Experience: 2 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Employment Type: Full Time Salaried Employee
Location: Houston, Texas, United States
In order to apply for this position, applicants MUST meet the following criteria. If your resume does not match these criteria, you will not be able to apply for this position.
Transocean is focused on being the employer of choice for the drilling industry.
We are challenging ourselves every day to push the performance of the company through technological advances and passion for our work.
Assist in the preparation and review of the day-to-day operations of the team in charge of technical accounting areas including postemployment benefit plans, shares outstanding reconciliation and earnings per share. Responsible for accounting and reporting related to worldwide pensions and other post-retirement benefit plans. Prepare the reconciliation of shares outstanding to the transfer agent. Assist in the preparation of weighted average shares and earnings per share work papers, including spreadsheets inputs and system queries. Prepare schedules for internal and external reporting purposes, as assigned.
- Prepare and record pension expense journal entries as per the requirement of US GAAP accounting for a portfolio of worldwide pension and other post-retirement benefit plans.
- Prepare monthly rollforward for pension and other post-retirement benefit plans.
- On a quarterly and annual basis, prepare footnote disclosures related to postemployment benefit plans with attention to detail, organization and formatting. Ensure proper supporting schedules and referenced workpapers are prepared.
- Prepare the reconciliation of shares outstanding to the transfer agent.
- Assist in the calculation of company ranking based on total shareholder return as needed for executive performance-based pay.
- Prepare analysis of foreign currency exchange gain (loss) for internal reporting.
- Prepare analysis of assigned balance sheet accounts including, postemployment benefit plans, tax and equity accounts.
- Maintain and update, as necessary, documentation of processes for internal controls over financial reporting. Ensure key controls are performed in accordance with documented processes.
- Assist the Manager of Financial Reporting - Technical Accounting in conducting technical research and prepare analyses to support technical research, as requested.
- Provide assistance to the SEC Reporting team, as needed in the preparation of SEC-required reports and other external reporting supporting packages.
- Assist with special projects, as requested.
Education: Bachelor's degree with a major in Accounting or Finance; CPA or in active pursuit of CPA certification preferred.
Experience: A minimum of 2 years of professional experience with an emphasis on accounting. Exposure to accounting and preparation of footnote disclosure for postemployment benefit plans is a plus.
Skills: Ability to use spreadsheets, word processing, operating systems, database and communications software programs effectively. Exposure to general ledger accounting, in large multi-company organizations is a plus.
Special Requirements: Preparation of cross-referenced documentation in a well organized manner that reflects adequate attention to detail and meets department standards. Good oral and written communications skills; possess good organizational skills, a high level of integrity, ingenuity and initiative. Ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment and flexibility to work hours needed to meet deadlines and achieve objectives.
Ingenuity: Ability to work effectively with others. Recognize problems and offer solutions. Possess strong analytical skills with ability to interpret results. Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously while managing time effectively. Develop more efficient and effective ways of working with information and compiling reports.
Decision Making: Determine priority of assignments. Identify and solve problems effectively. Propose process improvements.
If you want to push yourself to great achievement, let Transocean develop your career.
No matter where in the world Transocean people are working, we are all pioneers at heart. We don’t shrink from challenges. They inspire us. Which is why we’ve been a company of firsts since our inception. Although we come from different countries, cultures and backgrounds, we’re united by our shared pursuit of excellence. We value the different perspectives represented throughout our organization, recognizing that our people are our most valuable asset.
In today’s competitive environment, when Transocean has asked our employees to embrace a performance culture that requires us to constantly seek improvement no matter how productive we are, our team has risen to the occasion. And in fact, they are changing the way we operate. If you are motivated by a work environment that consistently challenges you, one where you can have an impact that is felt on every rig and on the bottom lines of both Transocean and our customers, we encourage you to browse our available positions below and at www.deepwater.com/our-people
Transocean has received reports of unauthorized individuals falsely advertising or promising job opportunities and supporting their claims with forged documents. These individuals ask for money to cover processing fees, visas, work permits, etc. Transocean's hiring process does not include unsolicited offers of employment or require payment. We will only contact you if you have applied for employment through our website at: www.deepwater.com, or had contact with one of our local recruiting or field offices. We also have received reports of unauthorized solicitations of business or vendor quotes, which may request pricing and other commercial details. Please do not respond to any requests unless you can verify the origin of the request. Transocean communicates with its vendors using a vendor portal or direct communication with a designated Transocean representative known by vendors. Transocean will never ask you to send banking information by email. If you suspect fraud, we would encourage you to report such activity to your local police authorities.