Skills: IT - Software Development
Experience: 5 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Hanover, Maryland, United States
No location/work authorization restrictions found.
Oceaneering knows robotics. From operating the world's largest ROV fleet conducting mission-critical operations deep under the oceans, to deploying cutting-edge autonomous vehicles in theme park rides and automotive operations, we know a thing or two about applying robotics technologies and solid cross-disciplinary engineering to help our clients bring automation to some of the harshest, dangerous, and most demanding environments.
Oceaneering Advanced Technologies' Mobile Robotics Innovation Lab (MRIL) is the latest initiative to continue growing Oceaneering's pioneering robotics heritage and portfolio in an ever-exciting time for autonomous systems and AI. Our group investigates and develops new markets, products, technologies and business models in order to drive long-term growth for our lines of business. We work hard to continue being a leader in mobile robotics solutions for customers' mission-critical needs, working with like-minded partners and taking risks in delivering new and innovative solutions that push the industry and push ourselves.
For more information please visit www.oceaneering.com .
As a Senior Robotics Software Engineer, you'll be a founding member of the lab's core team and will play a critical role in the success of prototyping and testing new product and service offerings for our commercial business units in material handling automation and in people mover applications. This is your chance to be a part of something big, with a mission focus and pace of a startup along with the stability and resources of a large company backing you up.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Applies breadth and depth of knowledge of modern software development, mobile robotics, and embedded systems to rapidly and iteratively prototype cutting-edge software and mechatronic products and services toward finding product-market fit.
- Leads effective engagement with technical and non-technical customers and partners to generate feedback for product improvements from targeted experiments, pilots and proof-of-concepts.
- Interprets and decomposes customer feedback and testing data into actionable technical requirements that may bridge disciplines, and coordinate with technical personnel from across the company and around the world.
- Conducts evaluations and comparisons of internal and external technologies and approaches to inform business and product decisions.
- Stays abreast of industry, technology and competitor trends and creatively applies out-of-the-box thinking in innovation projects.
- Identifies patent opportunities and works with our legal team to evaluate them.
- Mentors junior team members and promotes a culture of learning and collaboration.
- BS in Computer Science, Engineering, Mechatronics or similar.
- 5+ years professional software development experience involving embedded or mechatronic hardware, preferably a mobile robot, in a collaborative, multidisciplinary team using Agile.
- Demonstrates entrepreneurship or new product development experience, such as former technology startup founder or early employee; or experience working in a new product development group.
- Self-starter and entrepreneurial mindset with a passion for robotics and automation solutions that solve real customer problems.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Proficient with modern C++, object-oriented programming, design patterns, sound software development practices, and continuous integration / continuous development.
- Strong understanding of robotics subsystems and their interaction, to include perception, controls, planning, actuation, and power management.
- Proficient with the Linux operating system.
- Familiar with Python, C, and/or Bash.
- Demonstrates experience with embedded systems such as embedded Linux platforms and bare metal microcontrollers.
- Understands of applicable communication protocols such as CAN, Ethernet, RS232.
- Comfortable with using electronic lab test equipment to troubleshoot systems.
- Familiar with lean startup methodology and voice of customer research.
- Familiar with Design Thinking.
- Able and eager to quickly learn new skills and technologies in a fast-paced environment.
- Industry experience in one or more of: autonomous vehicles, industrial robotics, AGVs/AMRs, defense/aerospace, automotive, consumer technology or federal research labs.
- Demonstrates experience with one or more of the following technical areas: autonomous navigation and localization algorithms, perception, computer vision, sensor fusion, motion control, safety-critical systems, hardware-in-the-loop testing, machine learning and deep learning, IoT device management and data analytics, Industry 4.0.
- Familiar with various global safety standards affecting automated and industrial systems.
- Position will be based in Hanover, MD.
- Travel requirements for customer site visits and product testing up to 25%.
- Off-site testing could include extended periods in outdoor environments with some exposure to the elements.
Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified candidates will receive consideration for all positions without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or other non-merit factors.
Oceaneering pushes the frontiers of deep water, space and motion entertainment environments to execute with new, leading-edge connections to solve tomorrow’s challenges, today.
As the trusted subsea connection specialist, our experience combined with the depth and breadth of our portfolio of technologies allows us to engineer solutions for the most complex subsea challenges. From routine to extreme, our integrated products, services, and innovative solutions safely de-risk operational systems, increase reliability, and enable a lower total cost of ownership.
We are connecting what’s needed with what’s next as the world’s largest ROV operator and the leading ROV provider to the oil and gas industry with over 300 systems operating worldwide. With our safety-focused and innovative approach, we responsively and decisively react to subsea challenges while providing solutions swiftly and efficiently.