Skills: IT - Software Development, Technical Manager
Experience: 5 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Hanover, Maryland, United States
No location/work authorization restrictions found.
Oceaneering knows robotics. From operating the world's largest ROV fleet conducting mission-critical operations deep under the oceans, to deploying cutting-edge autonomous vehicles in theme park rides and automotive operations, we know a thing or two about applying robotics technologies and solid cross-disciplinary engineering to help our clients bring automation to some of the harshest, dangerous, and most demanding environments.
Oceaneering Advanced Technologies' Mobile Robotics Innovation Lab (MRIL) is the latest initiative to continue growing Oceaneering's pioneering robotics heritage and portfolio in an ever-exciting time for autonomous systems and AI. Our group investigates and develops new markets, products, technologies and business models in order to drive long-term growth for our lines of business. We work hard to continue being a leader in mobile robotics solutions for customers' mission-critical needs, working with like-minded partners and taking risks in delivering new and innovative solutions that push the industry and push ourselves.
For more information please go to www.oceaneering.com
As a Senior Systems Engineer, you'll be a founding member of the Lab's core team and play a critical role in the success of prototyping and testing new product and service offerings for our commercial business units in material handling automation, and in people mover applications, among others. The Systems Engineer is responsible for conducting hazard analysis, Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (FMEAs), and requirements and standards compliance. Here's your chance to be a part of something big, with the mission focus and pace of a startup, and the stability and resources of a large company backing you up.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Lead overall system design of prototypes in an iterative, Agile environment
- Ensure designs, subsystem development, prototypes and testing are consistent with applicable Oceaneering and industry standards
- Lead and execute hazard analyses and FMEAs as required during system development and testing
- Serve as MRIL's system safety and standards subject matter expert and interface with Oceaneering safety teams and working groups
- Draft requirements, requisitions, and statements of work for external vendor and partnership activities
- Lead development of test plans and experiments to effectively and efficiently assess prototype functionality and performance toward product-market fit
- Lead effective engagement with technical and non-technical customers and partners to generate feedback for product improvements from targeted experiments, pilots and proof-of-concepts.
- Interpret and decompose customer feedback and testing data into actionable technical requirements that may bridge disciplines, and coordinate with technical personnel from across the company and around the world.
- Stay abreast of industry, technology and competitor trends and creatively apply out-of-the-box thinking in innovation projects.
- Conduct evaluations and comparisons of internal and external technologies and approaches to inform business and product decisions
- Interface with business unit engineering teams to facilitate smooth transitions toward product launches
- Identify patent opportunities and work with our legal team to evaluate them
- Mentor junior team members and promote a culture of learning and collaboration
- This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
- BS in Systems Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechatronics, Robotics or similar
- 5+ years engineering experience in a collaborative, multidisciplinary team
- Demonstrable entrepreneurship or new product development experience, such as former technology startup founder or early employee; or experience working in a new product development group
- Self-starter and intrapreneurial mindset with a passion for robotics and automation solutions that solve real customer problems
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Experience developing FMEAs and Hazard Analysis; familiarity with various current and emerging industry standards affecting automated robotic systems (ASTM, ISO, UL, etc.) is a plus
- Experience with comparing and sourcing mechanical, electrical and mechatronic parts based on cross-disciplinary requirements
- Experience with SolidWorks, Auto CAD or similar mechanical CAD drafting package
- Familiar and comfortable with the Linux operating system
- Familiar with at least one programming language
- Industry experience from one or more of: autonomous vehicles, industrial robotics, defense/aerospace, automotive, consumer technology, Federal research labs
- Familiar with lean startup methodology and voice of customer research
- Familiar with Design Thinking
- Able and eager to quickly learn new skills and technologies in a fast-paced environment
- MS or ME (or pursuing) in Systems Engineering or Reliability Engineering
- Previous experience developing and delivering a new safety-critical product based on mobile robots
- Experience developing and certifying systems for functional safety
- Understanding of battery technologies, power systems and/or PCB design a plus
- Modeling and simulation experience
- Familiar with Industry 4.0, AGV, AMR technologies and trends
- Professional software engineering experience a plus
- Position will be based in Hanover, MD
- Travel requirements for customer site visits and product testing up to 25%.
- Off-site testing could include extended periods in outdoor environments with some exposure to the elements.
Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified candidates will receive consideration for all positions without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or other non-merit factors.
Oceaneering pushes the frontiers of deep water, space and motion entertainment environments to execute with new, leading-edge connections to solve tomorrow’s challenges, today.
As the trusted subsea connection specialist, our experience combined with the depth and breadth of our portfolio of technologies allows us to engineer solutions for the most complex subsea challenges. From routine to extreme, our integrated products, services, and innovative solutions safely de-risk operational systems, increase reliability, and enable a lower total cost of ownership.
We are connecting what’s needed with what’s next as the world’s largest ROV operator and the leading ROV provider to the oil and gas industry with over 300 systems operating worldwide. With our safety-focused and innovative approach, we responsively and decisively react to subsea challenges while providing solutions swiftly and efficiently.