Other Skills: Experience with SOX and/or external audits / College Degree/Diploma in Accounting and/or Finance (CA / ACCA / CPA / CIMA / CMA).
Experience: 5 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Employment Type: Full Time Salaried Employee
Location: Aberdeen, United Kingdom
In order to apply for this position, applicants MUST meet the following criteria. If your resume does not match these criteria, you will not be able to apply for this position.
Authorized to work in: United Kingdom
Our client has a great permanent opportunity for a qualified and experienced Senior Accountant - Internal Control to join their team based in Westhill, Aberdeen
The Senior Accountant, Internal Control will be a key member of the Internal Audit team responsible for leading the company's SOX (Sarbanes-Oxley) program. The scope of the role includes be part of implementing and improving our internal control framework, project management, training, testing, and reporting for the company's SOX compliance program. The objective of the SOX program is to support management's goal of having an effective control environment while balancing resource requirements to be cost efficient. The ideal candidate will be responsible for leading, managing, and developing the internal audit function. We are looking for an individual with excellent communication skills, with the ability to build and maintain strong relationships with business leaders across the organization to influence the overall programs. The ability to identify, prioritize and execute against key initiatives is a critical component of this role. In addition, the roll will require responsibility for various financial functions and information in relation to assigned legal entities.
- Support Corporate Controller with implementation and improvement of internal control framework
- Be part of managing and drive compliance over of Internal Controls over Financial Reporting (ICFR)
- Assess new processes, or changes to existing processes to identify financial and operational risks before launch, providing recommendations for improvement.
- Identify gaps in the internal controls design that could lead to financial reporting risk and correct design deficiencies.
- Propose and plan processes and systems that are in-scope and plan annual work assignments for the team through risk-based scoping approach.
- Coordinate with external auditors to gain efficiencies in the overall program.
- Partner with various teams to define and communicate methodology and determine process scoping, control objectives, testing approach, deficiency evaluation, and conclusion.
- The role will also involve ownership of multiple legal entities and will be the key point of contact for cost controllers responsible for rigs related to these legal entities
- Ensure compliance with statutory requirements for assigned legal entities including statutory financial statements, indirect tax filings and annual tax returns as appropriate
- External audit support both for assigned legal entities and group reporting
- Ensure financial records are maintained in compliance with accounting policies and procedures and reporting deadlines are met
- Provide support and information to other departments if requested/required to ensure correct input to the financial records (e.g. Supply Chain, HR, Operations)
- Assist with ad-hoc projects and other tasks within the finance structure subject to availability
- Understand company vision and apply the company values in all business activities
- Experience working with internal control design an operation within IT and Finance
- Detailed knowledge of COSO frameworks, US Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), and PCAOB requirements and trends.
- Experience with SOX and/or external audits at a big 4 firm with clients that are large publicly traded companies.
- A wealth of experience, preferably in similar role within the offshore related environment.
- Understanding of and experience with statutory reporting requirements
- Excellent English verbal and written communications skills
- Advanced MS Excel working knowledge
- ERP experience preferred
- Ability to take initiative and work on tasks independently or as part of a team
- Must hold a completed College Degree/Diploma in Accounting and/or Finance (CA / ACCA / CPA / CIMA / CMA).