Reading, United Kingdom
Reading, United Kingdom
Skills: Business Development
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Reading, United Kingdom
No location/work authorization restrictions found.
Overview / Responsibilities
Wood in Reading has an exciting opportunity for a Business Devlopment Manager to join our team here in Reading.
The Business Development Manager's primary role is to find and take advantage of opportunities to grow Wood's NEMEA (Northern Europe, Middle East & Africa) Capital Projects business, in line with the NEMEA Business Plan.
The role's objective is focussed on the winning of new business for the home engineering centre of Reading and supports the DBD in meeting strategic business targets including financial and client relationship development.
Primary focus will be upon the development and management of Reading's prospect portfolio for FEED's, Detail Design, EPCM/EPC and PMC projects for complex refining and chemicals/petrochemicals as well as upstream onshore oil and gas developments, midstream LNG and XTL.
The BDM will co-ordinate with other regional BDM's and execution centres within NEMEA (Northern Europe, Middle East and Africa) and across Wood (including London and other service lines as necessary) to fully exploit opportunities for the home offices, identifying the complementary skillsets/competence/relationships/cost bases which may be advantageous to employ to best position Wood to win work.
The role reports functionally to the Director of Business Development and operationally to Reading's Operations Director and is part of the Reading Leadership team. The position works very closely with Reading's Operations Director to ensure alignment of skills/capabilities and the prospects being pursued, identifying new market opportunities which may require service broadening or new capabilities to be developed.
The BDM will also work closely with Capital Projects Middle East BDD to develop the regional prospects and opportunities in the ME for Reading's CoE, promoting workshare in region and with HVEC's.
Co-ordinating with other Wood Regional Leadership teams as necessary, the BDM supports all positioning, business strategies, business development, acquisition pursuits, key customer management and proposal activities and ensures they are consistent with Wood's processes, procedures, strategic plan and business goals for their Region.
The BDM will utilise their market/client/opportunity knowledge to identify risks and/or win probability to enable a Pursue/No Pursue recommendation.
The role ensures Wood is aligned and well 'Positioned' to nurture new/existing client relationships;
- Provide input to and deliver effective strategies to gain new business
- Define new market entry requirements and win propositions, developing a clear route map to successful pre-qualification and bid submissions and communicate clearly to pursuit and proposal teams
- Provide input to execution plans, including information and intelligence on customer needs, detailing views and opinions on the competitor landscape in order to develop compelling propositions to enhance the success of business winning
- Progress the processing of customer enquiries, prequalification compilations and bid submissions for clients and projects
- Work closely with other internal departments to ensure the needs of the client are fulfilled in a timely manner and any issues resolved
- Inform CP NEMEA Leadership of market conditions, competitors, relationship status and collaborative opportunities
- Develop, maintain and broaden good business relationship with existing and prospective clients
- Ensure Compliance with the Business Ethics Policy, Risk Assessments and Internal Audit requirements, embracing a culture of compliance within the UK business.
- Identification, validation and leadership of key prospects and opportunities, in particular for the onshore refining and petrochem industry
- Facilitate client meetings with appropriate Wood personnel to achieve business objectives and meet client needs.
- Use commercial and contractual acumen to identify barriers to success and enable early assessment of the likely competitiveness of a Wood offering
- Co-ordinate NEMEA input into the LRM process and participate in the review
- Provide support to the DBD to aid with accurate forecasting/re-forecasting activities and prospect portfolio management
- Create, review, manage and maintain integrity of all opportunity records in the CRM system to ensure accuracy, governance and compliance.
- Be an ambassador for collaboration by working with the other regional Wood entities to ensure an aligned, structured and strategic customer approach to business growth and market expansion within the region.
- Accountable for positioning plan compliance for all live and future opportunities.
- Ensure independent customer feedback is obtained by carrying out regular client visits. Feedback to be collated and summarised in a timely fashion and presented back to the DBD/NEMEA Leadership teams.
- Assist all Country/Contract managers and other operations personnel with regular customer feedback ensuring feedback is analysed, understood and built into improvement plans.
- Identify potential acquisition targets and potential JV partners.
- Establish strong customer network and identify opportunities well ahead of time to allow for sufficient strategy development and positioning to maximise our chances of securing the work. It is expected that such relationships will enable insight to be determined on prospective customer business plans.
- The role will include extensive travel throughout the region.
- Develop a strong relationship with local partners and maximise combined strengths to identify and secure work.
- Develop opportunity win strategies and participate in opportunity execution strategy development
- Be wholly familiar with various Government / State apparatus as it applies to contract approvals and awards as appropriate
Skills / Qualifications
Degree qualified in an engineering subject or equivalent - preferred
Advanced computer skills and knowledge of Microsoft office tools, Word/Excel/PowerPoint, required
- A sound understanding of onshore and offshore engineering from concept through to commissioning, in both upstream (preferable) and downstream (essential) projects
- Compliance with company policies, procedures and processes.
- Proficient in use of relevant company Strategy and Development tools and systems.
- Thorough understanding and ability to implement industry best practice
- Good understanding of the commercial drivers in our business.
- At all times act in interest of Wood and strictly in compliance with Code of Business Ethics.
- International Oil & Gas business development experience for onshore/offshore projects
- Strong experience in the refining and petrochemical industry sector
- A sound knowledge of engineering project delivery through all front end phases and execution, including owners engineer and PMC's.
- Experience in a proposals development role would be advantageous
- Candidate will have worked within an engineering contractors organisation in a senior role driven by meeting deadlines whilst maintaining quality of output in a high pressure environment
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 60,000 people, with revenues of over $10 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets, including the upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, power & process, environment and infrastructure, clean energy, mining, nuclear, and general industrial sectors. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.