Skills: Business Analyst, Commercial Management, Financial Analyst
Experience: 8 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Employment Type: Full Time Salaried Employee
Location: Martinez, California, United States
No location/work authorization restrictions found.
The Refinery Economist is part of the site's Economics & Scheduling (E&S) team.
The E&S team has the primary responsibility of managing and optimizing the hydrocarbon production of the refinery, which includes the valuation and selection of crude and feedstock, defining and monitoring targets for process unit operations, right through to the blending and delivery of products to our customers. Our goal is to deliver the right product to the right place on time and maximize the integrated margin for the site and across the different lines of businesses.
The Economist is an instrumental contributor to the successful delivery of the refinery business plan and maximizing cash flow from operations. This role supports growing the margin capability of the site, through economic and yield studies as well as site wide economic communication. Close cooperation with all departments at the site as well as with partners within Trading & Supply and Projects & Technology organizations is essential for driving performance towards these targets.
- Supports development and delivery of the optimal monthly operating plans and implements the day-to-day optimisation of the site in close operation with the scheduling team.
- Provide support to the annual business plan process and the site's business development
- Maintain inventories and non- oil cost (i.e. demurrage, freight, etc.) within target range and volumetric exposure within natural length, applying Price Risk Management as needed.
- Provide weekly margin steers to the refinery including values of key constraints and cut points.
- Lead analysis on crude and product economics including cargo economics, marginal product make economics, octane and RVP value. Use economics to help drive in month product Optimisations with Trading & Supply organization.
- Provide input to the site process control group for on-line Optimiser economics as needed w/changes in market pricing.
- Monitor crude and product market pricing, key market indicators (such as inventories), and regional competitor operating constraints.
- Assists the Refinery Scheduler and scheduling department in delivering the monthly operating plan.
- Monitors site performance against agreed plans, and derives direction for opportunity identification
- Explore & conduct business development opportunities locally for margin growth projects
- Partner with supply chain partners to develop & support End-to-End (E2E) margin projects
- Performs economic evaluations for hydrocarbons margin improvement proposals, project evaluation and CAPEX proposals
- Support the Margin Variance Analysis (MVA) monthly process
- Performs analysis by comparing business /operating plans to actual performance.
- Communicate insights and supports the refinery in understanding lost business opportunities each month via the MVA process.
- Summarises work done on MVA/gap appraisals for management review.
- Identifies and supports the implementation of improvement opportunities, including specific incident tracking
As the E&S department assists the operations department, coverage 24/7 is required and weekend/night coverage is required but rotated amongst the team.
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemical companies with about 84,000 employees across more than 70 countries. We aim to meet the world's growing need for more and cleaner energy solutions in ways that are economically, environmentally and socially responsible. We have expertise in exploration, production, refining and marketing of oil and natural gas, and the manufacturing and marketing of chemicals. As a global energy company operating in a challenging world, we set high standards of performance and ethical behaviors. We are judged by how we act and how we live up to our core values of honesty, integrity and respect for people. Our Business Principles are based on these. They promote trust, openness, teamwork and professionalism, as well as pride in what we do and how we conduct business. Building on our core values, we aspire to sustain a diverse and inclusive culture where everyone feels respected and valued, from our employees to our customers and partners. A diverse workforce and an inclusive work environment are vital to our success, leading to greater innovation and better energy solutions.
Note: Shell announced on June 11th that it has reached an agreement for the sale of the Martinez Refinery to PBF Holding Company, LLC, a subsidiary of PBF Energy, Inc. Although this position is being advertised through Shell it is the intent that the candidate will transition with the sale. The sale is expected to close, pending regulatory approval, in the next several months.
The individual should be able to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team in an ever-changing and fast paced environment. In order to drive Optimisation across organizational boundaries this role requires effective engagement with a wide range of refinery and Trading & Supply stakeholders.
The role will provide ample opportunity to develop commercial skills in the areas of refinery planning, refinery margin Optimisation, and business development/opportunity evaluation. This role will play a significant role in driving margin delivery at the site.
On top of that, we want to hear from men and women with the following:
- Legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer.
- Bachelor's degree is required; preferably in Engineering, Supply Chain or other related discipline.
- Minimum eight (8) years prior experience in an Oil & Gas, Petrochemical or Chemical facility specializing in E&S is essential.
- Understanding of Linear Program (LP) usage in a refinery/supply chain environment.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills combined with analytical ability and attention to details are essential to manage multiple working interfaces at various levels.
- Ability to provide clear communication on economic direction whilst considering the feasibility aspects too.
- Capability to deal with various issues at the same time and taking decisions with incomplete information.
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date.
Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world.
The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand.
Shell participates in E-Verify.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, citizenship, genetic information or other protected status under federal, state or local laws.
Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability.
Learn More about Shell: Watch their Life at Shell Video