At Shell our commitment is to satisfy the world's need for energy and chemical products with responsible solutions, and seeking to thrive through the energy transition. If you want to work with a group of creative, ambitious and innovative professionals then you should consider Shell. We'll provide you with the resources to put your ideas into action, worldwide opportunities, and outstanding benefits. Let's make a real difference together.
Within Shell Health we are looking for an Exposure Scientist to join our Risk Science Team (RST). The RST partners with internal and external stakeholders to develop and implement health and environmental risk assessment outcomes. This has a direct impact on Shell's business bottom line by ensuring that the Company's business objectives are met in operations, projects and for products. The RST acts as a business enabler by providing our stakeholders with our products: health and environmental insights for products; promoting healthy new technology and design; toxic materials alternatives; and proposing innovative risk management solutions. Areas of particular relevance to the Exposure Science Team are regulatory chemical safety assessments for new and existing products; innovative exposure monitoring methodologies; exposure control guidance for health hazards; critical reviews of operational Health Risk Assessments; interpretation and guidance for new emerging health hazards.
Our health professionals help to keep our workers and the communities surrounding our workplaces and assets, healthy and safe. We also help ensure compliance with country laws and regulations in the work environment and for product safety, as well as Shell Group requirements in the HSSE-Compliance Framework. To do this, our multi-disciplinary team of risk scientists works with Health, Environmental, Product Stewardship and other HSSE specialists, as well as business and functional line managers across all our operations, to assess potential health risks in the workplace. This includes working with business leaders and teams to ensure that workers are protected from job-related health risks when dealing with chemicals, noise, radiation and other physical, ergonomic, biological or psychological hazards. Similarly, we work with our stakeholders to ensure consumers can handle our products safely. We also proactively seek to identify opportunities for health improvements that add business value such as finding viable and practical alternatives to traditional ways of working.
A significant part of our role is to support the safe handling of our products throughout the supply chain, not only for our own operations but also covering their application by our
customers. Working together with our team of epidemiologists, toxicologists and ecotoxicologists, our exposure scientists are proactive in carrying out product risk assessments to meet the increasing product regulatory requirements, and also to meet our company values of responsible care.
The main responsibilities of the position are to:
- Deliver top quality and fit-for-purpose specialist Health Risk Assessment (HRA) projects, which add sustainable business value, for example in the area of new product development or in response to emerging health and environmental issues.
- Provide specialist exposure science input in global (virtual) teams, including physiologically based pharmaco-kinetic modelling.
- Participate in our research program to develop, validate and apply novel approaches to assessing human exposure to hazardous agents.
- Formulate and maintain exposure scenarios (ES) for compliance with REACH and other international product regulations.
- Working closely with our Product Stewards, support the REACH Safety Data Sheet (SDS) authoring and review process for confirmation and documentation of Use details and verification of Risk Management Measures.
- Support delivery of high quality, innovative and fit-for-purpose Health Risk Assessment and Exposure Data Management processes in the global Industrial Hygiene program.
- Provide global support on Occupational Exposure Limits and other reference values for health risk assessment: development, implementation and compliance.
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemical companies with about 84,000 employees across more than 70 countries. We aim to meet the world's growing need for more and cleaner energy solutions in ways that are economically, environmentally and socially responsible. We have expertise in exploration, production, refining and marketing of oil and natural gas, and the manufacturing and marketing of chemicals. As a global energy company operating in a challenging world, we set high standards of performance and ethical behaviors. We are judged by how we act and how we live up to our core values of honesty, integrity and respect for people. Our Business Principles are based on these. They promote trust, openness, teamwork and professionalism, as well as pride in what we do and how we conduct business.Building on our core values, we aspire to sustain a diverse and inclusive culture where everyone feels respected and valued, from our employees to our customers and partners. A diverse workforce and an inclusive work environment are vital to our success, leading to greater innovation and better energy solutions.Requirements
- Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer.
- Exposure Science or Industrial Hygiene Training at University level (MSc or equivalent; PhD preferred)
- Minimum five (5) years' relevant work experience.
- Professionally qualified or eligible for professional qualification.
- Broad Exposure Science and/or Industrial Hygiene knowledge, passion and interest.
- Industrial Hygiene or Product Regulatory experience in chemical, oil and gas industry is a plus.
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date.
Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world.
The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand.
Shell participates in E-Verify.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, citizenship, genetic information or other protected status under federal, state or local laws.
Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability.