Skills: Mechanical Engineering
Education: Masters Degree
Employment Type: Full Time Salaried Employee
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom
No location/work authorization restrictions found.
Baker Hughes, a GE company (NYSE:BHGE) is the world's first and only fullstream provider of integrated oilfield products, services and digital solutions. Drawing on a storied heritage of invention, BHGE harnesses the passion and experience of its people to enhance productivity across the oil and gas value chain.
BHGE helps its customers acquire, transport and refine hydrocarbons more efficiently, productively and safely, with a smaller environmental footprint and at lower cost per barrel. Backed by the digital industrial strength of GE, the company deploys minds, machines and the cloud to break down silos and reduce waste and risk, applying breakthroughs from other industries to advance its own.
People are a key part of our success and how we do business; hence, we invest in our 64,000+ employees in over 120 countries. Fostering a diverse and inclusive workforce is not just the right thing to do, but critical to achieving a competitive advantage.
Follow Baker Hughes, a GE company on Twitter @BHGECo, or visit us at BHGE.com.
The Lead Product Development Engineer is responsible, under direct supervision, for the execution of the technology strategic plan for either product design improvements or new product initiatives (NPI) employing conventional design techniques. At this level the LPDE will have experience to assist in the design of complex assignments whilst maintaining timescales and meeting key objectives.
- Drive the completion of all technical deliverables within a given NPI program. This includes ensuring that the production, checking and, where required, approval of all deliverables is iaw schedule requirements. These deliverables include drawings, design basis, calculations, data interpretation, specifications (scope, function, testing & qualification).
- Required to provide engineering expertise within a technology development program including supporting the production and/or approval of procedures applicable to product development programs, providing guidance on HSE requirements in relation to product design, manufacture and testing. Also needs to take a leading role in continuous improvement/ cost out activities for product and process enhancements.
- Ensuring that Product Development, Quality, HSE and Engineering processes are followed for all aspects of a given NPI program iaw with BHGE, Industry and client standards, including PLM (Teamcentre) data generation to support sourcing and manufacturing of pipe samples.
- Assessing commercial and contractual aspects/risk for outsourced activities, ensuring completion of all applicable design reviews in relation to specific program schedules and agreed toll gates and in leading idea generation activities to support identification of development and NTI opportunities.
- Required to develop, define and, where applicable, check detailed work package planning and resource schedules to feed in to high level product development program plan.
- Support the timely release of Product Development information for incorporation into design guidelines and/or design tools by the responsible engineers.
- Support the definition of program schedules and deliverables considering all aspects of a given NPI program including production of product specifications, defining program scope and function, testing, qualification, budget, associated documentation and timescales for approved development programs. Generate and/or check technical papers, publications or presentation materials as required.
- Lead technical discussions, clarifications and qualifications with 3rd party IVA and, where applicable, act as the technical POC.
- When required, directly coordinate/lead programs related to the provision of development related services, test rig development and the implementation of bespoke testing with internal test facilities (NIC/RIC), external test houses or 3rd party external consultants ensuring that all BHGE, Industry and client requirements are met.
- Generate check test scopes for product development projects and have responsibility for generation and approval of test plans, FMEA and HAZOP reviews prior to commencement of any small, mid and full-scale testing.
- Undertake or check the writing and research associated with the production of development white papers. Represent the Company at relevant industry forums i.e. JIPs, seminars, conferences, specification bodies and, at suitable level of responsibility, at external customer development programs i.e. TCAs
- Required to raise and co-ordinate development trials in manufacturing plant (Tests & Trials)
- Lead the production of functional and commercial specifications for new manufacturing processes linked to the introduction of new products including generation and checking of documentation for the manufacture of prototypes. Review and approve manufacturing procedures, PQS and SOIs which are related to product design requirements
- Provide a product development consultancy service by interfacing with pipe systems/business development in relation to customer requirements i.e. bid support, design clarifications, qualification envelope, product development presentations, awareness and training to customers
- Oversee investigation, analysis and reporting of product failure for customers.
- Ensure communication of applicable ITO/OTR procedural updates are communicated to the Product Development team.
- Identify and support patent assessments and filing opportunities
• A university degree in an Engineering related subject; Master's degree or equivalent
• Experience at an Engineer level functioning with an increased level of specialization, practice and responsibility plus development of others and demonstrating leadership responsibilities.
• Engineer/scientist working towards chartered status with a recognized institution.
Applications from job seekers who require sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. However, non-EU/EEA candidates may not be appointed to a post if a suitably qualified, experienced and skilled EU/EEA candidate is available to take up the post, as the employing body is unlikely, in these circumstances, to satisfy the Resident Labour Market Test. For further information please visit the UK Border Agency website
• Ability to work to a schedule and conduct work which may involve conflicting project requirements.
• Be a creative thinker to identify near term Engineering solutions.
• Proven attention to detail, with excellent analytical, critical thinking and problem solving .
• Good organisation skills with the ability to directly inform and instruct Engineers, Technicians and other employees of specific engineering and HSE requirements.
• Ability to guide the work within a team environment and technically lead a team of high level engineers.
• Have credibility and be well networked for influence ... able to open doors.
• Proficiency in software applications MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Outlook.
• Self-motivated, self-starter capable of remaining flexible to changing work priorities.
• Excellent communication skills (interpersonal, oral and written).
• Effective at managing multiple priorities under tight deadlines, with the ability to bring assignments to a successful completion.
This is your opportunity to learn more, do more, live the career you have imagined and be part of a truly diverse organization.
Baker Hughes, a GE company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law. Learn more