Darlington, United Kingdom
Darlington, United Kingdom
Skills: Commercial Management
Experience: 15 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Darlington, United Kingdom
No location/work authorization restrictions found.
Overview / Responsibilities
Wood, Europe and Africa Downstream Business have a requirement for a Commercial Manager. This is a permanent position and will be based in our offices in Darlington, although there will be travel to other offices and client sites when required.
- To ensure that the commercial interests of the Downstream Projects business are protected in the pre-contract phase such that contracts are won on terms which optimise the potential for profitability; to ensure that risks are effectively managed in the pre contract and post contract phases of projects; and to ensure that commercial entitlement under contracts pursued and obtained.
- To support the Downstream Projects business growth strategy
- In addition, to ensure the Downstream Projects business operates profitably and in a safe and ethical manner to fulfil the objectives of its shareholders, customers and staff.
- Maintain and promote a safe working environment and demonstrate correct HSSEA behaviours and leadership
- Act ethically and with the utmost integrity at all times. Comply with Wood Code of Business Conduct, Anti Bribery and Corruption undertakings and the Wood mandatory and fundamental procedures and ensure compliance throughout the Downstream Projects business.
- Provide leadership and strategic direction for the Downstream Projects Commercial team.
- Provide accurate and professional Commercial guidance and support to the Downstream Projects Leadership.
- Accountable for the Commercial performance of the Downstream Projects and delivering profitable opportunities to the business to stabilise and grow Downstream Projects and increase our market share.
- Deliver financial results in line with approved budgets and forecasts through robust cost management and maximising contractual entitlement.
- Ensure that contracts are reviewed, qualified and negotiated in accordance with Contracting Policy.
- Ensure that tender pricing is accurate and in accordance with relevant policies and procedures.
- Ensure that effective governance is in place for the review and approval of tenders, specifically, ensure tendering and proposals are effectively managed in accordance with Wood policies and procedures and that all Tender Governance approvals are obtained.
- Ensure that processes are in place for the effective hand over from pre contract to post contract phase of projects.
- Ensure compliance with all commercial processes, standards and procedures including the Financial Management Framework
- Ensure projects have the appropriate commercial resource as agreed with the Head of Commercial and the Operations Manager.
- Provision of direction in connection with the formation of joint ventures.
- Liaison with Tax, Insurance and Legal Departments to ensure that contracts are entered into in accordance with all relevant policies.
- Ensuring that effective risk management applied during pre-contract and post contract phases.
- Ensure that bonds, guarantees and collateral warranties are subject to relevant company policies and that the inherent risks are managed.
- Provision of commercial and contractual advice in connection with Supply Chain matters.
- Lead successful dispute resolution within Wood Downstream Projects in relation to claims for and against the Downstream business.
- Ensure that processes are in place to ensure the effective administration of contracts, including the timely submission of variation requests.
- Ensure effective post-contract commercial management of contracts and that commercial entitlement is pursued.
- Ensure that end life forecasting and cost/value reporting is undertaken in accordance with relevant policies such that the appropriate revenues are recognised.
- Ensure that contract KPI schemes are properly administered in accordance with contract terms and conditions.
- Identify and manage synergies and deliver cost savings through relationships with other Wood business units.
- Maximise cash-flow through robust management of contractual terms and conditions.
- Ensure that appropriate training and development is provided for employees in the Commercial Function.
Skills / Qualifications
- Degree in Quantity Surveying, Law or Business Studies, along with appropriate professional qualification
Knowledge, skills and experience:
- Minimum of fifteen years Commercial Management experience in the Engineering & Construction sector (or similar)
- Comprehensive understanding of risks inherent in Engineering & Construction contracts
- Some experience in dispute resolution
- Experience in the establishment and / or running of joint ventures
- Ability to analyse commercial and contractual risks and make clear recommendations for approval
- Ability to functionally lead Commercial teams within Business
- Ability to direct dispute resolution processes to optimise claim settlements
- Utmost integrity
- Good negotiation skills
- Thorough knowledge of company policies and procedures
- Working knowledge of published standard forms of contract
- Mentoring and coaching skills
- Ability to interact effectively at all levels
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 60,000 people, with revenues of over $10 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets, including the upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, power & process, environment and infrastructure, clean energy, mining, nuclear, and general industrial sectors. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.