Job Description Purpose
The Environmental Engineer is responsible for working collaboratively with the Country Management Team, Shell Projects & Technology as well as key external stakeholders (e.g. MECA, MOG. ESO etc) to help ensure compliance with corporate and regulatory environmental requirements, provide support and challenge on environmental risks and to help drive environmental performance improvement. The person successful in the role will be part of the Oman Health Safety Security & Environment (HSSE) team and will provide specialist advice on environmental issues, assist with ISO14001 certification, coordinate field studies, support environmental awareness campaigns and training programs and contribute to annual planning, policy and target setting.Accountabilities
- Contributes to the development of a clear, shared vision, of 'no harm to people and protect the environment', using visible and felt leadership skills to inspire environmental performance improvement amongst staff and contractors.
- Support development of, and helps maintain, all associated procedures/guidance/systems/training for environmental compliance and reporting in Oman, with particular focus to air emissions and discharges into the environment i.e. flaring and venting, GHG management, VOCs, NOx and SOx, ozone depleting substances, water into the environment and waste management.
- Acts as a focal point for Environmental Data Monitoring & Reporting; gathers and reviews quality of data submitted for Shell Environmental Reporting System and in-country and LOB leadership reporting of key environmental parameters (KPIs).
- Act as a primary environmental contact for Production & Drilling for day-to-day compliance support and supports environmental reviews (assurance) in the field on contractor's implementation of their environmental management plans (jointly with HSE Field Managers).
- Reviews and investigates environmental incidents such as spills and permit non-compliances, including working with operations to implement corrective actions and prevent recurrence
- Helps prepares for, and maintain, compliance with ISO14001.
- Helps prepare for, and maintain, reasonable assurance for GHG Verification
- Provides specialist environmental support to in country Emergency Response and Crisis Management Teams
- Serve as direct liaison with agency representatives e.g. Ministry of Environment and Climate Affairs (MECA), Ministry of Oil and Gas (MOG) for reporting issues as needed.
The incumbent needs to be a creative individual that demonstrates flexibility of approach while maintaining a fair degree of resilience. Needs to be a team player. Soft skills are as important as technical skills to develop and carry out activities in Oman. The incumbent will be working within an emerging and complex regulatory and risk environment, and will therefore need to demonstrate mastery and deliver novel and creative solutions.Company Description
Shell in Oman has been a partner in the country's remarkable development and progress over the last several decades. In Shell, we have been providing pioneering technologies and expertise in the energy industry and creating value for the community that we have proudly been long part of.Requirements
- This position requires a minimum of 5-7 years' experience working in the environmental field, preferably in an onshore operating asset within the oil & gas exploration and production industry.
- B.S. in Engineering or Sciences
- Has a working knowledge of industry recognized practice requirements as they apply to onshore operations and Oman legislative requirements
- Able to work well with people at all levels within the organization, government agency personnel, non-governmental organisations and other internal and external stakeholders.
- Very strong organizational skills, attention to detail and awareness of regulatory processes
- Ability to manage/oversee contractor work.
- Strong interpersonal, communication and negotiation skills.
- Demonstrable strength in Air Emissions calculations and reporting
- Working effectively across organizational and functional boundaries
- Working with diverse, wide-spread virtual teams
- Self-starter, requires little direction
- Demonstrated ability to manage projects and work processes that may have competing priorities.
- Ability to work through others to achieve results and accomplish goals
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date.
Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world.
The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand.
Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer.