Skills: Modeling, Physicist
Location: Cambridge, England, United Kingdom
No location/work authorization restrictions found.
We are seeking a talented, creative materials modelling scientist to join our experimental team working on a variety of flow problems with complex fluids. Models developed will both enhance our understanding of complex flow problems in lab experiments and will feed into a software platform focused on development of downhole fluid/hydraulics simulators. There are a broad range of problems of immediate interest including the flow properties of thixotropic yield-stress drilling fluids and separately high solids content dispersions including cement placement and drilling fluid solids recovery. We are therefore looking for an individual who has strong skills in one or more methodologies: constitutive modelling (yield, elasticity, glassy rheology), CFD of particle transport, Finite element models.
- Conceives and develops suitable modelling for materials flow problems; both drives experimental design and validates models
- Works with other team members to transfer the developed technologies to Schlumberger software platforms.
- Provides technical leadership throughout the team and beyond.
- Maintains and expands knowledge of fluid mechanics, complex rheology, multi-physics measurement technologies and related fields.
- Publishes research papers in refereed literature, writes and presents internal technical reports and patents.
- Makes recommendations on research directions, involved in communication of results to management at all levels.
- PhD degree in applied mathematics, physics, engineering, or a related discipline;
- Capable of generating novel research solutions
- Experience with complex fluid flow or flow instabilities or complex rheologies
- A record of significant independent technical contributions in a relevant field
- Strong analytical skills in applied mathematics
The Schlumberger Cambridge Research Centre offers a stimulating research environment with real-world problems that push the limits of scientific knowledge. We are committed to be at the leading edge of science and to incorporate new emerging technologies in Schlumberger's activities. To achieve that we recruit the most talented scientists from a variety of scientific and engineering backgrounds and give them opportunities to advance their fields of expertise as well as to develop solutions of significant industrial impact.
The Schlumberger Cambridge Research Centre strongly encourages the self-development of its scientists, offers high-end experimental facilities and scientific resources, and maintains strong collaborations with academic and industrial research groups worldwide.
Schlumberger is an equal employment opportunity employer. Qualified applicants are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or other characteristics protected by law.
A tradition of excellence and innovation
We’re the world’s leading provider of integrated pore-to-pipeline technology solutions to the oil and gas industry. We’re also a leading employer in our sector—with a reputation for hiring the best and the brightest people and keeping them at the top of their game through rewarding career-long development opportunities.
Each day, in 85 countries, we help our customers find and produce oil and gas in ways that demonstrate respect for both people and the environment. Today’s industry challenges call for new ideas, techniques, and solutions. If you want to drive your career and want to grow with a company that’s embraced new ways of thinking since 1927, we may have the career for you.
Schlumberger is ranked in the Global Top 10 in Rigzone's 2019 Ideal Employer Rankings.