Houston, Texas, United States
Houston, Texas, United States
Skills: Electrical Engineering, Facilities Engineer, Project Engineer
Experience: 5 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Houston, Texas, United States
No location/work authorization restrictions found.
Competentia seeks an Electrical Engineer for a position in Houston, TX
Responsibilities may include:
• This position is responsible for coordination of improvement and new projects and cost/budget management
• Developing strategic plans for implementing/upgrading electrical distribution systems
• Supports project front end engineering and design and value improvement processes by evaluating electrical distribution configurations, identifying ratings/characteristics of major equipment, developing system design philosophy, technically interfacing with outside utilities and assessing reliability of systems ranging from 120V to 138kV
• Taking lead design role to develop and design scope on electrical capital projects including substations
• Ability to progress multiple projects simultaneously with a range of low to high complexity
• Preparing project authorization documentation including cost estimates, project justification, schedules and execution plans.
• Managing project scope, schedule and cost changes, with project sponsor approval. Coordinating and participating in the preparation of written technical documents such as design criteria, equipment and construction specifications. Developing, monitoring, and updating the project cash flow. Collaboratively with supervisor, prepares, evaluates and negotiates proposals from consultants, equipment vendors, and construction firms, and manages resulting work. Communicating project status on a regular basis to all stakeholders
• Developing project contract strategies and preparing engineering and bid specifications.
• Interacting with engineering and construction contractors both on-site and off-site
• Performing pre-startup safety reviews and audits of electrical installations
• Attend factory acceptance tests, and pre-commissioning field tests of large, pre-fab building substations, power transformers, VFD buildings and medium voltage motors.
• Overseeing application and interpretation of National Electric Code and other applicable city, state and federal codes and standards (e.g., PIP, IEEE, NFPA, API).
• Review and conduct power-system studies, including short circuit, protective coordination, load flow, motor starting analysis and harmonic analysis. Prepare power-system models and analyses. Be proficient using ETAP and SKM software
• Commissioning experience with smart protection relays such as SEL relays
• Develops and / or review main one-line electrical and protection diagrams.
• Planning and leading project meetings Maintain accurate project documentation of electrical equipment and drawings such as electrical one-lines and area classification drawings
• Working closely with the plant electrical engineer on electrical maintenance and reliability support including turnaround support
• Supporting documentation of systems and processes that maintain accurate electrical equipment information and drawings
• Performing job duties safely and championing the safety of others.
B.S. in Electrical Engineering.
Must have a valid driver's license.
Must be willing and able to obtain or currently hold a valid Transportation Workers Identification Credential (TWIC).
3 plus years of electrical experience including power design of 480V and above.
Must be willing and able to perform/comply with the following. Wear Nomex fire retardant clothing and personal protective equipment (such as steel-toe shoes, ear, and eye protection).
Maintain face daily so that a respirator/face mask can seal properly (some examples include being free of facial hair and/or clean shaven). Working outdoors and possibly in inclement weather conditions Preferred.
5 plus years of experience in a refinery and or chemical industry.
5 plus years of experience in electrical design and front end loading engineering process.
Demonstrated knowledge of electrical distribution systems such as un-interruptible power supplies, relays, power transformers, battery systems, adjustable speed drives, motors, generators, etc.
Proficient in use of SAP - PM and PS Modules . Proficient in MS office (Word, Excel, Outlook, Projects).
Expert knowledge of instrumentation and controls through design and field installation experience.
Working knowledge of electrical area classification, short circuit calculations, relay coordination studies, substation designs, and installations.
Strong analytical skills including statistical analysis. Strong interpersonal and written communication skills
Competentia is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status, or other status protected by law or regulation.
Competentia, participates in E-Verify as required by law.