Skills: Accounting, Financial Analyst
Education: High School/Secondary
Employment Type: Full Time Salaried Employee
Location: Cologne, Germany
No location/work authorization restrictions found.
Finance Advisors serve as the face of Finance for opportunities or challenges prioritised based on value and risk. They are responsible for the delivery of Finance capability required to support a set of clearly defined business outcomes across multiple activities/assets.
The Finance Advisor will for a variety of activities/opportunities assigned to them by the Pool (Finance) Manager based on Value/Risk (e.g. control frameworks concerns, performance management system issues, large investments, complex contracts) depending on the requirements, of the specific activity:
- Deliver the full suite of Finance support (including tax, treasury, accounting and structuring) autonomously and coordinate the involvement of CoEs above pre-agreed thresholds
- Independently ensure that a proper functioning control framework is in place and that risks are properly understood, reflected and managed
- Independently ensure value and risks are made transparent and understood in both decision making and in performance management
- Ensure a fit for purpose performance management system is in place
- In activities where Finance Operations and Business act together to deliver, lead/initiate structural improvement projects and leaves the accountability for delivery with the accountable people (the Finance Advisor is explicitly not acting as an ad hoc fixer to mitigate process performance issues)
- Brings new proposals of high value activities to the Pool Manager who decides on the resource allocation. For example (in initiating digitalisation projects and acting as a connector between Finance Operations and the business)
- Actively look for opportunities to reduce non value adding Finance activity ("demand management")
- Maximise use of Finance Operations in delivery of processes
Finance Advisors, as part of a pool supporting the business:
- Work on various opportunities across multiple activities/assets and are not dedicated to a specific activity, asset or business partner. The work they perform will change over time and be prioritised based on value and risk, and professional development.
- Will on specific projects/transactions work with business stakeholders to work as the voice of Finance to deliver as "One Finance" with the (CoE) and Finance Operations
- Acts across organisational boundaries as required in the specific activity (e.g. across Finance for an opportunity across all DS CoBs)
Finance Advisors will benefit from:
- Opportunity to contribute to the delivery of a or multiple business/function specific Finance agenda
- Broad opportunities for development as a result of pooled working, where there will be more variety and complexity in the experiences an Advisor will get over their job tenure
- Ability to apply Finance skills to a variety of business activities and gain better understanding of end to end value chains
- Enhanced peer learning opportunities (knowledge sharing) due to commonalities of activities performed by pool members. This will be more "pull" than "push"
- Developing the capability to quickly understand the value drivers, risks, dimensions, and business players a (new) parts of the business the pool supports
- Learning how and when to appropriately leverage Business Finance, Centre of Excellence and Finance Operations to effectively support the business/function, thereby developing an ability to take overall Finance accountability
At Shell Germany, our drive is to employ world-class individuals. We employ 4,200 people whose careers have benefited from our industry-leading career development programme and unrivaled inhouse access to local and global experts. We are active in many areas such as Gas, Gas Marketing, Manufacturing & Distribution of oil products, Petrochemicals as well as Research & Development. Shell in Germany is one of the biggest retailers of energy products and one of the largest refinery operators. Our extensive R&D facilities in Hamburg allow us to offer a broad range of expertise on Retail Fuels, Lubes, and Marine, Power and Engine Vehicle Technology. Shell began operations in Germany in 1902.
Finance Advisors demonstrate/have/develop:
- Expertise across the spectrum of Finance competences
- Ability to gain the confidence of various internal and external parties building on strong knowledge and understanding of the business drivers, value and risk
- Maturity and authority to decide when to involve CoEs and effectively play the independent Finance role
- Problem solving mindset with the courage to ensure professional financial rigor is applied to commercial decision-making process and risk management bringing analytics and insights to the table
- Project management skills and flexibility given the support across multiple activities/assets
- Ability to rapidly understand the specific business or function context for which activities in the pool concept are linked to
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date.
Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world.
The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand.
Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Learn More about Shell: Watch their Life at Shell Video