Skills: Chemical Engineering, Chemist
Other Skills: Scientist
Education: Masters Degree
Employment Type: Full Time Salaried Employee
Location: The Hague, South Holland, Netherlands
No location/work authorization restrictions found.
Our health professionals of Shell Health help to keep our workers and the communities surrounding our workplaces and assets, healthy and safe. We also help ensure compliance with country laws and regulations in the work environment and for product safety, as well as Shell Group requirements in the Control Framework for Health, Safety, Security, Environment and Social Performance. Would you like to part of our team?
Where you fit
Within Shell Health we are looking for an Exposure Scientist to join our Risk Science Team (RST). The RST partners with internal and external stakeholders to develop and implement health and environmental risk assessment outcomes. This has a direct impact on Shell's business bottom line by ensuring that the Company's business objectives are met in operations, projects and for products. The RST acts as a business enabler by providing our stakeholders with our products: health and environmental insights for products; promoting healthy new technology and design; toxic materials alternatives; and proposing innovative risk management solutions. Areas of particular relevance to the Exposure Science Team are regulatory chemical safety assessments for new and existing products; innovative exposure monitoring methodologies; exposure control guidance for health hazards; critical reviews of operational Health Risk Assessments; interpretation and guidance for new emerging health hazards.
Our health professionals help to keep our workers and the communities surrounding our workplaces and assets, healthy and safe. We also help ensure compliance with country laws and regulations in the work environment and for product safety, as well as Shell Group requirements in the HSSE-Compliance Framework. To do this, our multi-disciplinary team of risk scientists works with Health, Environmental, Product Stewardship and other HSSE specialists, as well as business and functional line managers across all our operations, to assess potential health risks in the workplace. This includes working with business leaders and teams to ensure that workers are protected from job-related health risks when dealing with chemicals, noise, radiation and other physical, ergonomic, biological or psychological hazards. Similarly, we work with our stakeholders to ensure consumers can handle our products safely. We also proactively seek to identify opportunities for health improvements that add business value such as finding viable and practical alternatives to traditional ways of working.
What's the role?
A significant part of our role is to support the safe handling of our products throughout the supply chain, not only for our own operations but also covering their application by our customers. Working together with our team of epidemiologists, toxicologists and ecotoxicologists, our exposure scientists are proactive in carrying out product risk assessments to meet the increasing product regulatory requirements, and also to meet our company values of responsible care.
The main responsibilities of the position are to:
- Deliver top quality and fit-for-purpose specialist Health Risk Assessment (HRA) projects, which add sustainable business value, for example in the area of new product development or in response to emerging health and environmental issues;
- Provide specialist exposure science input in global (virtual) teams, including physiologically based pharmaco-kinetic modelling;
- Participate in our research program to develop, validate and apply novel approaches to assessing human exposure to hazardous agents;
- Formulate and maintain exposure scenarios (ES) for compliance with REACH and other international product regulations;
- Working closely with our Product Stewards, support the REACH Safety Data Sheet (SDS) authoring and review process for confirmation and documentation of Use details and verification of Risk Management Measures;
- Support delivery of high quality, innovative and fit-for-purpose Health Risk Assessment and Exposure Data Management processes in the global Industrial Hygiene program;
- Provide global support on Occupational Exposure Limits and other reference values for health risk assessment: development, implementation and compliance.
Shell Nederland BV is a platform for international collaboration, with Shell offering direct employment to around ten thousand people in the Netherlands alone, including roughly 2,800 non-Dutch employees from around 80 countries. Diversity is key at Shell Nederland, and our employees reflect the innovation that stems from a diverse workforce. By joining Shell Nederland, you will benefit from an unrivalled industry-leading development programme that will see you tap into a pool of expert knowledge that will help propel your career. Shell Nederland is the holding company of most Shell companies operating in the Netherlands. Shell Nederland also has an advisory and coordinating role in numerous areas.
What we need from you
Along with your Master's or PhD (preferred) in Exposure Science or Industrial Hygiene, we'd also hope to see as many of the following on your CV:
- Substantial experience as Exposure Scientist.
- Broad Exposure Science and/or Industrial Hygiene knowledge, passion and interest.
- Industrial Hygiene or Product Regulatory experience in chemical, oil and gas industry is a plus.
An innovative place to work
There's never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you'll add your talent and imagination to a business with the power to shape the future - whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress together, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we're nurturing an inclusive environment - one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills and reach your potential...
- We're creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply and we'll take it from there.
- We're closing the gender gap - whether that's through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We're striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We're huge advocates for career development. We'll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date.
Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world.
The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand.
Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Learn More about Shell: Watch their Life at Shell Video