Martinez, California, United States
Martinez, California, United States
Skills: HSE Manager / Advisor, Safety Officer
Experience: 3 + Years
Education: Associates/2 yr Degree/Diploma
Employment Type: Full Time Salaried Employee
Location: Martinez, California, United States
No location/work authorization restrictions found.
The Refinery Safety Leader (RTL) - Field Safety Assurance is a critical position for the refinery. This role is the safety leader on shift, who supports adherence to safety programs and is the first level of Emergency Response during incidents.
Field Safety duties:
- Provide 24/7 Health and Safety coverage at the refinery for general H&S activities.
- Follow checklist for shift duties for consistency and continuity and maintain Shift Report and turnover.
- Attend all team meetings and tour refinery at the beginning of shift.
- Coordinate and work with RTL for on-shift safety huddles, stand downs, informational gatherings as needed. Document meetings with attendance.
- Be a focal point to disseminate monthly safety topics and other safety related materials.
- Ensure Instrumentation calibration and check for proper operation.
- Provide guidance and co-sign confined space entry and hot work permits.
- Understand and share safety best practices across all operating departments. Participate in job walks and JSAs.
- Conduct on-shift fire crew exercises and drills.
- Perform duties as Health & Safety and Emergency Response trainer.
- Coordinate, facilitate, and document critiques of incidents and drills that occur on own shift.
- Provide permit training and certification for new operators.
- Provide Industrial Hygiene monitoring as needed by direction of Industrial Hygienist. Consult with IH as needed for issues.
- Conduct accident investigation activities when needed. The RSL must be involved in all environmental and safety investigations. Ensure that learnings from investigations are shared with the workforce.
- Provide support to RTL when RTL needs to interface with agency representatives including law enforcement; RTL is the primary Security leader in off hours. Refinery Safety Leader is Support to RTL & FSO in off hours.
Emergency Response Duties:
- Develop strong working knowledge of Incident Command System, including filling various Incident Command roles up to and including Incident Commander.
- Assume the role as Field Incident Commander in the event of a plant emergency. Provide guidance to the Basic Fire Crew, and emergency response crews. This shall include filling roles within the Incident Command System, as provided in SMR's Emergency Action Plan.
- Assess the situation and provide a radio call with pertinent details and report conditions to the RTL, and Security. Request additional resources such as EMT, SHARCs and IH support.
- Implement strategies and tactics commensurate with resources to safeguard life, property, and the environment. Begin documentation of events and requests.
- Provide turnover to H&S supervisor on status of the incident, notifications made, and status of the emergency response activities. Remain available for reassignment within the incident command structure.
- Review and document all emergency response personnel at beginning of shft.
- Assure condition and readiness of emergency response equipment. Maintain fire gear as needed.
- Service and inspect mobile emergency equipment and as needed service all other emergency equipment, including emergency generators.
- Familiarization of emergency Generators, fire water pumps and locations of all emergency equipment is an expectation.
- Provide leadership and mentoring in safety awareness including safety feedback, safety suggestions and 0-60.
- Assist in annual procedure reviews and updates.
- Provide support to Turnaround activities and other projects as needed.
- Rotate to other H&S Specialist roles, including: Emergency Response Coordinator, Equipment Coordinator and Day Specialist as required by department.
This role is a highly visible position that requires the ability to support and communicate effectively with all levels of management and staff including Contractors and other outside stakeholders.
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemical companies with about 84,000 employees across more than 70 countries. We aim to meet the world's growing need for more and cleaner energy solutions in ways that are economically, environmentally and socially responsible. We have expertise in exploration, production, refining and marketing of oil and natural gas, and the manufacturing and marketing of chemicals. As a global energy company operating in a challenging world, we set high standards of performance and ethical behaviors. We are judged by how we act and how we live up to our core values of honesty, integrity and respect for people. Our Business Principles are based on these. They promote trust, openness, teamwork and professionalism, as well as pride in what we do and how we conduct business. Building on our core values, we aspire to sustain a diverse and inclusive culture where everyone feels respected and valued, from our employees to our customers and partners. A diverse workforce and an inclusive work environment are vital to our success, leading to greater innovation and better energy solutions.
Note: Shell announced on June 11th that it has reached an agreement for the sale of the Martinez Refinery to PBF Holding Company, LLC, a subsidiary of PBF Energy, Inc., for $1 billion. The sale is expected to close, pending regulatory approval, in the next several months.
- Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer.
- Associate Degree or higher is beneficial but not required. GED or High School Diploma required
- At least three (3) years work experience in a related role for a refinery or similar facility
- Previous emergency response experience is preferred.
- Demonstrated skill in a Health & Safety discipline in a refinery environment is highly desirable.
- Previous supervisory experience is preferred.
- The successful candidate must be willing and able to obtain as well as maintain all required emergency response certifications including:
- Incident Commander
- High angle as well as confined space rescue
- Advanced first aid certification (EMT encouraged)
- Advanced firefighting techniques mastery
- Possess strong technical writing skills; have the ability to establish and write new policies, procedures, work instructions, Safety Plans, and similar documents.
- Develop strong working knowledge of HSE Management System.
- Develop strong working knowledge of federal, state, and local regulations, as well as industry standards and guidelines and internal standards and practices. This shall include a strong working knowledge of Process Safety Management regulations.
- Capacity to develop close working relationships with the Emergency response teams, turnaround group, production and other leaders
- Credibility across entire organization.
- Able to effectively communicate to all levels of the organization, to regulators and to others in Emergency response field
- Ability to manage multiple tasks at one time and to maintain composure under pressure.
- Periodic travel required for training and meetings
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date.
Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world.
The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand.
Shell participates in E-Verify.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, citizenship, genetic information or other protected status under federal, state or local laws.
Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability.
Learn More about Shell: Watch their Life at Shell Video