Skills: Mechanical Engineering
Experience: 3 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Hanover, Maryland, United States
No location/work authorization restrictions found.
Oceaneering is a global provider of engineered services and products, primarily to the offshore energy industry. We develop products and services for use throughout the lifecycle of an offshore oilfield, from drilling to decommissioning. We operate the world's premier fleet of work class ROVs. Additionally, we are a leader in offshore oilfield maintenance services, umbilicals, subsea hardware, and tooling. We also use applied technology expertise to serve the defense, entertainment, material handling, aerospace, science, and renewable energy industries.
Oceaneering Technologies (OTECH) performs a wide range of engineering services and products for unique marine systems for military and commercial customers. OTECH innovates wherever practical rather than inventing making it "faster to field" than others in its industry; the typical development/delivery cycle for complex mechanical, hydraulic, electrical systems is often completed in 12-15 months. Technical capabilities span the entire engineering spectrum. These skills have been demonstrated in successfully delivered systems, including Remotely Operated Vehicles (ROVs); Autonomous Underwater Vehicles (AUVs); saturation diving systems; surface and sub-surface vehicle launch and recovery systems; advanced offshore cranes; and life support systems.
For more information please go to www.oceaneering.com and click on Products & Services, then click Oceaneering Technologies (OTECH).
The Senior Mechanical Engineer independently applies an advanced knowledge of engineering principles to the division's more challenging engineering and design activities, under the direction of a Staff Engineer or Project Manager. The Senior Mechanical Engineer provides direction to lower level personnel and technicians, and demonstrates independent operation. The Senior Mechanical Engineer interacts with all OTECH departments as necessary to provide technical support to OTECH manufacturing, integration, and test activities. The industrial equivalent of the Senior Mechanical Engineer is a Level 3.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Proficiency to independently perform engineering analysis, such as structural, dynamics, fluid mechanics, thermodynamics, materials, machine design, etc., using judgment in making adaptations and modifications.
- Coordinate the efforts of technicians, drafters, technical writers, and other engineers.
- Provide work leadership for lower level employees.
- Technically manage projects of small scope.
- Ensure that customer requirements are systematically converted into total system solutions.
- Develop and recommend design approaches for new or improved products or processes.
- Write test procedures, conduct tests, compile and evaluate test data, and complete required documentation.
- Prepare reports and present results to management and customer representatives.
- Assist in bid and proposal efforts by providing cost estimations, technical approach definitions, and input to baseline schedule data.
- Evaluate vendor capability to provide required products or services.
- Some domestic and international travel may be required, including shipboard operations.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical or Ocean Engineering, from an accredited institution.
- 3-5 years of practical technical experience in the engineering process, including concept development, analysis, design, drawing, integration and testing of complex mechanical and/or ocean deployed systems.
- Proficiency in the application of current engineering software (i.e. SolidWorks, Matlab, etc), and Microsoft Office.
- Able to apply an advanced knowledge of the principles, practices and procedures of mechanical engineering and an understanding of related engineering fields.
- Work closely with electrical, software, and systems engineers, as well as other cooperative disciplines, to solve problems and constructively architect a working system.
- Supervise/mentor junior engineers or technicians, when necessary.
- Responsible and accountable for your results, working with considerable autonomy, but also knowing when to ask for assistance.
- Ability to obtain a United States Government Department of Defense Security Clearance (active clearances preferred, but not prerequisite)
- Desire to stretch and expand your talents, expertise, competency, and responsibilities.
- Advanced degree in Mechanical Engineering, Ocean Engineering or a related field, from an accredited institution.
- Exercise excellent technical judgement, creativity, and initiative with attention to detail consistently throughout your work product, with awareness of the "system" perspective.
- Good communication, organizational and technical writing skills, including ability to effectively document, convey, and present engineering concepts and products to team members and customers.
- Knowledge and/or experience in the marine industry and associated technologies.
- Hands-on abilities for assembling mechanical components.
- Professional Engineer (PE) certification.
Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified candidates will receive consideration for all positions without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or other non-merit factors.
Oceaneering pushes the frontiers of deep water, space and motion entertainment environments to execute with new, leading-edge connections to solve tomorrow’s challenges, today.
As the trusted subsea connection specialist, our experience combined with the depth and breadth of our portfolio of technologies allows us to engineer solutions for the most complex subsea challenges. From routine to extreme, our integrated products, services, and innovative solutions safely de-risk operational systems, increase reliability, and enable a lower total cost of ownership.
We are connecting what’s needed with what’s next as the world’s largest ROV operator and the leading ROV provider to the oil and gas industry with over 300 systems operating worldwide. With our safety-focused and innovative approach, we responsively and decisively react to subsea challenges while providing solutions swiftly and efficiently.