Our Client is a leading Oil, Gas & Chemicals Operator with 2,000+ employees across the U.S. This fantastic opportunity will initially be offered on a contract basis and will then lead to a permanent staff role for the right individual. Based in our Client's downtown Houston offices. Position Overview
This role will lead our Client's technical accounting and derivatives accounting group. This role is key in reviewing hydrocarbon deals for accounting treatment, reviewing supply, trading, and logistics deals for lease accounting and other accounting implications, overseeing the month end derivatives close, interfacing with the Risk group on valuation issues, and providing both internal and external reporting related to derivatives. Responsibilities
- Review monthly closing activities for derivatives, including the approval of journal entries, reconciliations, and derivatives reporting and commentary.
- Prepare/review quarterly disclosures for derivatives and fair value under both IFRS and US GAAP.
- Adhere to corporate policies, IFRS, US GAAP and predefined SOX controls to ensure financials are accurate and complete.
- Ensure new transactions/business activities are properly accounted for and integrated in the accounting close process.
- Prepare whitepapers to document significant accounting conclusions.
- Update accounting policies as necessary to reflect changes to accounting rules and guidelines.
- Perform contract assessments, including writing any required whitepapers, within the supply, trading, and logistics business, including determining whether a contract contains a lease or whether a contract is a derivative.
Required Experience and Basic Qualifications
- Will need to have a good understanding of a variety of commodities in a variety of markets.
- Will be a subject matter specialist for accounting for trading activities and derivatives.
- Strong understanding of US GAAP and IFRS, with specific expertise in derivatives and fair value
- CPA or Qualified Chartered Accountant
- Highly flexible and able to work under tight deadlines
- Authorized to work in the United States
- Big 4 Experience preferred
- Relevant industry (refining and trading) preferred
- Experience with Hedge Accounting under IFRS or US GAAP is a bonus
- 10-15 years relevant experience
Established in 1978, NES Global Talent provides a complete range of contract and permanent talent solutions to the Oil and Gas, Power, Construction and Infrastructure, Life Sciences, Manufacturing and IT sectors worldwide. With more than 40 offices in 28 countries, we are able to provide our clients with the engineering and technical expertise they need, wherever and whenever it is needed. Offering far more than a traditional recruitment service, we fully support our contractors while they are on assignment with everything from securing visas and work permits, to providing market leading benefits packages and accommodation, ensuring they are safely and compliantly able to support our clients.