Skills: Project Engineer
Experience: 7 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Houston, Texas, United States
No location/work authorization restrictions found.
Oceaneering is a global provider of engineered services and products, primarily to the offshore energy industry. We develop products and services for use throughout the lifecycle of an offshore oilfield, from drilling to decommissioning. We operate the world's premier fleet of work class ROVs. Additionally, we are a leader in offshore oilfield maintenance services, umbilicals, subsea hardware, and tooling. We also use applied technology expertise to serve the defense, entertainment, material handling, aerospace, science, and renewable energy industries.
The Project Engineer will lead a team of for Houston based engineering activities in support of projects performed with Oceaneering's Subsea Projects Group (SPG) installation vessels. The Project Engineer is responsible for directing task of the engineering team for supporting detailed technical aspects for projects that will be executed predominately in the Gulf of Mexico. Typical work scopes will include but not be limited to installations, light construction, diving and inspection, maintenance and repair (IMR) work scopes. Engineering planning will be conducted from Houston based office with offshore support of the project offshore onboard installation vessel as required. The Project Engineer responsibilities will include technical evaluations, writing/reviewing detailed technical reports and procedures, conceptual engineering, and oversight of work performed by Installation Engineers. The Project Engineer will report to the Engineering Manager.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Responsible for ensuring that engineering completed by the team of Installation Engineers is completed in accordance with Oceaneering policy and process with a focus on personnel safety and safety for the environment
- Responsible for ensuring that engineering completed by the team of Installation Engineers is completed in accordance with Client requirements
- Responsible for ensuring accuracy of detailed technical engineering completed by the team of Installation Engineers in support of projects executed with offshore installation vessels.
- Projects types will include Inspection Maintenance & Repair (IMR), Installations of subsea assets and Subsea Umbilical Riser Flowline (SURF)
- Perform and direct others in the proper methods of structural and mechanical design and analysis for
- Rigid pipeline and flexible product installation
- Rigid steel structures
- Create or review installation procedures and specifications for compliance with engineering principles, applicable standards, and Client requirements.
- Prepares or reviews design changes, specifications, schematics, and test plans for installation equipment and subsea hardware. This may include locating equipment and assisting with vendor selection.
- Review engineering calculations and analysis.
- Apply where applicable common industry codes such as ASME, AISC, DNV, API and AWS.
- Create or review product designs, conducts and attends Factory Acceptance Tests (FAT) and System Integration Tests (SIT).
- Create and review Basis of Design, Basis of Analysis, Technical Analysis report documents for equipment designed by SPG and analysis performed by SPG.
- Prepare presentations, articles, and technical papers.
- Interface with Document Control, Design Analyst and Design/Drafters during the course of project work
- Interface inside and outside a meeting setting with project team members and Clients.
- Perform non-engineering activities such as oversight of offshore operations and on-site oversight of SPG projects and subcontractors.
- Develop and maintain project deliverable schedule by studying project plan and specifications; calculating time requirements; sequencing project deliverables.
- Ability to work onshore and offshore, predominately in the Gulf Mexico.
- Ability to interpret Client work scope and translate into Engineering activities to produce design, analysis, calculations and Engineering deliverables.
- Transforms Client concepts and information into images and uses feedback to modify designs.
- Develop strategies to achieve organization strategic goals and adapt strategies to changing conditions.
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering (Mechanical, Civil or Ocean Engineering)
- Min seven (7) years engineering experience.
- Knowledge of classical analytical methods, MathCAD; AutoCAD; Solidworks; Orcaflex; structural analysis package such as ANSYS or Risa3D.
- Valid driver's license
- Valid passport
- Must be able to obtain:
- Transportation Workers Identification Card (TWIC)
- Petroleum Education Council (PEC) Basic Training
- Basic Offshore Safety Induction and Emergency Training (BOSIET)
- Experience in installation of subsea hardware and umbilical/flowline
- Experience with conflict resolution and change management
- MS Office.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Other Characteristics
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as algebra, trigonometry, analytical geometry, calculus, probability, and statistics.
- Ability to apply these concepts to engineering applications including but not limited to: statics, dynamics, solid mechanics, strength of materials, fluid dynamics, thermodynamics, structural design, mechanical design, and electrical design.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Ensures that important information from management is shared with employees and others as appropriate.
- Gives and receives constructive feedback.
- Ensures that others involved in a project or effort are kept informed about developments and plans.
- Ensures that regular consistent communication takes place within area of responsibility.
- This position is considered 80% OFFICE WORK which is characterized as follows.
- Almost exclusively indoors during the day and occasionally at night
- Occasional exposure to airborne dust in the work place
- Work surface is stable (flat)
This position is considered 20% OFFSHORE WORK which is characterized as follows.
- Outdoors and indoors, day and night, as well as over/near water.
- Requires working on or near moving equipment and vibrating equipment.
- Frequently the humidity is above 90%, noise is over 85 decibels and the light is intense/glare.
- Potential exposure to open fire/flames/sparks.
- Constant exposure to airborne dust, fumes, and gases.
- Work surface is stable, height is elevated.
Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified candidates will receive consideration for all positions without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or other non-merit factors.
Oceaneering pushes the frontiers of deep water, space and motion entertainment environments to execute with new, leading-edge connections to solve tomorrow’s challenges, today.
As the trusted subsea connection specialist, our experience combined with the depth and breadth of our portfolio of technologies allows us to engineer solutions for the most complex subsea challenges. From routine to extreme, our integrated products, services, and innovative solutions safely de-risk operational systems, increase reliability, and enable a lower total cost of ownership.
We are connecting what’s needed with what’s next as the world’s largest ROV operator and the leading ROV provider to the oil and gas industry with over 300 systems operating worldwide. With our safety-focused and innovative approach, we responsively and decisively react to subsea challenges while providing solutions swiftly and efficiently.