Skills: Mechanical Engineering
Education: High School/Secondary
Employment Type: Full Time Salaried Employee
Location: Bracknell, England, United Kingdom
In order to apply for this position, applicants MUST meet the following criteria. If your resume does not match these criteria, you will not be able to apply for this position.
Senior Mechanical Engineer
Smart Fibres is pre-eminent in the field of fibre-optic sensing specialising in Fibre Bragg Grating systems and is a subsidiary of Halliburton, one of the world's largest providers of products and services to the energy industry. The Company already has a strong international customer base and now wishes to further expand its activities in key fields.
We are looking for a Senior Mechanical Designer who will support the company's growth by strengthening our technology team, especially but not exclusively towards the development of innovative downhole sensor technology.
The mechanical design engineer will be responsible for applying sound engineering principles in the development and documentation of Smart Fibres' Downhole oriented products. The mechanical engineer will be responsible for maintaining the highest standard in any mechanical design. He/she will provide direct instructions, guidelines for other mechanical engineers.
- Designing and developing opto-mechanical sensor design:
- Generation or review of new opto-mechanical sensor design concepts from first principles.
- Enhancing and maintaining current mechanical designs in order to improve the manufacturability and/or the cost.
- 3-D CAD and FEA stress and strain and thermal modelling of candidate designs.
- Performing NPI and support production volume roll-out:
- Generation of manufacturing drawings, bills of materials, route cards.
- Writing of SOP/Work Instructions and testing instructions
- Integrating Mechanical design information on the company ERP
- Formal technical qualifications in a Mechanical Engineering discipline.
- At least 1 or 2 previous experience mechanical engineering experience in a small to medium volume environment
- Mechanical CAD experience (CREO 4.0 and Solid works required).
- Capable of processing a large amount of information from a multidisciplinary environment.
- An innovative mind and capacity for thinking differently
- Acute attention to detail and extremely rigorous, Highly numerate, computer literate (especially MSOffice).
- Self-motivated, pro-active, capable of convincing and challenging others.
- Hands-on, willing to stand up on the shop-floor.
- Excellent interpersonal skills for liaising between the Engineering, Production and Operation teams, effective team player.
- Fluent English speaker.
Desirable skills and experience, one or more of these would be advantageous:
- Design for Manufacturing (DFM).
- Value engineering product development.
- Any manufacturing processes experience (welding, machining, brazing, …)
- Any transducer design experience
- Any numerical Simulation experience with COMSOL metaphysics
- Material science especially metallurgy and nickel alloys
The Ideal Candidate:
- The ideal candidate will have a strong mechanical engineering background in the Oil&Gas sector ideally dealing of downhole tools.
- He/she will be creative and have the capacity to propose original design solutions and to test them with relevant tool (CAD/FEA)
- He/she will possess excellent manual and technical problem solving skills and have excellent attention to detail.
- He/she will have excellent interpersonal skills and the capacity to convince others.
For the right candidate a challenging role within an exciting and rewarding environment awaits. Excellent opportunities exist for career advancement within the Company.
Halliburton is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
3 Brants Bridge, Bracknell, Berkshire, RG12 9BG, United Kingdom
Requisition Number: 75327
Experience Level: Experienced Hire
Job Family: Engineering/Science/Technology
Product Service Line: Production Enhancement
Full Time / Part Time: Full Time
Additional Locations for this position:
Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience.
Founded in 1919, Halliburton is one of the world's largest providers of products and services to the energy industry. With over 50,000 employees, representing 140 nationalities, and operations in approximately 70 countries, the company serves the upstream oil and gas industry throughout the lifecycle of the reservoir – from locating hydrocarbons and managing geological data, to drilling and formation evaluation, well construction, completion and production optimization. Halliburton's fascinating and proud history reveals a continuous focus on innovation and expansion that began with the company's founder, Erle P. Halliburton. After borrowing a wagon, a team of mules and a pump, he built a wooden mixing box and started an oil well cementing business in Duncan, Oklahoma.
In the 1930s, Halliburton established its first research laboratories where the company tested cement mixes, began offering acidizing services to break down the resistance of limestone formations and increase the production of oil and gas, and performed its first offshore cementing job using a barge-mounted cementing unit at a rig in the Creole Field in the Gulf of Mexico. This was the beginning of what was to become the world's most extensive offshore service.
Halliburton took the initial steps toward becoming a worldwide company in 1926. We sold five cementing units to an English company in Burma, the start of our Eastern Hemisphere operations, and Erle P. Halliburton sent his brothers to open our business in Alberta, Canada. We opened in Venezuela in 1940. By 1946, the company – using its innovative technology – had expanded into Colombia, Ecuador, Peru and the Middle East and began performing services for the Arabian-American Oil Company, the forerunner of Saudi Aramco.
In 1951, Halliburton made its first appearance in Europe as Halliburton Italiana SpA., a wholly owned subsidiary in Italy. In the next seven years, Halliburton launched Halliburton Company Germany GmbH, set up operations in Argentina and established a subsidiary in England.
In 1984, Halliburton provided all of the well completion equipment for the first multiwell platform offshore China. Two years later, Halliburton became the first American company to perform an oilfield service job on the China mainland
The final decade of the 20th century brought more changes and growth to Halliburton. The company opened a branch office in Moscow in 1991.
The company realigned its work into Eastern and Western Hemisphere operations in 2006, and in 2007, divided its service offerings into two divisions: Completion and Production, and Drilling and Evaluation.
Today, Halliburton offers the world's broadest array of products, services and integrated solutions for oil and gas exploration, development and production.
To learn more about career opportunities, please visit www.gohalliburton.com.
Halliburton is an equal opportunity employer.