Baker Hughes, a GE company (NYSE:BHGE) is the world's first and only fullstream provider of integrated oilfield products, services and digital solutions. Drawing on a storied heritage of invention, BHGE harnesses the passion and experience of its people to enhance productivity across the oil and gas value chain.
BHGE helps its customers acquire, transport and refine hydrocarbons more efficiently, productively and safely, with a smaller environmental footprint and at lower cost per barrel. Backed by the digital industrial strength of GE, the company deploys minds, machines and the cloud to break down silos and reduce waste and risk, applying breakthroughs from other industries to advance its own.
People are a key part of our success and how we do business; hence, we invest in our 64,000+ employees in over 120 countries. Fostering a diverse and inclusive workforce is not just the right thing to do, but critical to achieving a competitive advantage.
This is your opportunity to learn more, do more, live the career you have imagined and be part of a truly diverse organization.
Baker Hughes, a GE company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law. Learn more
Follow Baker Hughes, a GE company on Twitter @BHGECo, or visit us at BHGE.com. Role Summary:
Reporting to the Head of Mechanical Design, the FPS IM Mechanical Designer is responsible for the design of mechanical components and systems that are an integral part of FPS IM integrity products. Support will be provided from the physics and electronics & software teams.
The scope of the role is diverse, and the Mechanical Designer will be required to produce designs for subsea automated flexible pipe inspection systems, subsea flexible pipe monitoring systems, electro-magnetic probes, packaging for electronics, test rigs and structures. The specifications for these items are often challenging, being required to operate first time and reliably in harsh environments that often include offshore (splash zone and subsea), hazardous hydrocarbon atmosphere and extreme ambient conditions. Frequently the specification is initially poorly defined, and its development is an important part of the role. The role involves working closely with the other FPS IM staff in the Electronics, Production, Physics, Sales & Marketing and Software functions as part of a multi-disciplinary team in a constantly evolving project-based environment with the opportunity for offshore working. Essential Responsibilities:
- Industrial design experience covering electro-mechanical drive systems, hydraulic systems, packaging of electronics and bespoke mechanisms.
- Production of detailed manufacturing drawings to BS 8888.
- Proficient with a 3D CAD package (preferably Inventor or SolidWorks) and able to demonstrate best practices to communicate design intent.
- Understanding of critical to quality (CTQ) component interfaces, limits, fits (BS 4500:2009) and production process limitations.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- An HND in Mechanical Engineering plus experience
- Promoting and maintaining a safe working environment.
- Experience working in dynamic project-based design environment.
- Offshore experience in the Oil & Gas industry.
- Material selection based on applied loads and environment.
- Development of specifications.
- Good analytical skills.
- Managing the handover of designs to production team (BOM's and released drawings).
- Design for harsh environment including subsea.
- Electrical harness design and connector selection.
- Experience of managing small scale technical projects.
- Chairing and documenting design reviews.
- Continuous improvement of design office procedures.
- Packaging of electronics hardware including thermal management.
Applications from job seekers who require sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. However, non-EU/EEA candidates may not be appointed to a post if a suitably qualified, experienced and skilled EU/EEA candidate is available to take up the post, as the employing body is unlikely, in these circumstances, to satisfy the Resident Labour Market Test. For further information please visit the UK Border Agency website