Job Description Where you fit in
Shell Energy China (SEC), a Trading entity based in Beijing forms part of the Global Trading and Supply organization. SEC was incorporated in Oct 2014 to trade domestic Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) and to participate in the fledgling Chinese emissions (CO2) trading scheme.
The role is unique in that it straddles both the LNG and CO2 commodities and will be instrumental in growing the business in a controlled and profitable manner. The role is to provide financial rigor to all aspects of running a trading business from advising on individual structured trades to the production of the statutory accounts. What's the role?
The SEC Finance Advisor is expected to act as a primary finance business partner to both the LNG originators in Beijing and the emissions traders based in Shanghai. This role includes, but is not limited to:
- Acting as primary finance business partner to SEC, which will involve advising on transactions and opportunities in emissions as well as the LNG space by challenging business decisions and new business development (including front line support on price risks, deal economics, Tax, Treasury and finance-process matters).
- Accountable for understanding the entity financial statements and the group financial framework (compliance and reporting), ensuring accurate reporting and a robust control framework.
- Being the go-to person and entry point to the wider finance community for the business. That means fully understanding the business request and eventually linking with other key functions: Tax, Legal, Treasury, Controllers etc.
- Actively contributing to activities/projects that add to the bottom line of Shell - either via extracting more value from current deals/setup (price risk management, or enable better optimization) or by assisting with new business opportunities.
- Solving complex problems in a timely manner and interfacing with government offices in relation to Local Statutory Reporting.
- Ensuring the business has a fit for purpose, risk-based governance and control framework for its activities and drives development and adoption of a structured self-assurance process by the business.
Shell's story in China dates back more than 100 years. At Shell China we will make sure that your ideas will travel. All of Shell's core businesses are now represented in China. We need world-class candidates to continue our drive to innovate and answer the world's energy needs in socially and environmentally responsible ways.Requirements What we need from you
Business Partnering, leadership and stakeholder management skills. The ability to achieve results through influencing and motivating others (inside and outside finance) and to communicate effectively with all levels throughout the organization.
- Minimum of 10 years' experience as a finance professional in providing business support and business performance improvement in complex business and regulatory environments, handling multiple interfaces at operational through General Manager level.
- Accounting or Finance qualification (CIMA, ACA, CA, CPA, CFA or equivalent) preferable.
- Curiosity, energy, and enthusiasm to engage with Business Leaders and colleagues to understand the underlying business drivers.
- Confidence in working with a complex network of virtual teams and supporting multiple sets of business stakeholders.
- Ability to work with significant uncertainty and with little direct management given fledgling business and emerging market.
- Ability to work on multiple deals at once and effectively prioritize in a high paced environment.
- Fluency in both Mandarin & English (written and verbal).
- SAP knowledge is preferable.
- Understanding of the regulatory environment in China (incl statutory reporting, tax and legal) preferable.
- Understanding of the banking framework and processes in China preferable.
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date.
Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world.
The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand.
Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer.