Baker Hughes Incorporated has an opening for a Research and Development Engineer - Applied Science
at our facility in Houston, TX. As a leader in the oilfield services industry, Baker Hughes offers opportunities for qualified people who want to grow in our high performance organization. Our leading technologies and our ability to apply them safely and effectively create value for our customers and our shareholders. Baker Hughes is an Equal Employment Affirmative Action Employer.Essential Responsibilities:
- The position will be responsible for product development projects involving a number of new technical software tools intended to provide operational data interpretation & analytics.
- The successful candidate should have extensive experience developing mathematical models - both physics-based and purely data-driven.
- The successful candidate should be comfortable with coding, scripting, and debugging technical algorithms that use physics-based models, machine learning and other statistical techniques, numerical methods, and/or optimization routines.
- The candidate should be comfortable with the software development process - from the prototype stage through final release.
- The position will be responsible for system feature design based on application engineering requirements.
- Candidate should be comfortable providing support and guidance to field personnel for field trails and the deployment of prototype products and/or services. The position will require occasional customer site visits as well as field deployments for the purpose of data collection and prototype testing.
- Candidate will participate in the creation of new technical ideas and will be responsible for documenting new ideas and filing patents and writing/submitting papers to trade journals and professional organizations as required.
- Duties may also include physical experimentation.
- Candidates with a background in the design and implementation of physics-based technical software are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Master's degree in engineering or science and 5+ years of research engineering experience solving technical and scientific problems OR
- PhD in engineering or science and 2+ years of years of research engineering experience solving technical and scientific problems
- 3 - 5+ years of experience designing and implementing scientific code and/or technical software.
- Experience with Python & Matlab
- The ability to plan and work towards milestones independently is required in this position.
- The successful candidate must demonstrate technical innovation, problem solving skills, and independent initiative, and will display a general proficiency in describing complex systems to a wide audience.
- Will require strong analytical skills, effective verbal and written communication skills, customer focus, and an ability to function well in a highly dynamic, team-oriented environment.
- PhD Preferred
- Preferred degree in applied mathematics, physics, computer science, or electrical engineering.
- Experience with distributed fiber sensing technologies and systems, especially and experience with such technologies used in the oil and gas industry.
- Candidates with experience developing and/or using codes to numerically solve fluid & heat transport problems are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Experience with reservoir simulation or modeling.
Houston, TX 77040
This is your opportunity to learn more, do more, live the career you have imagined and be part of a truly diverse organization.
Baker Hughes, a GE company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law. Learn more