Tank Coordinator in development of scopes for tanks
- Lead update and look ahead meetings to drive appropriate and timely action from support organizations
- Maintenance projects
- Support Non-routine maintenance OPEX and Maintenance Capital projects development and approvals with associated GSAP/financial aspects
- Support NRM Coordinator and NRM Planner in development of scopes
- Provide assurance for any scopes submitted to MProj and provide feedback to disciplines for continuous improvement
- Simplify Maintenance Capital tracking and reporting structure
- Launch new milestone standards for scope deliverables by working the appropriate ELT. Coach these expectations to scope owners.
- Manage MProj supplementals development and approvals with associated GSAP/financial aspects
- Conduct monthly updates to OPEX and Maintenance Capital LE reporting
- Coach team and site in processes and ways of working
- CUI program
- Lead for CUI program (when its funded)
- Establish project controls, status reporting and look ahead.
- Drive efficiencies (e.g., complete more work (tags/sqft) with allotted funds)
- Ensure outage calendar is up to date
- Develop annual non-routine maintenance schedule and keep evergreen
- Support NRM coordinators and NRM Planner as needed
- Conduct Project Controls once established
- Maintenance MOC focal point.
- Executes Maintenance MOCs
- Participates in constructability/maintenance design for Routine Maintenance MOCs
- Maintenance Efficiencies focal point.
- Establish maintenance efficiency metrics
- Drive changes in the organization with data driven decisions
- Provide input to the area Inspector on technical aspects during the scope development stage including repair or alteration plans for pressure vessels.
- Provide Pressure Equipment Engineering support to ongoing turnaround events on technical issues as needed.
- Relief device selection, sizing, installation, inspection and servicing requirements and emergency flare system calculations in accordance with API and Shell EGGS; use of flame and detonation arrestors.
- Responsible for reviewing and specifying permanent and temporary repairs, calculation of renewal thicknesses and the assessment of remaining life for all tanks, pressure equipment and piping.
- Perform Level 2 fitness for service assessments based on Shell procedures and API inspection codes, including API-510, API-570, and API-653, in addition to API-579 Fitness for Service Evaluation.
- Provide technical assurance for in-service welding, hot tapping and line stopping requirements in accordance with Shell DEM/DEP, procedures, BP&G's and API.
- Responsible for pressure vessel design, fabrication, inspection, repair, alterations, rerating and testing requirements in Shell DEM/DEP, API, ASME, ISO, TEMA, and Shell BP&G's for new, and existing in-service vessels and heat exchangers.
- Process piping and tubing design, fabrication, inspection, repair, alteration, rerating, and testing requirements in accordance with Shell DEM/DEP, ASME, API, and Shell BP&G's.
- Provide technical assurance on MOC's for pressure equipment issues. Serve as the Responsible Person for a PEI driven MOC.
- Support Pressure Equipment Inspectors and Supervisors as needed on Shell RBI Reassessments and Revalidations, Interval Extension Analysis, Turnaround workscope optimization, analysis, and critiques.
- Provide assurance that all fixed equipment (and materials used to fabricate fixed equipment), relief devices, piping, piping components, valves, insulation, and refractory are purchased and/or installed from vendors, suppliers, and contractors that are technically approved (per the Site AVL, TAMAP, EFA).
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemical companies with about 84,000 employees across more than 70 countries. We aim to meet the world's growing need for more and cleaner energy solutions in ways that are economically, environmentally and socially responsible. We have expertise in exploration, production, refining and marketing of oil and natural gas, and the manufacturing and marketing of chemicals. As a global energy company operating in a challenging world, we set high standards of performance and ethical behaviors. We are judged by how we act and how we live up to our core values of honesty, integrity and respect for people. Our Business Principles are based on these. They promote trust, openness, teamwork and professionalism, as well as pride in what we do and how we conduct business. Building on our core values, we aspire to sustain a diverse and inclusive culture where everyone feels respected and valued, from our employees to our customers and partners. A diverse workforce and an inclusive work environment are vital to our success, leading to greater innovation and better energy solutions.Note: Shell announced on June 11th that it has reached an agreement for the sale of the Martinez Refinery to PBF Holding Company, LLC, a subsidiary of PBF Energy, Inc.. The sale is expected to close, pending regulatory approval, in the next several months.Requirements
- Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering
The following demonstrated experience for the candidate will be considered:
- Minimum three (3) years work experience in the fields of Pressure Equipment and Mechanical Engineering.
- Background in refinery or petrochemical plant processes along with working knowledge of Shell design standards and PEI Best Practices.
- Candidate must possess excellent communication, analytical, and problem solving skills and have the ability to work with people and lead teams.
- Self-starter who can set own goals and direction with minimal supervision.
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date.
Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world.
The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand.
Shell participates in E-Verify.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, citizenship, genetic information or other protected status under federal, state or local laws.
Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability.