Skills: Chemist, Laboratory Ops / Tech
Experience: 5 + Years
Education: High School/Secondary
Employment Type: Full Time Salaried Employee
Location: Lake Zurich, Illinois, United States
In order to apply for this position, applicants MUST meet the following criteria. If your resume does not match these criteria, you will not be able to apply for this position.
Bureau Veritas offers dynamic, exciting employment opportunities with an attractive salary/benefit package and an opportunity to play a vital role with a global organization. If you would enjoy working in a dynamic environment and are looking for an opportunity to become part of a stellar team of professionals, we invite you to apply online today.
Bureau Veritas is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and as such we recruit, hire, train, and promote persons in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, sexual orientation, genetics, status as a protected veteran, or any other non-job-related characteristics.
This position is responsible to ensure equal opportunity in employment in that all persons are treated equally and on the basis of merit, in decisions regarding selection, placement, promotions, training, work assignments, transfers and other personnel actions.
The Sr. Food Lab Manager (Chemist) is responsible for developing, implementing and performing laboratory tests to determine chemical characteristics of agricultural and food products. You would be responsible for providing regulatory and technical support to lab personnel and clients. Lead and develop staff, including responsibility for recruitment of new employees, setting objectives, evaluating performance and expectations, coaching and mentoring, working jointly with employees in the development of their career path, ensuring that adequate training is provided.
- Research and develop methods to characterize agricultural and food products for nutritional components and contaminants related to Food Safety.
- Implement new methods including ISO17025 validation requirements, writing SOPs and training of staff for routine performance.
- Participate in industry technical discussion to keep informed of upcoming technology improvements and changes in regulatory requirements.
- Perform lab analysis utilizing prescribed SOPs and official analysis methods.
- Work closely with laboratory management, sales and client services to prioritize development and validation needs to meet client and industry expectations.
- Provide technical and food safety information to internal and external clients.
- Perform routine quality control to ensure quality of work.
- Set up, adjust, maintain and operate laboratory equipment including calibration to specified technical requirements.
- Troubleshoot analysis and equipment when quality does not meet specifications.
- Assess and approve requests or recommend resource planning, e.g. need for additional staff or equipment.
- Approve lab supplies and equipment.
- Develop strategic plans with the objective of preparing the department for continued growth.
- Assess feasibility of Kaizen projects.
- Act as technical resource for Managers, Customer Service and staff.
- Upholds ethical standards at all times.
- Ensure production of high quality defensible data, safely and on time.
- Ensure deadlines and customer expectations are being met.
- Ensure that employees are following the SOPs and work to reduce non-conformances.
- Understand and enforce Bureau Veritas EHS Policy as well as the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
- Assist with testing as required.
- Overall management of the departmental functions, forecasting, budgeting, financial controls and approvals Food Chemistry Group in Lake Zurich, IL.
- Direct the optimization of human, equipment and financial resources and ensure that they are used appropriately.
- Assess and execute new processes and procedures that will streamline and increase the throughput of samples, Bureau Veritas market share, profile and profitability.
- Provide recommendations for capital expenditures required within the department.
- Evaluate and establish production of high quality defensible data, safely and on time.
- Ensure proposed or current methods meet current and future regulatory guidelines.
- Oversee maintenance of good working environment, employee engagement and ensure continuous improvement in productivity and efficiency.
- Primary leadership role in establishing and growing a Food Chemistry Laboratory.
Education, Competencies & Required Skills:
- Minimum B.S. degree with a concentration in Chemistry or Food Science or other relevant science area.
- 5+ years in a commercial food testing and/or an advanced degree.
- Knowledgeable in data reporting, technical requirements and general market drivers, LIMS and other applications.
- Excellent organization skills which includes the ability to execute several assignments simultaneously.
- Excellent analytical skills with the ability to make sound suggestions or recommendations.
- Ability to communicate effectively in both written and oral forms.
If you are an individual with a disability and you would like us to assist you with searching the Careers Page site for employment opportunities and/or assistance with completing your profile and application, please contact us at 1-888-357-7020 or email us with your request to USinfor@us.bureauveritas.com We are happy to assist you and encourage you to consider Bureau Veritas for your next great career opportunity!
If you would like additional information regarding Bureau Veritas' federal obligations in regards to equal employment opportunity, please click the link below:
Created in 1828, Bureau Veritas is a global leader in Testing, Inspection and Certification (TIC), delivering high quality services to help clients meet the growing challenges of quality, safety, environmental protection and social responsibility.
As a trusted partner, Bureau Veritas offers innovative solutions that go beyond simple compliance with regulations and standards, reducing risk, improving performance and promoting sustainable development.
Bureau Veritas core values include integrity and ethics, impartial counsel and validation, customer focus and safety at work.
Bureau Veritas is recognized and accredited by major national and international organizations.