Skills: Research & Development, Engineering Manager
Education: Masters Degree
Employment Type: Full Time Salaried Employee
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom
No location/work authorization restrictions found.
Baker Hughes, a GE company (NYSE:BHGE) is the world's first and only fullstream provider of integrated oilfield products, services and digital solutions. Drawing on a storied heritage of invention, BHGE harnesses the passion and experience of its people to enhance productivity across the oil and gas value chain.
BHGE helps its customers acquire, transport and refine hydrocarbons more efficiently, productively and safely, with a smaller environmental footprint and at lower cost per barrel. Backed by the digital industrial strength of GE, the company deploys minds, machines and the cloud to break down silos and reduce waste and risk, applying breakthroughs from other industries to advance its own.
People are a key part of our success and how we do business; hence, we invest in our 64,000+ employees in over 120 countries. Fostering a diverse and inclusive workforce is not just the right thing to do, but critical to achieving a competitive advantage.
Follow Baker Hughes, a GE company on Twitter @BHGECo, or visit us at BHGE.com.
The Senior Product Development Engineer is responsible, under direct supervision, for the implementation of the technology strategic plan for either product design improvements or new product initiatives (NPI) employing conventional design techniques. At this level the SPDE will be able to demonstrate creativity and engineering judgement in resolving technology challenges associated with the design of complex assignments whilst maintaining timescales and meeting key objectives.
Required to (technically) lead or be a senior member of a cross functional team supporting internal or external programs.
Key accountabilities include: -
• Ensuring all technical deliverables within a given NPI program are produced, checked and approved by the responsible individuals iaw schedule requirements. These include drawings, design basis, calculations, data interpretation, specifications (scope, function, testing & qualification).
• Providing engineering expertise within a technology development program including production and/or approving procedures applicable to product development programs, providing guidance on HSE requirements in regard to product design, manufacture and testing and driving continuous improvement/ cost out activities for product and process enhancements.
• Ensuring that Product Development, Quality, HSE and Engineering processes are followed for all aspects of a given NPI program iaw with BHGE, Industry and (where applicable) client standards, including PLM (Teamcentre) data generation to support sourcing and manufacturing of pipe samples.
• Assessing commercial and contractual aspects/risk for outsourced activities, ensuring completion of all applicable design reviews in relation to specific program schedules and agreed toll gates and in leading idea generation activities to support identification of development and NTI opportunities.
• Develop, define and, where applicable, check detailed work package planning and resource schedules to feed in to high level product development program plan and drive timely release of Product Development information for incorporation into design guidelines and/or design tools by the responsible engineers.
• Technically lead the definition of program schedules and deliverables considering all aspects of a given NPI program including production of product specifications, defining program scope and function, testing, qualification, budget, associated documentation, resources and timescales for approved development programs.
• Generate and/or check technical papers, publications or presentation materials as required.
• Responsible for technical POC with 3rd party IVA where applicable
• A university degree in an Engineering related subject; Master's degree or equivalent
• Proven years' experience at a Lead Engineer level functioning with an increased level of specialization, practice and responsibility plus development of others and demonstrating leadership responsibilities.
• Chartered engineer/scientist with a recognized institution.
Applications from job seekers who require sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. However, non-EU/EEA candidates may not be appointed to a post if a suitably qualified, experienced and skilled EU/EEA candidate is available to take up the post, as the employing body is unlikely, in these circumstances, to satisfy the Resident Labour Market Test. For further information please visit the UK Border Agency website
• Ability to work to a schedule whilst conducting own and co-ordinating others work which may involve conflicting project requirements.
• Be a creative thinker to identify near and mid term Engineering solutions.
• Proven attention to detail, with excellent analytical, critical thinking and problem solving .
• Good organisation skills with the ability to directly inform and instruct Engineers, Technicians and other employees of specific engineering and HSE requirements.
• Ability to guide the work within a team environment and technically lead a team of high level engineers.
• Have credibility and be well networked for influence ... able to open doors.
• Proficiency in software applications MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Outlook.
• Self-motivated, self-starter capable of remaining flexible to changing work priorities.
• Excellent communication skills (interpersonal, oral and written).
• Effective at managing multiple priorities under tight deadlines, with the ability to bring assignments to a successful completion.
This is your opportunity to learn more, do more, live the career you have imagined and be part of a truly diverse organization.
Baker Hughes, a GE company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law. Learn more