Houston, Texas, United States
Houston, Texas, United States
Skills: Business Development, Commercial Management, Energy / Commodity Trading
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Employment Type: Full Time Salaried Employee
Location: Houston, Texas, United States
No location/work authorization restrictions found.
This Economic Model Configurator (EMC) executes effective data management for the Regional Optimization Team and the statistical forecast for the Commercial Organization. The EMC is expected to proactively look into alternative data sources or other initiatives to improve the value of the statistical forecast to the planning process. The EMC will also align with EMCs from other regions to maintain consistency in data processes to ensure best-practices are shared and implemented for their respective region. Moreover, this role can be part of several improvement projects initiated by the MSC Excellence organization.
The EMC is responsible for managing & maintaining master and transactional data used in the optimization tool, including both demand and supply planning data. This role also needs to ensure integrity and consistency of data between the multiple data sources feeding the optimization tool. Also, this is a pivotal role to support the end-users in obtaining the right access within the planning tool and providing end-users with status updates around data uploads. The EMC is also expected to generate and review the 24-month statistical forecast for each PL in monthly buckets. These forecasts need to be stored in the correct way and in a timely fashion to ensure continuation of the demand planning process.
Other accountabilities include, but are not limited to:
- Ensure the appropriate data is interfaced from GSAP in a timely fashion and with the right quality;
- Ensure planning layers/modules are provided with up-to-date data;
- Ensure locally maintained data is current by making updates in alignment with the appropriate stakeholders in commercial (e.g. product managers) and supply (e.g. supply managers), reflecting the latest supply constraints and sourcing options;
- Ensure the planning cycle in the tool is initiated and followed in accordance with the S&OP calendar, executing the exchange of data between different modules in the tool at the right time
- Identify structural data issues & drive system improvements;
- Cleanse historical sales data (for outliers) to improve statistical forecasting in alignment with the appropriate stakeholders (namely product managers and supply managers);
- Update calculation level and parameters of statistical models used as to ensure the highest possible forecasting accuracy;
- Investigate alternative sources to improve the statistical forecast;
- Monitor and report on key planning KPIs to support planning activities and meetings;
- Ensure regional stakeholders have a basic understanding of the statistical forecasting and optimization process;
- Support the MSC Excellence organization with the wider improvement initiatives
- Drive disciplined execution ("BDIE") of all data-related activities to promote and ensure data integrity and cleanliness
- Liaise with other EMCs to leverage best practices and to learn from other regions.
The Economic Model Configurator (EMC) is part of the Regional Optimization Team and is responsible for keeping all data (master and transactional) and the data structure for the Chemicals Optimization Tool up-to-date. Activities include data integrity maintenance, checking the appropriate data is fed from the relevant data sources (mainly GSAP) and updating locally maintained data within the tool. Other activities include the application of the statistical forecast. In this position the candidate gets the opportunity to become the data expert for the optimization tool and connect to stakeholders across multiple functions in different Product Lines. Also, the EMC gets the chance to develop an understanding of sales processes and the physical supply chain across Chemicals. As a result, the EMC should show clear understanding of the processes around the creation and maintenance of master and transactional data, both in the optimization tool as well as GSAP (as the system of records). The position offers the candidate plenty of opportunity for growth and development within the Shell Chemicals framework.
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemical companies with about 84,000 employees across more than 70 countries. We aim to meet the world's growing need for more and cleaner energy solutions in ways that are economically, environmentally and socially responsible. We have expertise in exploration, production, refining and marketing of oil and natural gas, and the manufacturing and marketing of chemicals.
As a global energy company operating in a challenging world, we set high standards of performance and ethical behaviors. We are judged by how we act and how we live up to our core values of honesty, integrity and respect for people. Our Business Principles are based on these. They promote trust, openness, teamwork and professionalism, as well as pride in what we do and how we conduct business.
Building on our core values, we aspire to sustain a diverse and inclusive culture where everyone feels respected and valued, from our employees to our customers and partners. A diverse workforce and an inclusive work environment are vital to our success, leading to greater innovation and better energy solutions.
- Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer.
- B.Sc or M.Sc degree in science, engineering or technical education is required.
- Minimum five (5) operational relevant work experience (Chemicals or other Downstream or relevant business) is required, given complexity and business criticality of the role.
- Possess clear understanding of relevant data sources (i.e. GSAP, Emptoris) feeding the tool and the forecasting (i.e. sales orders).
- Excellent analytical capabilities and curious to understand and solve different types of (data and model related) questions.
- Comfortable and interested to deal with data and a natural eye for (data) details.
- Knowledge of the most common statistical forecasting methods.
- Able to communicate and explain the use of different data types and outcomes of statistical forecasting techniques to a broad range of stakeholders.
- Able to quickly develop a basic knowledge of key Product Lines, including their commercial and operational characteristics (e.g. firm vs soft demand).
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date.
Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world.
The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand.
Shell participates in E-Verify.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, citizenship, genetic information or other protected status under federal, state or local laws.
Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability.
Learn More about Shell: Watch their Life at Shell Video