Experience: 5 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Lafayette, Louisiana, United States
No location/work authorization restrictions found.
Oceaneering is a global provider of engineered services and products, primarily to the offshore energy industry. We develop products and services for use throughout the lifecycle of an offshore oilfield, from drilling to decommissioning. We operate the world's premier fleet of work class ROVs. Additionally, we are a leader in offshore oilfield maintenance services, umbilicals, subsea hardware, and tooling. We also use applied technology expertise to serve the defense, entertainment, material handling, aerospace, science, and renewable energy industries.
Geoscientist primary duty will be to perform integrated engineering and geological investigations by combining geophysical, geological, and geotechnical data to develop a detailed understanding of site conditions as they relate to subsea engineering issues associated with offshore energy development.
Duties & Responsibilities
- For onshore work and during geophysical survey operations, perform offshore side-scan sonar (SSS), subbottom profiler (SBP), multi-beam echo sounder (MBES) (including backscatter and water column data), and 2D/3D high-resolution seismic data QC and interpretation.
- Present detailed Geohazard Assessment Report on interpreations for clients in the telecommunications, education, and energy sectors.
- Coordinate and work with other industry proffessionals (Geoscientists, Engineers, Archaeologisist, etc...) during the life of a project.
- Able to work on strict reporting timelines and deadlines.
- Work offshore (up to approximately 40%) on Oceaneering geophysical and geotechnical vessels for periods between 2 to 6 weeks, on both regional and international projects.
- Work within a team environment collecting high-resolution geophysical and geotechnical data, seabed soil and rock samples and performing in situ testing using standard and novel marine coring and penetration tools.
- During geotechnical operations, perform offshore core logging to classify seabed soil and rock samples, perform basic index and strength testing on collected samples, and package and store offshore samples for transport to onshore laboratory testing facility.
- Perform quality assurance checks on all offshore geophysical data, geotechnical testing, and data processing, interpretation and reporting.
- Understanding of AUV technical operations
- All other duties assigned
- This position has no direct reports
- Geoscience Manager
- Geoscience Reporting Supervisor - (Direct Manager)
- 4 year Undergraduate Degree in Geology, Geosciences, Geophysics, or a related field.
- 5 plus+ years relevant work experience in the field of Geohazard Interpretation.
- Good writing, speaking, and interpersonnal skills.
- Ability to work long hours (12-hour shifts) in the field, sometimes under preassure, and always within deadlines.
- Must have valid driver's license and suitable driving record that is able to meet company driver requirements.
- 4 year Master's Degree in in Geology, Geosciences, Geophysics, or a related field.
- 10 plus+ years relevant work experience in the field of Geohazard Interpretation.
- Familiarity or proficiency with software packages SMT Kingdom, SonarWiz, QPS Fledermaus, GlobalMapper, and ArcGIS is highly desirable.
- Current security clearance or ability to obtain security clearance.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Other Characteristics
Team Leadership/ Decision Making/ Planning and Organizing/ Developing Others:
- Expresses pride in the group and encourages people to feel good about their accomplishments
- Shares knowledge and resources and encourages the same of others
- Ability to make objective decisions timely and effectively
- Skill to recognize when decisions or information should be referred to a higher authority
- Ability to establish and maintain project priorities
- Ability to plan, organize and direct the work of others
- Ability to conduct training for an appropriate audience
Health and Safety/ Technology/ Stress Management/ Flexibility:
- Knowledge of methods and techniques used in safety inspections and accident prevention
- Knowledge of principles, practices and methods of safety and health as it relates to employees and the public
- Skill to work effectively under pressure
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities and work environments as well as adverse conditions such as weather, equipment problems and job conditions
- Have a good sense of direction (able to self-navigate)
- Be able to perform basic field calculations
- Ability to use various information technology systems required for successful job performance
- Ability to determine and meet customer needs
- Ability to promote and be accountable for quality customer service
- Respond to clients in a positive and truthful manner
- Solves customer problems quickly and effectively
- Ensures that regular and consistent communication takes place within area of responsibility
- Maintain inter-office and project confidentiality
- Respond politely to members of the community
- Working as a team member/ getting along with co-workers
- Responding in a positive manner to supervision
This position is considered ONSHORE with some OFFSHORE work which is characterized as follows.
- Outdoors and indoors, day and night, as well as over/near water.
- Requires working on or near moving and vibrating equipment.
- Frequently the humidity is above 90%, noise is over 85db and the light is intense/glare.
- Potential exposure to open fire/flames/sparks.
- Constant exposure to airborne dust, fumes and gases.
- Work surface is stable, height is elevated.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position is considered HEAVY work.
- Lift 50-100 pounds
- Sit, twist, crawl, climb stairs/ ladders, and use repetitive movements of the arms and hands.
- Operate small water vessel or ATV
- Lift 25-50 pounds
- Wear PPE for head, hands
Balance, stoop, kneel, squat, crouch, reach with hands and arms, and lift/carry objects, handle or feel.
- Differentiate between colors
Operate a motor vehicle
- Lift 10-20 pounds
Standing and walking
- Wear PPE for body, vision, and hearing protection
- Close vision ability and ability to adjust focus
- Hearing all ranges
- Wear steel toed shoes/ boots
Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified candidates will receive consideration for all positions without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or other non-merit factors.
Oceaneering pushes the frontiers of deep water, space and motion entertainment environments to execute with new, leading-edge connections to solve tomorrow’s challenges, today.
As the trusted subsea connection specialist, our experience combined with the depth and breadth of our portfolio of technologies allows us to engineer solutions for the most complex subsea challenges. From routine to extreme, our integrated products, services, and innovative solutions safely de-risk operational systems, increase reliability, and enable a lower total cost of ownership.
We are connecting what’s needed with what’s next as the world’s largest ROV operator and the leading ROV provider to the oil and gas industry with over 300 systems operating worldwide. With our safety-focused and innovative approach, we responsively and decisively react to subsea challenges while providing solutions swiftly and efficiently.