Baker Hughes, a GE company has an opening for a Senior Additive Manufacturing Engineer to develop novel additive manufacturing engineering solutions for Oil and Gas products and services based in Houston, TX.
The ideal candidate will have a deep knowledge in metal Additive Manufacturing across many AM processes. This fast-paced group produces products using AM methods and provides technical and manufacturing support for BHGE through creative AM Solutions. Primary design and process engineering experience requirements are in laser powder-bed fusion (DMLM) and directed energy deposition (DED) systems.
Prerequisite skills include a strong fundamental background in mechanical engineering design and the application of latest metal Additive processes. Candidate should be knowledgeable in various additive materials, process parameters, process application, and design tools. Deep awareness of industry trends, leading companies, and leading consortium/university/international laboratories activities would be a definite plus. It is essential that the candidate have a proven record of accomplishment developing product AM solutions to bring business value. Essential Responsibilities:
- Serve as technical lead on large-scale Additive product development projects
- Obtain product statement of requirements and generate mechanical designs for AM with the goal of meeting performance requirements
- Perform conceptual and detailed design on projects through CAD and DfAM principles, iterate designs, complete qualification and release new AM products
- Apply additive design tools such as topology optimization and generative design concepts specific to DfAM using standard commercial software
- Support preparation, programming, and operation of additive manufacturing metal systems.
- Deliver on assigned tasks in an allotted period of time and work with minimum guidance and supervision
- Collaborates with Engineering teams, material scientists to identify and drive projects to that demonstrate the benefits of using Additive Manufacturing
- Enable increased usage of Design for AM by facilitating communication and sharing best practices.
- Communicate and lead design and process discussions and requirements specific to using AM to enable product innovation and/or maximize supply chain efficiency
- Support internal and external customers by concurrently works on multiple projects to ensure program cost, quality and schedule requirements are met.
- Provides technical guidance for team members and business unit teams in the form of training, mentoring, talent development, and work verification.
- Organize and contribute to ideation and brainstorming events
- Create AM Intellectual Property specific to the O&G industry
- Serve as Subject matter expert in DMLM Design, DED design
- Research new AM manufacturing technologies and introduce promising technologies to the AM groups
- Use understanding of Oil and Gas metallurgy needs and product applications in creating AM solutions
- Evaluate AM proposals for modality selection and business value
- Challenge internal thinking to accelerate AM adoption across the Enterprise
- Minimum master's Degree in Mechanical Engineering with emphasis in Additive Technology and 10+ years of work experience
- 5+ years of experience designing products for Direct Metal Laser Melting and/or Directed Energy Deposition (DED)
- Experience in the field of manufacturing technologies such as powder metallurgy welding, laser technology etc.
- Understanding of complex mechanical assemblies and products for multiple industries
- Working CAD and FEA knowledge using SOLIDWORKS and ANSYS or equivalent
- Proven ability to lead and initiate projects to completion
- Strong interpersonal skills and stakeholder management
- Prior experience and successful enablement of AM parts designed for light-weighting, topology optimization, lattice design structures etc.
- Direct experience working on leading AM machine models like EOS, SLM solutions, concept Laser etc.
- Ability to communicate effectively with cross-departmental teams of staff and executives
- Good grasp of engineering systems, processes, controls and quality best practices
- Ability to manage AM projects with a sense of urgency
- Experience validating and testing materials in laboratory and ability to be hands-on in validating engineering concepts
- Basic project management skills and ability to self-initiate projects
- Held Design Engineering lead positions with focus on Additive Manufacturing
- Demonstrated AM subject matter expert through patents and/or published articles
- Demonstrated expertise serving as AM Process engineer for > 5 years
- Knowledge of all mechanical engineering standards, material specifications, O&G standards and participation in industry consortiums
- Certified Professional Engineer (P.E.) in mechanical engineering
- Industry AM knowledge, participation and recognition
- Prior experience and successes applying generative design principles for light-weighting, topology optimization, lattice design structures etc.
Houston, Texas (Relocation Assistance Provided)
This is your opportunity to learn more, do more, live the career you have imagined and be part of a truly diverse organization and work on advanced technology with a tremendous opportunity for career growth.
Baker Hughes, a GE company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law. Learn more