Skills: Design Engineer, Mechanical Engineering
Experience: 5 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Turriff, Scotland, United Kingdom
No location/work authorization restrictions found.
Job Title: Mechanical Design Engineer
Purpose of Position:
Designing new products in accordance with relevant COMPANY and international standards, checking/verifying suitability of designs with regards to strength and function. To generate detail mechanical designs, utilizing appropriate materials and design standards, together with supporting calculations to verify the integrity of the design
Qualification and Skills required:
- Degree in Mechanical Engineering
- Chartered Status (Preferred)
- Experience in the design of any of the following product lines: Drum Winches, Linear Winches, HPU's, Tensioners, Reel Drive Systems
- Experience designing to DNV 2.22, DNV 2.7-3, DNV 2.7-1
- Knowledge of rotating equipment design
- Competent creating mechanical design calculation packages
- IT literate with Microsoft Package Experience
- Experience selecting bearings, shafts, gears, etc.
- Experience writing technical specifications, FAT's, OMM's, etc
- Knowledge of International Winch and Deck Machinery markets, products and associated drive and power systems (including applications)
- Offshore experience (Preferred)
- Offshore survival BOSIET \ Medical \ MIST (Preferred)
- Ability to perform mechanical stress calculations
- Professional verbal communication
- Constructive Time Management including prioritization
- Experience using MathCAD
- Confident presenting design reviews to peers and clients
- Experience using Autodesk Inventor (or similar)
- Experience using Autodesk AutoCAD
- Experience using FEA (Autodesk Inventor or similar)
- Experience using STAAD (preferred).
- Ability to communicate and work with others amicably
- Ability to work on own initiative and also as a team member
- Ability to work under pressure, set and achieve deadlines
- Ability to motivate staff under their control
- Exceptional people management skills
- Self-motivated and uses own initiative
- At all times, demonstrates appropriate safety behaviours and maximise efforts by adopting the systems available to ensure zero accidents/incidents
- Through clear understanding, be integral to the delivery of the HSEQ strategy
- Through clear understanding, be integral to the delivery of the business Financial strategy
- Through clear understanding, be integral to the delivery of the HR and Winch Academy strategy
- Comply with COMPANY Integrated Management System procedures and manage continuous improvements
- At all times, seek to improve on the quality and output of all aspects of work
- Under the guidance of the project engineer prioritise assigned tasks and ensure on time delivery
- Attend project meetings and provide technical input for mechanical discipline.
- Ensure that assigned project deliverables are delivered on time as per the project plan.
- Attend Project meetings and provide feedback on assigned tasks.
- Provide regular and timely reports to project engineer.
- Raise requisitions for required materials \ services through C-SAM
- Provide technical support to offshore personnel as and when required
- Provide technical support at client FAT equipment testing (as required)
- Identify training needs and submit TRF's
- Mentor graduate engineers as required.
- Demonstrate and encourage correct safety behaviours - leading by example
- Stop the Job whenever an unsafe act is witnessed
- Raise HSEQ reports as required
- Close out Q pulse actions in a timely manner
- Liaise with Safety Representative as and when required
- Raise OAR cards in a positive manner to encourage a safe environment for all
- Delivery of HSEQ action plans
- Undertake and feedback audits as required
- Be aware of commercial implications within contracts e.g. payment milestones and LD (liquidated damages)
- Ensuring that all orders and contacts are completed to the clients satisfaction while maximising the financial benefit
- Liaise with finance to provide accurate information on project costings
- Manage COMPANY Variation Order Request (VOR) according to Procedures
Compliance of Management Systems
- Complete, Check, revise and validate documentation
- Assist with company / client audits as and when required.
- Always promote the company in a positive manner
- Interpret clients needs and create Functional Design Specifications.
- Liaise with drawing office and clearly communicate design concepts.
- Create design calculations packages to validate designs.
- Check \ Approve engineering calculation packages.
- Conduct Finite Element Analysis studies using Autodesk Inventor.
- Conduct structural analysis using STAAD.Pro.
- Lead design reviews and record design changes.
- Support the sales department in technical proposals and client meetings when requested
- Ensure equipment designs fulfil COMPANY and customer specifications
- Managing technical elements efficiently and effectively to ensure best solution is provided.
- Provide technical support to workshop and offshore personnel.
- Be part of the on-call rota for out of hours technical support for offshore personnel.
- Apply HR policies & procedures where necessary
- Get advice from HR as and when required
- Participate in recruitment to identify key personnel
- Ensure the efficient use of department resources
Established in 1981 in Aberdeen, Carlton Resource Solutions (Carlton) is a recognised local, national and international recruitment solutions provider. At Carlton we understand the importance of values such as honesty, integrity, candour and professionalism and believe that because of this our customer service is second to none.
Yes, we have an extensive candidate database with candidates across the globe.
Yes we have consultants who will be happy to discuss your needs – but as far as we are concerned, by far the most important thing is not just that we are knowledgeable and proficient in what we do, but that, above all, you can trust us to do exactly what we say; provide the individual service you require, and deliver it in a professional and courteous manner.