The Refinery Process Operator is responsible for monitoring, controlling and conducting activities that pertain to unit operation and taking corrective action when necessary to ensure that all unit conditions and operations are in compliance with Shell safety, environmental and operating policies and procedures.
Typical duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
Note: Shell announced on June 11th that it has reached an agreement for the sale of the Martinez Refinery to the PBF Holding Company, LLC, a subsidiary of PBF Energy, Inc., for $1 billion. The sale is expected to close, pending regulatory approval, in the next several months. Anyone hired to the Martinez Refinery will become an employee of PBF Holding Company, LLC once the sale is complete.Company Description
- Ensuring strict compliance with Shell's safety policies and procedures, taking immediate corrective action in the event a potential issue or unsafe behavior is observed
- Ensure proper turn-over by providing effective written and oral communications to the relieving shift and technician that cover routine and non-routine issues, problems faced, unit operating conditions, etc.
- Monitoring and accurately recording temperatures, pressures, and rates of flow
- Maintain good communications with other team members and with other facility teams (utilities, logistics, etc.)
- Actively participate in the development and performance of assigned group tasks
- Perform required unit production quality control checks and analysis
- Ensure that operations are within environmental permitting requirements
- Perform required preventative maintenance and assist in troubleshooting potential issues and give assistance to others when unit problems occur
- Making sure to document efforts in accordance with policies and procedures
- Communicate with engineers, maintenance technicians, and other team members to assist in identifying maintenance issues and planning and scheduling maintenance activities
- Properly use personal computers for meeting daily performance expectations and accessing plant and unit information and procedures
- Actively assume personal accountability for meeting Shell's standards of continuous personal and professional development
- Participate in training and respond to emergency situations as required
- Actively complying with all operating policies and procedures
- Ensuring that work stations and the work location is clean and free of hazards
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemicals companies with over 90,000 employees in more than 70 countries and territories. In the US, we have operated for over a century and are a major oil and gas producer onshore and in the Gulf of Mexico, a recognized innovator in exploration and production technology, and a leading manufacturer and marketer of fuels, natural gas and petrochemicals. We deliver energy responsibly; operate safely with respect to our neighbours and work to minimize our environmental impact. We are in search of remarkable people who will thrive in a diverse and inclusive work environment to deliver exciting projects locally and globally. People who are passionate about exploring new frontiers. Innovators and pioneers. People with the drive to help shape our future. Because remarkable people achieve remarkable things.Requirements
- Must be authorized to work in the United States on a permanent basis without the requirement of a work visa
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Must have a current, valid driver's license
- Must have the minimum of a high school diploma or equivalent
- Must be able to read, write or speak English
- Willing to work outside in inclement weather with or without accommodation
- Willing to work in compact and confined spaces with or without accommodation
- Willing to climb ladders, walk up and down steps, and work at heights with or without accommodation
- Willing to respond to emergencies as part of the Fire Response Team with or without accommodation, which includes using safe techniques to use rescue and fire suppression equipment (e.g. ladders, hoses, etc.), don full-body Fire Retardant gear, and use a Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA).
- To attend to emergencies, successful candidates must reside within 60 minutes of the site, or be willing to relocate to within 60 minutes of the site without relocation assistance
- Willing to work a rotating shift work schedule
- Willing to work overtime, holidays, nights, and weekends
- Willing to be on call and meet call-out standards to respond to site responsibilities and emergencies
- Must currently hold or be able to qualify to receive a Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) card. Note, information regarding TWIC qualification standards may be found at https://www.tsa.gov/for-industry/twic
- As a part of the pre-employment selection process, candidates are required to submit to and receive satisfactory results from all pre-employment background, drug, medical, and reference checks, including hair and oral fluid drug testing.
- Willing to support the company's drug-free work environment, which will include random drug screenings
- Willing to support and comply with the company's harassment-free work environment policy
- Willing to support and comply with the company's safety policies and initiatives
- Willing to support and comply with the company's diversity and inclusion work environment policies
- As a part of the pre-employment selection process candidates are required to take and meet the standard score formulated for success through an online assessment
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date.
Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world.
The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand.
Shell participates in E-Verify.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, citizenship, genetic information or other protected status under federal, state or local laws.
Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability.