Skills: Installation Engineer
Experience: 5 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Houston, Texas, United States
No location/work authorization restrictions found.
Oceaneering is a global provider of engineered services and products, primarily to the offshore energy industry. We develop products and services for use throughout the lifecycle of an offshore oilfield, from drilling to decommissioning. We operate the world's premier fleet of work class ROVs. Additionally, we are a leader in offshore oilfield maintenance services, umbilicals, subsea hardware, and tooling. We also use applied technology expertise to serve the defense, entertainment, material handling, aerospace, science, and renewable energy industries.
The Installation Engineer will be part of a team for Houston based engineering activities in support of projects performed with Oceaneering's Subsea Projects Group (SPG) installation vessels. The Installation Engineer is responsible for supporting detailed technical aspects for projects that will be executed predominately in the Gulf of Mexico. Typical work scopes will include but not be limited to installations, light construction, diving, well or flowline remediation/intervention and inspection, maintenance and repair (IMR) work scopes. Engineering planning will be conducted from Houston based office with offshore support of the project offshore onboard installation vessel as required. The Installation Engineer responsibilities will include technical evaluations, writing detailed technical reports, conceptual engineering, in depth analysis and verification thru engineering calculations. The Installation Engineer will report to the Engineering Manager.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Responsible for detailed technical engineering in support of projects executed with offshore installation vessels at the direction of Project Engineer and Engineering Manager.
- Project types will include Inspection Maintenance & Repair (IMR), installations of subsea assets, Subsea Umbilical Riser Flowline (SURF) and flowline remediation/intervention.
- Prepares design changes, specifications, schematics, and test plans for installation equipment and subsea hardware. This may include locating equipment and vendor selection.
- Conducts engineering calculations and analysis.
- Calculations will include hand calculations and/or engineering calculation software.
- Analysis will include both beam element and dynamic motion analysis.
- Designs complicated rigging for offshore/subsea lifts in compliance with Oceaneering policy, industry standards and client requirements.
- Designs project specific seafastening, both simple and complex, and verifies thru calculation.
- Performs in depth beam element analysis for design of offshore equipment.
- Performs in depth dynamic analysis of offshore/subsea operations.
- Applies where applicable, common industry codes such as ASME, AISC, DNV, API and AWS.
- Creates or reviews product designs, conducts and attends Factory Acceptance Tests (FAT), and System Integration Tests (SIT).
- Authors Basis of Design, Basis of Analysis, and Technical Analysis report documents for equipment designed by SPG and analysis performed by SPG.
- Interfaces with Document Control, Design Analysts, and Designers/Drafters during the course of project work.
- Interfaces inside and outside a meeting setting with project team members and clients.
- Performs non-engineering activities such as oversight of offshore operations and on-site oversight of SPG projects and subcontractors.
- Ability to work onshore and offshore, predominately in the Gulf of Mexico.
- Bachelor's degree in mechanical, structural, civil or ocean engineering.
- 5+ years of engineering experience.
- Knowledge of classical analytical methods: MathCAD, AutoCAD, Solidworks, Orcaflex, and structural analysis packages such as ANSYS or Risa3D.
- Valid driver's license.
- Valid passport.
- Must be able to obtain:
- Transportation Workers Identification Card (TWIC).
- Petroleum Education Council (PEC) Basic Training.
- Basic Offshore Safety Induction and Emergency Training (BOSIET).
- Previous experience working with major oil & gas operators.
- Experience in installation of subsea hardware and umbilical/flowline.
- Practical experience with dynamic analysis program Orcaflex.
- Experience with conflict resolution and change management.
- MS Office including MS Project software.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Other Characteristics
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as algebra, trigonometry, analytical geometry, calculus, probability, and statistics.
- Ability to apply these concepts to engineering applications including but not limited to: statics, dynamics, solid mechanics, strength of materials, fluid dynamics, thermodynamics, structural design, mechanical design, and electrical design.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Ensures that important information from management is shared with employees and others as appropriate.
- Ability to give and receive constructive feedback.
- Ensures that others involved in a project or effort are kept informed about developments and plans.
- Ensures that regular consistent communication takes place within area of responsibility.
This position is considered 80% OFFICE WORK which is characterized as follows:
- Almost exclusively indoors during the day and occasionally at night.
- Occasional exposure to airborne dust in the work place.
- Work surface is stable (flat).
This position is considered 20% OFFSHORE WORK which is characterized as follows:
- Outdoors and indoors, day and night, as well as over/near water.
- Requires working on or near moving equipment and vibrating equipment.
- Frequently the humidity is above 90%, noise is over 85 decibels and the light is intense/glare.
- Potential exposure to open fire/flames/sparks.
- Constant exposure to airborne dust, fumes, and gases.
- Work surface is stable, height is elevated.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position is considered LIGHT work.
- Lifts up to 20 pounds.
- Climbs, stoops, kneels, squats, and reaches.
- Lifts up to 10 pounds.
- Repetitive movements of arms and hands.
- Sits with back supported.
Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified candidates will receive consideration for all positions without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or other non-merit factors.
Oceaneering pushes the frontiers of deep water, space and motion entertainment environments to execute with new, leading-edge connections to solve tomorrow’s challenges, today.
As the trusted subsea connection specialist, our experience combined with the depth and breadth of our portfolio of technologies allows us to engineer solutions for the most complex subsea challenges. From routine to extreme, our integrated products, services, and innovative solutions safely de-risk operational systems, increase reliability, and enable a lower total cost of ownership.
We are connecting what’s needed with what’s next as the world’s largest ROV operator and the leading ROV provider to the oil and gas industry with over 300 systems operating worldwide. With our safety-focused and innovative approach, we responsively and decisively react to subsea challenges while providing solutions swiftly and efficiently.