Baker Hughes Technology Group is seeking an experienced Interdisciplinary Research Engineer with strong Mechanical Engineering background to advance science of drilling through analysis, modeling, lab testing, design, and development of novel technologies to improve Drill Bit performance.Essential Responsibilities:
- The Interdisciplinary Research Engineer will focus on conducting drilling dynamics experiments and coupling numerical models of various aspects of drilling mechanics, dynamics and tribology for the drill bit product line
- Own and lead/support projects focused on drilling mechanics
- Develop and improve numerical methods for describing drill bit drilling mechanics under pressurized condition.
- Develop an understanding of field application-drilling mechanical behaviors including system dynamics and tribological interactions.
- Implement appropriate predictive modeling tools and data analysis techniques to help solve drilling mechanics problems and make sound recommendations.
- Work closely with product development, lab services, engineering, and field operations to understand requirements and gather feedback
- Coordinate with testing services and operations engineers to design and conduct tests on industry leading facilities for developing fundamental understanding or validating drilling predictions
- Apply scientific method to identify and to investigate challenging drilling/mechanics and system dynamics problems and to advance the fundamental knowledge base.
- Conceptualize, design, build, and test prototypes of novel drill bit technologies
- Brainstorm and develop innovative solutions that bring value to our business and to our customers
- Assignments are broad in nature, requiring originality and ingenuity
- Master's Degree in Mechanical Engineering or related disciplines with a focus on engineering mechanics, systems design, and systems modeling
- 5-10 years of research and development experience with emphasis in theoretical and empirical descriptions of mechanical system behavior.
- 2+ years of mechanical systems design experience
- 1+ years of experience developing CAD models of prototype mechanical assemblies involving moderate complexity using solid modeling tools such as NX
- Analytical qualifications include experience developing multi-physics system models including mechanical, dynamic, and tribological components
- Demonstrated experience with modeling and simulation of multibody systems with commercial tools such as Matlab/Simulink or SimulationX, Python, C-#, C++
- Experience using data analysis and interpretation techniques including developing and implementing coded routines using tools such as Python, C-#, C++,
- Experience designing and conducting relevant experiments in both the laboratory and in the field, analyzing and interpreting the results and reporting the findings.
- Experience analyzing problems, proposing solutions and managing development from concept to implementation.
- Demonstrated ability to solve technical problems, develop relevant insights and possess the desire to share them
- Demonstrated ability to work independently or as part of a team.
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Must be ethical, action oriented, and customer oriented
- Must be authorized to work in the US
- Knowledge of oil and gas drilling, formation evaluation, geomechanics, and tribology is a plus
The Woodlands, TX
This is your opportunity to learn more, do more, live the career you have imagined and be part of a truly diverse organization.
Baker Hughes, a GE company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law. Learn more