Bapco is seeking an experienced utilities process engineer for the Technical Services Department, which is the process engineering centre for the Bapco refinery, to provide process engineering technical support to the Operating Departments and other key departments within the refinery.
Candidates must have experience and detailed understanding and knowledge of refinery utility facilities, including water thermal desalination, steam generation and distribution, fuel gas systems, flare systems, refinery wastewater treatment, cooling towers and once-through cooling water systems. They should also have good working knowledge of fired heaters.
Applicants must have a proven track record in performance monitoring and optimization of refinery utility facilities, including knowledge of water treatment chemicals, troubleshooting, undertaking of performance surveys and onsite field checks, preparation of performance reports and participation in unit shutdowns and turnarounds.Qualifications: Qualifications and Experience
The successful candidates will have:
- At least a BSc degree level, or equivalent, in Chemical Engineering from a recognized university.
- At least seven (7) years of relevant experience, most of which is in a refinery technical services role, providing process engineering support on the refinery utility facilities.
- Detailed knowledge of refinery utility facilities, including thermal desalination, steam generation and distribution, fuel gas systems, flare systems, compressed air generation and distribution, water and condensate demineralization, spent caustic treatment, refinery wastewater treatment, cooling towers and once-through cooling water systems.
- Expert knowledge of one or more relevant utility and off-site facilities.
- Conversant with monitoring and calculation of air emissions and water effluent.
- A good working knowledge of the main process simulation software used in the refining industry e.g. Hysys and HTRI.
- Excellent written and spoken English , good communication and mentoring skills and the ability to influence and gain support from various technical teams within the refinery.
- A good knowledge of Visual-MESA or any energy optimization software is an advantage.
- A good understanding of the refinery process units and their interactions with the refinery utility systems is highly desirable.
- Working knowledge of gas fired heaters is an added advantage.
The successful candidates will also be:
- A highly developed critical thinker, with excellent analytical, problem solving and decision-making skills.
- Self-motivated, creative and able to exercise initiative.
- Able to organize, plan and execute work effectively, independently and within teams
- Able to work well under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Able to mentor and inspire younger, less experienced utilities process engineers.
- Skilled in using MS Office software e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, in a process engineering technical services environment.